YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot".

+13
HappyKweer
TigersEyeDowsing
wmdkitty
ZenYen
Genocon
Ottr
sacrificialgoddess
gillyflower
John T Mainer
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Davelaw
DotNotInOz
DeavonReye
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Empty I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot".

Post by DeavonReye Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

I love it when a christian calls a person an "idiot" when they state that it isn't for them to "disprove their claim". What do they really think makes sense with that way of thinking? I mean, . . . come on! I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Icon_lol
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Empty Re: I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot".

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Nothing like some of St. Paul's recommended love, huh?

Apparently, they've never heard that the burden of proof is upon the person making the claim.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Empty Re: I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot".

Post by Davelaw Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm

except Faith isn't really subject to evidence hence why we call it Faith
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm

It does depend on who started it.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 pm

It pretty much depends on the intent. If you, an atheist, is attempting to convince me, a Pagan, that there are no gods the burden of proof is on you. If I, a pagan, am attempting to prove that my gods exist, the burden of proof is on me.

If you are demanding that someone surrender an existing belief because of the strength of your argument, the burden of proof is on you. If someone is asking you to surrender existing belief on the basis of their argument, the burden of proof is entirely on them.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I just don't see the point of trying to convince someone else that there are gods or how many. Either the gods will supply each person with enough proof or they won't.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

While it's commonly said that faith doesn't need evidence, I'm more inclined to Mark Twain's view of faith:

There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the school boy who said, Faith is believing what you know ain't so. [emphasis added]
-Following the Equator, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

OMMV, of course.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, I'm not an atheist, but I guess I just have to wonder how someone can assert a christian doctrine, yet be so vile and offensive [language, insults] while doing so. It is hypocritical.

Anyway, what do you think about this "evidence for his god"?
* The Earth is round, not flat as once believed (Isaiah 40:22).
* Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6).
* Field of Gravity (Job 26:7).
* Biological importance of blood to life (Leviticus 17:11).
*Statements consistent with Paleontology. For instance, several books in the Bible refer to dinosaurs. Job 40:15 and 41:1 speak of two such creatures.

Just curious.

And I agree that each person should be able to decide which god, gods, goddesses they want to believe in, . . . but that's is dependent upon their ability to be polite and not offer up threats of some eternal bad luck.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Anyone who feels the need to offer proofs for his god must have a pretty weak god
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Anybody who needs to disprove someone elses god(s) must secretly fear them.

Honestly, life is to short to worry about other peoples beliefs. Its not like we all have our own lives perfected.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

You said it, brother
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I have never understood why some Christians think the bible is proof of their god or anything else. What happened to "Don't believe everything you read!"

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:27 pm

John and All: You guys deserve hugs for those posts! I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". 382472

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:30 pm

John T Mainer wrote:Anybody who needs to disprove someone elses god(s) must secretly fear them.

Honestly, life is to short to worry about other peoples beliefs. Its not like we all have our own lives perfected.

Hmmmmmm. . . . . . . . I wonder if that has some validity to me. I was so indoctrinated, most of my life, that now that I'm walking away from it, there's a small part that worries about "consequences". But I know that I can't condone many of the biblical accounts, nor even the main christian doctrine of "a blood sacrifice". . . . so I fight against those who believe it. I could be stiffling my spiritual advancement by continually fighting with them. It is something to think about.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Well you know Deavon, one of the keys to changing to a new religion is dealing with the crap of the old religion. Heaven, hell, what people assert is true without thinking about it, all that is a part of it.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:45 pm

In my tradition, have a - wait a minute, I don't think anyone would mind if I posted:

The Affirmation of Acknowledgment:

I: I acknowledge the presence of other faiths* on my planet, indeed, right here in my city/town/village. I acknowledge that the followers of these faiths feel as strongly, maybe more so, than I do about mine.

II: I forgive the other faiths and wipe clean the slate between us. I cannot hold a person responsible for the acts of their faith, I cannot hold a faith at fault for individual practitioners. It is not my place to convert, or otherwise alter a person's religion. I invite discussion of beliefs without judgment of those holding them.

III: I acknowledge that I may be wrong, and I have found comfort in the fact that I may be right.

http://www.cuew.org/affirmation.html

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:49 pm

#2 is the one I struggle with. Almost constantly. Bad experiences.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah, I can see that. And it makes me a bit maddened when I see the old religious themes I once believed. . . . and the way these people promote it as "either believe it or you make your own place in the eternal hell". They teach this stuff to their kids and warp THEIR minds like mine was warped. . . . . . . I mean, MY GOD, I'm 41 and have residual "fear that I'm disappointing the big heavenly dad"! Perhaps that is the reason why I find myself on these sites [like the latest one on YouTube that caused this thread] and making comments that piss off christians . . . . .or [again] in the latest debate, a "christian". Seriously this guy cusses worse that I do and constantly berates me. Body of Christ, my ass. I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Icon_rolleyes
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 am

DeavonReye wrote:
John T Mainer wrote:Anybody who needs to disprove someone elses god(s) must secretly fear them.

Hmmmmmm. . . . . . . . I wonder if that has some validity to me. I was so indoctrinated, most of my life, that now that I'm walking away from it, there's a small part that worries about "consequences". But I know that I can't condone many of the biblical accounts, nor even the main christian doctrine of "a blood sacrifice". . . . so I fight against those who believe it. I could be stiffling my spiritual advancement by continually fighting with them. It is something to think about.

It is a branch point in your personal development when you realize you reject the path you had been placed on. It is good to say that you don't believe in this, that you reject this; it is a mistake to say you are opposed to it. Rather than turning against a path that is wrong for you, turn towards a path that is right for you.

Perhaps you will find a path that suits you better, or perhaps you will blaze a trail that others may follow after you. In any case, let it be because you believe in the road you are following, not that it runs in opposition to what you rejected. You will find it easier to hear the shining voices calling to you when you stop shouting against the shadows you have rejected.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottr Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:34 am

Well said John.
It’s entirely too easy to get caught up in a verbal battle of opposition with someone who has expressed to you that you are following the arch enemy of their religion. You find after pages of posts that you are, as John so eloquently put it, shouting at shadows.
A lesson I have recently been reminded of.
Ottr
Ottr

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

DeavonReye wrote:...I was so indoctrinated, most of my life, that now that I'm walking away from it, there's a small part that worries about "consequences". But I know that I can't condone many of the biblical accounts, nor even the main christian doctrine of "a blood sacrifice". . . . so I fight against those who believe it. I could be stiffling my spiritual advancement by continually fighting with them. It is something to think about.

Perhaps you'll find as I did, Deavon, that it takes a long while to get over your anger at your former faith, and even anger at yourself for feeling guilty about being unable to justify believing its teachings anymore. Indoctrination does that to a person oftentimes. That's part of the early stages of moving away from what was to what-the-hell-will-work-for-me-now.

Fighting with them will do no good any way you look at it. You know they're simply going to dismiss you as speeding along the fast lane to hell.

Why not expend that energy exploring various faiths and belief systems to see if you can find one that suits you better?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Well, I'm not an atheist, but I guess I just have to wonder how someone can assert a christian doctrine, yet be so vile and offensive [language, insults] while doing so. It is hypocritical.

Anyway, what do you think about this "evidence for his god"?
* The Earth is round, not flat as once believed (Isaiah 40:22).
* Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6).
* Field of Gravity (Job 26:7).
* Biological importance of blood to life (Leviticus 17:11).
*Statements consistent with Paleontology. For instance, several books in the Bible refer to dinosaurs. Job 40:15 and 41:1 speak of two such creatures.

Just curious.

And I agree that each person should be able to decide which god, gods, goddesses they want to believe in, . . . but that's is dependent upon their ability to be polite and not offer up threats of some eternal bad luck.

He's confusing apologetics with evidence for God's existence. Those passages may be evidence that ancient Hebrews were not as primitive as believed by some; and that other passages were mere figures of speech or colloquialisms- 4 corners of the earth, rising and seting sun etc...
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Good words, you all.

Dave, he wouldn't address such things. . . . like "hail stones stored in heavenly storehouses for times of battle". He would just mock.

John, Ottr, and Dot, . . . it has been a tough deconversion at times. I'm glad that I, at least, have a brother and sis-in-law that blazed a trail before me into the earth based religions. Maybe I SHOULD begin to limit my focus on my old religion . . . . and start looking for what will work for me. . . . . . . maybe "the old religions", if you know what I mean. Hehehe Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond to this thread. I was getting pretty upset yesterday, . . . not feeling that I was wrong, but the way this hypocrite was talking trash while defending a faith that would be abhorantly against such language.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Most Christians I've known were decidedly un-Christian in their haste to condemn others.

Hang out here with us. We'll help you along the path to perdition, and you'll have a helluva lot more fun along the way, I guarantee. Twisted Evil
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:28 pm

I enjoy fun as much as the next guy! I can't "disprove god", . . . so I'm the "idiot". Icon_twisted

Thanks!
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next