YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Married longest?

+15
Beribee
LeahOne
TigersEyeDowsing
DotNotInOz
OmarKhayyam
AutumnalTone
allthegoodnamesweretaken
wontgetfooledagain
gillyflower
ItsAllALie
Mintie
John T Mainer
Gorm_Sionnach
MaineCaptain
sacrificialgoddess
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Married longest? - Page 2 Empty Re: Married longest?

Post by AutumnalTone Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 am

Wife and I just made it four years...and she celebrated by getting sick. (She celebrated our honeymoon in the hospital, almost dying, so it fits that she'd get sick on our anniversary.)

THis is my third marriage. Could be I'm a slow learner.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:42 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:9 years now. Engaged for 4 years before that.

all

Four year engagement? That's a long time.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 am

We wanted to get through undergrad first. If we were both studying at the same time, in the same house, we probably would have killed each other.

Very Happy
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:55 am

Damn, looks like I'm still on the uphill slope. There is no magic in a wedding ring that you don't both put into it, but the day one stops trying is the day that it begins to die. The only thing that remains is the other person figuring that out.

We've hit some bumps along the way, but with both of us still striving, our marriage was able to come out stronger. Had either one of us decided to coast, I can honestly say some of the bumps were quite enough to open the wound the marriage would have bled out from.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAllALie Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 am

SeventhCrow wrote:Wife and I just made it four years...and she celebrated by getting sick. (She celebrated our honeymoon in the hospital, almost dying, so it fits that she'd get sick on our anniversary.)

THis is my third marriage. Could be I'm a slow learner.

Oh hell, my father's been married FIVE times,,,,,,,this one seems to have stuck,,,,,,,they've been married 26 years. The first 4 lasted from a few months to a couple years (my mother).
ItsAllALie
ItsAllALie

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:01 pm

John T Mainer wrote:Damn, looks like I'm still on the uphill slope. There is no magic in a wedding ring that you don't both put into it, but the day one stops trying is the day that it begins to die. The only thing that remains is the other person figuring that out.

We've hit some bumps along the way, but with both of us still striving, our marriage was able to come out stronger. Had either one of us decided to coast, I can honestly say some of the bumps were quite enough to open the wound the marriage would have bled out from.

I know what you mean. Two big things that I learned from my father were "It takes two people to make a marriage work, but only one to make it fail." and "there is no such thing as woman's work, or man's work, there is simply work that needs to be done."

Of course, I think I was about 6 or 7 at the time, so I had no idea what he was saying, but they did stick with me anyway.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 pm

ItsAllALie wrote:
wontgetfooledagain wrote:I was married for 18 years, and have been divorced now for 4 years.

I have two beautiful children as the result of that marriage. And this is probably strange to those of you who are divorced.. but I'm attending my ex-wife's wedding this year... and have become good friends with the guy she is marrying.

Rob

I heard somewhere that the greatest gift a man could give his children is to love his children's mother,,,,,

I'm not suggesting that people stay married "for the sake of the children",,,,,the opposite in fact,,,,,one of the best ways we can "love" someone, sometimes, is to let them go, show respect, and care about their happiness,,,,,,,

Staying married for the sake of the children is a mistake in my opinion. First, you are not doing them any favors. My ex and I had thought about staying together until both our kids were out of high school... but kids are smart.. they know when things aren't going well. When the time came to tell both of our kids that we were getting divorced.. it was no surprise at all to them.

It's an incredible gift to your children that you can "love" (read: respect, value, befriend, show decency, forgive, etc) your ex-wife,,,,,,,

I'm not going to kid you, divorce is difficult.. no matter how much respect you may have for the other person. It's a painful process, but one that we had to go through. Four years ago would I even think that it would be possible for me to attend her wedding.. let alone become friends with her fiancé? No... I never thought anything like that would happen. But time does heal wounds....

But... through it all, we have always seen eye to eye on our kids. We both have tried to maintain a "normal" family life with them. That is.. I still attend family events on my ex-wife's side of the family.. and she attends events on mine. We both got along great with our in-laws... and still do.

Life goes on...

Now.. if only I can find someone for me, again. Can anybody fix me up? Wink

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

http://www.myspace.com/robertvincentmusic

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:39 pm

wontgetfooledagain wrote:
ItsAllALie wrote:
wontgetfooledagain wrote:I was married for 18 years, and have been divorced now for 4 years.

I have two beautiful children as the result of that marriage. And this is probably strange to those of you who are divorced.. but I'm attending my ex-wife's wedding this year... and have become good friends with the guy she is marrying.

Rob

I heard somewhere that the greatest gift a man could give his children is to love his children's mother,,,,,

I'm not suggesting that people stay married "for the sake of the children",,,,,the opposite in fact,,,,,one of the best ways we can "love" someone, sometimes, is to let them go, show respect, and care about their happiness,,,,,,,

Staying married for the sake of the children is a mistake in my opinion. First, you are not doing them any favors. My ex and I had thought about staying together until both our kids were out of high school... but kids are smart.. they know when things aren't going well. When the time came to tell both of our kids that we were getting divorced.. it was no surprise at all to them.

It's an incredible gift to your children that you can "love" (read: respect, value, befriend, show decency, forgive, etc) your ex-wife,,,,,,,

I'm not going to kid you, divorce is difficult.. no matter how much respect you may have for the other person. It's a painful process, but one that we had to go through. Four years ago would I even think that it would be possible for me to attend her wedding.. let alone become friends with her fiancé? No... I never thought anything like that would happen. But time does heal wounds....

But... through it all, we have always seen eye to eye on our kids. We both have tried to maintain a "normal" family life with them. That is.. I still attend family events on my ex-wife's side of the family.. and she attends events on mine. We both got along great with our in-laws... and still do.

Life goes on...

Rob

Well the way I see it, you have two options. 1. Have the ex set you up; she will have your best interests at heart, or 2. Marry Cap! Wink
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:06 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
wontgetfooledagain wrote:
ItsAllALie wrote:

Rob

Life goes on...

Rob

Well the way I see it, you have two options. 1. Have the ex set you up; she will have your best interests at heart, or 2. Marry Cap! Wink

LOL.. actually my ex has been trying!! LOL.. but something about that just feels weird. affraid

As for Cap... are you talking about Maine? If so.. I could only hope to be so lucky. Smile

wontgetfooledagain

http://www.myspace.com/robertvincentmusic

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:49 pm

That is who I am talking about. She needs a good man. You are people's exhibit A. Smile
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:32 pm

(((((((((SG))))))) You are such a sweet lady Embarassed

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Let's see, my first ex-wife and I have been at least civil, and usually friendly since we split up. My second ex-wife and I have been friendly since we split.

Indeed, she tracked me down a while after we split (she wanted the divorce) and apologized to me. She'd figured out that I wasn't responsible for her unhappiness and that she was just lashing out at me rather than dealing with her personal issues. Not that we're actually compatible for long-term day-to-day living, so it's best we're not married.

The current wife...well, she keeps trying to tell me I love her. I have to keep reminding her that I don't even like her--I just tolerate her a little bit. Prolly throw her out next week, I will. To the curb, I tell you! Whistling
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:Let's see, my first ex-wife and I have been at least civil, and usually friendly since we split up. My second ex-wife and I have been friendly since we split.

Indeed, she tracked me down a while after we split (she wanted the divorce) and apologized to me. She'd figured out that I wasn't responsible for her unhappiness and that she was just lashing out at me rather than dealing with her personal issues. Not that we're actually compatible for long-term day-to-day living, so it's best we're not married.

The current wife...well, she keeps trying to tell me I love her. I have to keep reminding her that I don't even like her--I just tolerate her a little bit. Prolly throw her out next week, I will. To the curb, I tell you! Whistling

And people wonder why you have relationship problems. Wink
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:20 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:Let's see, my first ex-wife and I have been at least civil, and usually friendly since we split up. My second ex-wife and I have been friendly since we split.

You are a stinker, you are.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Married longest? - Page 2 Empty I WIN!!

Post by OmarKhayyam Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 pm

OK I will claim this prize. No question. Laughing

March 20 last was 49 yrs. only marriage for either of us. Met in a class at UC, married in Bond Chapel, 1st son born in Lying In (now the UC Hospital and Med School). He graduated from UC 1985, English, BA.

We have 3 children, 5 G/C and one G/G/Grandson
OmarKhayyam
OmarKhayyam

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Congratulations Omar !!!! Clap

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:55 pm

No doubt about it. Omar Wins!!!
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OmarKhayyam Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:09 pm

I accept. Whistling

Thank you very much, Shuffle

LoLFlag

We still say when asked, "We never thought about divorce, just murder."
OmarKhayyam
OmarKhayyam

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Married longest? - Page 2 I-has-a-marriage

Married longest? - Page 2 965300457_618cf7ffa4

Married longest? - Page 2 2269028338_937ba02c23_o
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Congratulations Omar!!!! That is terrific!!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:10 pm

I've figured out my relationship problem. It's women. They're bad for me.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:12 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:No doubt about it. Omar Wins!!!

He was a quick learner!
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:13 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:

I've figured out my relationship problem. It's women. They're bad for me.

Well, you don't strike me as the type to switch sides, so I guess you have a problem there.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Exactly! Tantrum
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAllALie Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 am

OmarKhayyam wrote:I accept. Whistling

Thank you very much, Shuffle

LoLFlag

We still say when asked, "We never thought about divorce, just murder."

lol! Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical

and it's so freaking hilarious BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!! Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical
ItsAllALie
ItsAllALie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next