YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every and anything is possible with magic!!

+12
Beribee
sacrificialgoddess
RevJohn
Willowcreek70633
DotNotInOz
tmarie64
john5180
AutumnalTone
gillyflower
TigersEyeDowsing
Davelaw
garu
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Every and anything is possible with magic!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Every and anything is possible with magic!!

Post by DotNotInOz Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:22 am

gillyflower wrote:You don't think that they bother to read the rules before they post, do you Dot? Besides we remove either their post or the link immediately.

I wasn't by any means implying that they read the rules. However, I thought perhaps admin would wish to cover your bases.

Lately, more such postings have remained with only the link removed. I don't see why we need any portion of such stuff. I haven't seen one of these guys return to discuss with us, so what's the point of leaving any of them?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Every and anything is possible with magic!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Every and anything is possible with magic!!

Post by gillyflower Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 am

It gets us posting? Smile

We should put it to a vote though on how many just want them removed as opposed to remove the link.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:36 am

gillyflower wrote:It gets us posting? Smile

We need encouragement to do THAT? Wow! Who'da thunk it? scratch Laughing

We should put it to a vote though on how many just want them removed as opposed to remove the link.

Good idea.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:29 am

Works for me!

Here's an idea... Whatever admin gets to it first will remove any links... then ask for a vote on removal...after, I don't know, 24 hours(?), or whatever time we decide on, the option with the most votes is what we do...

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Very sensible. That way if it turns into something interesting we can leave it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Ya know, Kids.... I am the world's worst speller. When my kids were in school, they came to me for help in history, grammar and their lit classes, but never with spelling or math. Now, I took effective writing courses in collage. The last one I took was at the University of Texas in El Paso. There I had a professor; yes she was a full professor (a PhD) who admitted to us that she couldn't spell. She believed there are two distinct types of people in the world.... those who can, and those who simply can't spell. She did however suggest that we own up to our deficits, and carry along a dictionary when we where in a situation, particularly if it were a report that would be forwarded to a superior in a chain of command. Today, there is spell check. And there is no excuse for any computer not to have it installed. Run on sentences.... no punctuation? People tend to write as they speak, so that ought to give you an idea of how they would be like in a face to face conversation. Perhaps the OP is just as boring face to face as she was here?Sleep Who knows? Rolling Eyes
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I agree with your professor, John. Things I've read about it point to a genetic component.

I've never had a problem spelling nor did my mom. My dad struggled with spelling, and my kid sister has problems with it, too.

F. Scott Fitzgerald was a terrible speller; his manuscripts required extensive editing.

What research has shown is that kids whose parents speak with suitable grammar have much less difficulty writing grammatically than the dese/dem ones.

Intelligence is a factor, of course, but habit patterns formed in early childhood appear to have a much greater influence.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Fitzgerald was a nice enough guy, but man he put me to sleep.

The mental home down the street where Zelda burned to death is still up for sale, Dot. I think it's a beautiful, and creepy, place.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Every and anything is possible with magic!! - Page 3 Hig2

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:35 pm

I know highly educated, highly intelligent stupid people. Stupid is a state of being, it has nothing to do with intelligence.
A stupid person is one who CHOOSES to remain ignorant and cling to that ignorance like it's a lifeboat. Stupid is a lazy person who, like the op, expects everyone to work to understand him instead of working to make himself understood.
The op spelled everything correctly, even commonly misspelled words, as I have already pointed out. But the op was too stupid to make herself understood. Even after I broke it up into sentence size bits, it was still rather incomprehensible.
Stupid people assume that everyone gives a flying shit about what they have to say. They forget that the world is not their momma and doesn't really give a damn about them.
Oh, and "dese/dem" doesn't have a damn thing to do with grammar. I am offended by that. I know MANY people who say "dese/dem", who are also grammatically correct and would NEVER write shit like the first post of this thread.
"dese/dem" is PRONUNCIATION and is as colloquial as "coke vs soda".

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:36 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Every and anything is possible with magic!! - Page 3 Hig2

I LOVE that place!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Aw, let's buy it.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:40 pm

I wish!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:13 pm

tmarie64 wrote:I know highly educated, highly intelligent stupid people. Stupid is a state of being, it has nothing to do with intelligence.
A stupid person is one who CHOOSES to remain ignorant and cling to that ignorance like it's a lifeboat. Stupid is a lazy person who, like the op, expects everyone to work to understand him instead of working to make himself understood.
The op spelled everything correctly, even commonly misspelled words, as I have already pointed out. But the op was too stupid to make herself understood. Even after I broke it up into sentence size bits, it was still rather incomprehensible.
Stupid people assume that everyone gives a flying shit about what they have to say. They forget that the world is not their momma and doesn't really give a damn about them.
Oh, and "dese/dem" doesn't have a damn thing to do with grammar. I am offended by that. I know MANY people who say "dese/dem", who are also grammatically correct and would NEVER write shit like the first post of this thread.

Even ignorance is a state of being, Marie. To me being ignorant is simply uneducated. There's no fault in being ignorant. Children are "ignorant" from birth, but are capable of learning. Ignorance can be fixed. Now stupid, (again IMO) are ignorant people who are proud of their ignorance. We see them all over, and it isn't restricted to someone who talks as if they just came from the country, or speaks in ebonics. There are so called well educated, but ingrained with a fixed idea, or are too damn lazy to do their on research on matters and are proud of the fact that they are stuck in that vacuum. You can fix ignorant, but you just can't fix stupid.

Last edited by john5180 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Every and anything is possible with magic!! - Page 3 Hig2

Ya know; I like that house too. I don't see anything creepy about it; in fact, just the opposite. I wonder if it's haunted....... I wonder how much the price tag is..... I wonder where it is....... But mostly, I wonder if Dee would even consider the idea of buying and moving into it. scratch

Actually, I see "bed and breakfast" written all over it! Cool Wink
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:33 pm

http://prudential.mlskit.com/residential/details/393137_49_ZILLICOA_STREET_Asheville

It's only 2.49 million, John. Estimated Monthly Payment: $15,374.61.

Tell Dee to sell those antiques and let's buy the sucker! I can run a B&B. Of course there's 5 others on the same street to compete with. But check out the staircase!

Oh, it has a very creepy feel from the outside, even before I realized (lots of) people died there. Not an evil creepy, but very creepy nonetheless.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:41 pm

tmarie64 wrote:

What John said about this.

We don't know if the OP is stupid, ignorant or both.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pronounces "these" and "them" that way in situations other than casual ones or on some jobs sounds just as bad as the OP reads.

DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:49 pm

John said exactly what I said. And like you, I am entitled to my opinion...My opinion is that the op of this thread is stupid. She's not "ignorant", I just find it hard to believe that someone who spells so well can be THAT ignorant of EVERY SINGLE rule of grammar. Capitalizing at the beginning of sentences... learned in first grade and I don't know anyone who doesn't know that.
I don't think she's ignorant, I think she's lazy and stupid.

When trying to convince people of something one MUST make some sort of effort to make one's argument understandable.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 pm

tmarie64 wrote:John said exactly what I said. And like you, I am entitled to my opinion...My opinion is that the op of this thread is stupid. She's not "ignorant", I just find it hard to believe that someone who spells so well can be THAT ignorant of EVERY SINGLE rule of grammar. Capitalizing at the beginning of sentences... learned in first grade and I don't know anyone who doesn't know that.
I don't think she's ignorant, I think she's lazy and stupid.

When trying to convince people of something one MUST make some sort of effort to make one's argument understandable.

(shrugs)She did a good job of convincing me that she's not someone I'd rush to get into a conversation with. Laughing Does that count? Clap
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't understand why this post has received such an emotional response. Who cares? Perhaps the person isn't stupid or ignorant....maybe she just doesn't give a damn! In which case, why do we? IMO the best way to get rid of posters like these is to simply ignore the post and delete it!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:42 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
tmarie64 wrote:

What John said about this.

We don't know if the OP is stupid, ignorant or both.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pronounces "these" and "them" that way in situations other than casual ones or on some jobs sounds just as bad as the OP reads.

Dot, down here where I live, there are a lot of folks who use the words dee (for the), dem (for them), dis (for this) and dat (for that). They also tend to use double negatives, such as "You can't do dat, no." Their accent has a strong Cajun flavor to it, but never in a million years would I call any of them ignorant, or even stupid.

john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Beribee wrote:I don't understand why this post has received such an emotional response. Who cares? Perhaps the person isn't stupid or ignorant....maybe she just doesn't give a damn! In which case, why do we? IMO the best way to get rid of posters like these is to simply ignore the post and delete it!

Well, there's that, Beri. But then again, if she was a drive by, she's done that for us. I don't know if you could say I have been what one would call emotional over the post..... perhaps fanning the flame. But I disagree with removing any post simply because she failed to make an argument. I've seen other posters on other boards who were just as bad as she was about staking out an argument, or making a statement, and although I wouldn't necessarily engage them in a discussion, I don't see how removing a post solves the problem..... unless that is the person becomes truly disruptive, which I haven't witnessed with this poster.

One would think from those wanting to remove her posts, or get her (or anyone else for that matter) blocked from being able to post that unless one is able to articulate a thought in a manner suitable for a dissertation, people ought not even be allowed to post at all. That notion scares me.
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:56 pm

I agree, John. I would definitely prefer to simply ignore the post than delete it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am

John remarked: Dot, down here where I live, there are a lot of folks who use the words dee (for the), dem (for them), dis (for this) and dat (for that). They also tend to use double negatives, such as "You can't do dat, no." Their accent has a strong Cajun flavor to it, but never in a million years would I call any of them ignorant, or even stupid.

Of course, John. And that's what I meant about using language appropriate for the situation. An area can be a situation. Although I suspect that schoolteachers and lawyers, for instance, don't use Cajun dialect in the classroom or courtroom...

My husband grew up near the Flatbush area of Brooklyn--the dese-dem-fuggedaboudit section. People he meets out here often remark, "You don't sound like you're from Brooklyn," not knowing that that dialect is identified with the city as a whole largely in movies and tv shows. Now, Drew is familiar enough with that dialect that he can lapse into it for them, which convinces them that he really is from the area. Professional people, which both his parents were, do not speak that way typically, and he was raised speaking Standard English with very little accent.

The point here has always been that you select a level of usage appropriate for your purpose. Tina makes an excellent point that since the OP wished to persuade people she doesn't know, her level of usage is hardly likely to do that. It makes her seem ignorant or stupid, and who is inclined to agree with someone who appears to be really dumb?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:58 am

Dot, I agree she probably isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer... That manifested itself in the shear fact she would go to whatever lengths she did to try and get him back. She is probably a victim of abuse, and feels this is the best she deserves.... who knows. Now if I were in that situation; the point of resorting to magic, I'm put a spell on this person to have flies inexplicably come out of his mouth each time he talked to someone. However she didn't.... That hit the top of my dumb move factor right there. Not being able to put two words together to form a sentence might indicate dumb, or just poorly, or inadequately educated... Either one would surely get her tied down to a slug who would treat her as she's been treated by her husband, and she decided to speak out on it as best she could. I think a little latitude is in order here when considering the hurt she must have been feeling.

Another thing... I wouldn't expect a doctor or lawyer to speak in dialect either. However, again, considering that most write in the same manner they speak, even including jargon, I strongly suspect we aren't talking about a professional here. My point being that if I were talking to a native of Ville Platte, or Flatbush on a local street corner, I have serious doubts that I'm gonna be talking to a professional person... that is, unless he's a vendor or local customer service rep. I have taken too many sworn depositions from people in that circumstance to come to understand all too well people can have dialect even with the written word.
john5180
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next