YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment

+4
John T Mainer
TigersEyeDowsing
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Sakhaiva
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Empty How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:47 pm

Greetings!

I'm bringing this from another thread as it seems like a worthy "multi-faith" topic

How do you define Spiritual Enlightenment?
Is it learned through the teachings of certain faiths, or is it experiential?
What does 'Spiritual Enlightenment' look like lived out?

Perhaps more interesting.... how does your specific faith view spiritual enlightenment?

Peace!
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Empty Re: How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:00 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
How do you define Spiritual Enlightenment?

Understanding.

Sakhaiva wrote:
Is it learned through the teachings of certain faiths, or is it experiential?

Both.

Sakhaiva wrote:

What does 'Spiritual Enlightenment' look like lived out?

Before one is spiritually enlightened, mountains are mountains, and rivers are rivers.
When one is becoming spiritually enlightened, mountains are no longer mountains, and rivers are no longer rivers.
When one is spiritually enlightened, mountains are again mountains, and rivers are again rivers.

Sakhaiva wrote:
Perhaps more interesting.... how does your specific faith view spiritual enlightenment?

Pragmatically.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Empty Re: How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Mother Mary defines it as "Being at peace, no matter what is going on around you." I like that.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Mother Mary defines it as "Being at peace, no matter what is going on around you." I like that.

But I think that is only part of it.

I think a more accurate description of it would be that one is not disturbed by that which is going on around them.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Mother Mary defines it as "Being at peace, no matter what is going on around you." I like that.

I think a more accurate description of it would be that one is not disturbed by that which is going on around them.

all

I'm missing the difference...?

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:25 pm

It depends on how one views peace, and what one thinks that the effect on them which occurs around them is.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Ah, I see where you're going with that I think.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Enlightenment is a road, not a destination. Like Odin, we are all becoming, our growth and transformation continues at least until our deaths and perhaps beyond.

To say you are enlightened is to say that you are finished.

Along the way you learn to better enjoy and survive the moment of now, and better plan for the moments to come.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm

all

Do you define 'disturbed' as 'complete lack of response (meaning neither emotional nor physical)?
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:52 pm

John T Mainer wrote:Enlightenment is a road, not a destination. Like Odin, we are all becoming, our growth and transformation continues at least until our deaths and perhaps beyond.

To say you are enlightened is to say that you are finished.

Along the way you learn to better enjoy and survive the moment of now, and better plan for the moments to come.

Thank you JT... I really like how you laid this out.

It often pains me that our Western society (seems to) no longer value our elders. If we are all becoming and growing until we pass into the unknown, then respect needs to be a part of the equation. Instead, it feels as though we mistrust our elders.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:

all

Do you define 'disturbed' as 'complete lack of response (meaning neither emotional nor physical)?

Kind of.

But it wouldn't qualify if one just sat and was undisturbed and didn't pay any attention to what was going on around them. Might as well be dead then.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 pm

You know, I don't have a concept of this in my religion. You either have a connection/relationship with the gods or you don't.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Once heard it said that the unenlightened discuss what enlightenment is. The enlightened simply are.

Some merit to that view, IMO. Cool
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Those who can, do, those who can't, teach?
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Ummm...no.

I think I've given adequate evidence here that unlike some unfortunates out there, I DO have command of Standard English...and used to teach high school English and speech. And yes, teachers get damn' tired of hearing that old saw...

Although, honest to God, I once walked into a colleague's classroom to ask her something and noticed she'd written a warning to her students on the chalkboard about their forthcoming composition,

"Mispelled words will not be tollerated."

I gestured toward the board, laughed and said something like, "If an order doesn't do it, a joke might."

She looked blank and said, "What do you mean, a joke?"

It quickly became evident that SHE didn't know she'd misspelled two words in that!

I didn't want to know how she thought she could evaluate students' work for spelling! (Her knowledge of grammar was execrable, too.)
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:

I think I've given adequate evidence here that unlike some unfortunates out there, I DO have command of Standard English...and used to teach high school English and speech. And yes, teachers get damn' tired of hearing that old saw...

That is why I said it, Dot.... How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Icon_wink
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Once heard it said that the unenlightened discuss what enlightenment is. The enlightened simply are.

Some merit to that view, IMO. Cool

I think that's fairly true, but the unenlightened need to talk about it to make it a realizable and workable goal.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 am

For me, enlightenment is a moment that flees once you realize it is there and snatch at it.

In other words, it's not a permanent state or a place; it's something that happens and is then suddenly lost. Buddhist practice, for me, is trying to live in such a way as to increase the frequency of those moments, but I don't ever expect to be an "enlightened being" for any real length of time.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 am

DotNotInOz wrote:

That is why I said it, Dot.... How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Icon_wink

However, I don't see what you and I said as having the same meaning, all.

It's my quite likely flawed understanding that someone who actually is enlightened wouldn't care one way or the other what's said about them.

All these little niggling concerns of the unenlightened have no impact upon them.

Sometimes, I suspect that the concept of being enlightened is akin in a way to that of heaven--an ideal state that gives hope and encouragement to people struggling to live halfway decent lives--but that probably doesn't exist.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am

Words get in the way when it comes to Spiritual beliefs. I have never met anyone who was really all that particularly enlightened, though I have met one or two people who were brilliant. I suspect the words are what is holding a lot of people back from the ineffable.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:18 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:

However, I don't see what you and I said as having the same meaning, all.

It's my quite likely flawed understanding that someone who actually is enlightened wouldn't care one way or the other what's said about them.

All these little niggling concerns of the unenlightened have no impact upon them.

Sometimes, I suspect that the concept of being enlightened is akin in a way to that of heaven--an ideal state that gives hope and encouragement to people struggling to live halfway decent lives--but that probably doesn't exist.

It is hard to say things so that people will understand where you are coming from. We probably just aren't on the same wave length. I thought of what you said as funny. We are all slightly hypocritical for being a bunch of unenlightened people sitting around and talking about what enlightenment is. I suddenly had an image of a bunch of fat out of shape guys interpreting what the quarterback should have done for the play in question.

I came back with the "those who can, do, those who can't teach" precisely because I don't believe it is true, and I know you don't either. Sometimes those who can't do, teach, and sometimes those who teach, teach precisely because they are the absolute best in their fields and they want to share that knowledge.

Again, we are shown the limits of a text based discussion. If we were having the discussion face to face, you would have heard my sarcasm. Actually, if we were having the discussion face to face, I'd probably just look at ya, raise an eyebrow and grunt. I'm kind of laconic that way, IRL.

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Icon_biggrin
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

We are all slightly hypocritical for being a bunch of unenlightened people sitting around and talking about what enlightenment is. I suddenly had an image of a bunch of fat out of shape guys interpreting what the quarterback should have done for the play in question.

Very, very well said ALL; what a GREAT visual!

Grasping at the wind is the best we can do until there's no more need of grasping at all.

Now scoot over a bit and pass me the popcorn..... How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment 307852
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:33 pm

ZenYen wrote:For me, enlightenment is a moment that flees once you realize it is there and snatch at it.

In other words, it's not a permanent state or a place; it's something that happens and is then suddenly lost. Buddhist practice, for me, is trying to live in such a way as to increase the frequency of those moments, but I don't ever expect to be an "enlightened being" for any real length of time.

ZenYen, you've just described my meditation practice. Just when there's a moment where meditation might actually be occurring, my mind says *look at me, I'm doing it!*

....and suddenly I'm back to 'sitting for meditation'
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
ZenYen wrote:For me, enlightenment is a moment that flees once you realize it is there and snatch at it.

ZenYen, you've just described my meditation practice. Just when there's a moment where meditation might actually be occurring, my mind says *look at me, I'm doing it!*

....and suddenly I'm back to 'sitting for meditation'

It does go that way sometimes ... !
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
We are all slightly hypocritical for being a bunch of unenlightened people sitting around and talking about what enlightenment is. I suddenly had an image of a bunch of fat out of shape guys interpreting what the quarterback should have done for the play in question.

Very, very well said ALL; what a GREAT visual!

Grasping at the wind is the best we can do until there's no more need of grasping at all.

Now scoot over a bit and pass me the popcorn..... How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment 307852

Why does the Dalai Lama wear glasses?

How Do You Define - Spiritual Enlightenment Icon_biggrin
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next