YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration

+6
Sakhaiva
Davelaw
Gorm_Sionnach
John T Mainer
gillyflower
wakeupdespierta
10 posters

Go down

Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration Empty Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration

Post by wakeupdespierta Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Do you find that there is a lack of heart centered, positive films that don't only promote consumerism, violence, and sex?

Do you think that Hollywood should focus more on art and less on "selling" stuff?

Last edited by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The question is excellent, but we are not here to promote your product.)

wakeupdespierta

Back to top Go down

Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration Empty Re: Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration

Post by gillyflower Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Yep, don't post any links to anything, 'k? Also this is a religious forum. Why don't you open up some discussions about your thoughts and beliefs rather than a film?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration Empty Re: Spiritual Films and bringing back the true meaning of Inspiration

Post by John T Mainer Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Oh I don't know. Sometimes Hollywood gets the spirituality right, even if their historical accuracy was absolutely terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyzFcPlQAYY&feature=fvwrel

Of course, my spirituality is not exactly against violence, as it is about proper balance and focus. Love has its place, steel has its place. Really bad idea to confuse the two. Much of the time neither one is appropriate.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:28 pm

wakeupdespierta wrote:Do you find that there is a lack of heart centered, positive films that don't only promote consumerism, violence, and sex?

Do you think that Hollywood should focus more on art and less on "selling" stuff?

Consumerism I can abide without, though prestiege goods have their place. Sex and violence though, while neither is particularly good in excess; in moderation they are perfectly reasonable. My people were not shy about either, and knew when each was appropriate.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:08 pm

John T Mainer wrote:Oh I don't know. Sometimes Hollywood gets the spirituality right, even if their historical accuracy was absolutely terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyzFcPlQAYY&feature=fvwrel

Of course, my spirituality is not exactly against violence, as it is about proper balance and focus. Love has its place, steel has its place. Really bad idea to confuse the two. Much of the time neither one is appropriate.
Eaters of the Dead which the movie is based on is a great re-telling of Beowulf-with Grendel and his mother being Neanderthals and their Venus.

I personally think movies and spiritual topics are at an all time high. That being said movies are still giving wiccans, the occult and the dark side of neo-paganism a bad name with movies like the Wicker Man (or any Nick Cage supernatural), the Craft or Witches of Eastwick.
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Just to add my 2 cents to the convo, it's good to remember that "Hollywood" is not the only film outlet.

There are some pretty inspiring documentaries, foreign films and independent films that are extremely spiritually uplifting. Believe me, if enough people avoid hollywood films, hollywood will notice Wink

Ok, an example: the Japanese film "Departures". This was one of the most spiritually awakening films I've ever seen. Delicate and beautiful. Watch all the way through the end credits and tell me you're not touched.

Smile
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen[smiles].
Last night I watched the movie "The Life of Pi", and it was a w e s o m e.
I laughed, I cried, I oohed and awwwed....I highly recommend it to everyone.

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:49 pm

I watched "Brave" last week.....it made me laugh and cry....really nice movie.

Then I gave in and went to see "Red Dawn" with my men (aren't I a good wife/mom?). On the way out, I told my hubby that I want my own AK for Christmas....he said he'd get me a pink one! ROFL LMAO! (FYI....I shot one of those suckers not too long ago...there's a pic on FB to prove it. Not something I really want to ever do again!)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

One Week:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104806/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104806/

A very Canadian moment. A young man finds out he has a terminal illness. He takes one week to ride across Canada trying to find not himself, but his place before he has lost it.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:29 am

Good evening[smile].
I remember seeing the original Red Dawn, and I didn't see the remake[yet, anyway, because I'd be lying to say that the new remake isn't intriguing to me.]because I was a little worried that it wouldn't stand up to the original[that and I'm always suspicious of remakes]. Did it, Lady Beribee?
I loved the movie BRAVE too[smile]!

Thankyou for that movie recommendation, Mr. Mainer. It rather reminds me of the movie "The Earthling". Have any of you ever seen that one? If not, you you may like that one as well.

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 pm

I am watching Paint Your Wagon right now. 1969. It's fun to watch Lee Marvin sing.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:27 pm

Love that movie. Lee Marvin sang a whole lot better than Clint did. One of the better portrayals of Polyandry I have seen in film.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 am

Yes, it was a good movie. I am looking forward to the The Hobbit coming out. And dreading it, too. I hope it will be wonderful and I'm also a little afraid - 3 parts! - that they will turn it into an epic mess.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Good evening ladies and gentlemen[smile].
I am looking forward to seeing The Hobbit as well. I can't wait to see how they portray Smaug. I wonder why they never made these movies in order. Hmmmm....

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm hoping that we'll get to see Gandalf and the White Order go in against "The Necromancer".

I'd love to see a film about the fall of Numenor, but I think that is as likely as one about the Silmarils...

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Southern Hick wrote:Good evening[smile].
I remember seeing the original Red Dawn, and I didn't see the remake[yet, anyway, because I'd be lying to say that the new remake isn't intriguing to me.]because I was a little worried that it wouldn't stand up to the original[that and I'm always suspicious of remakes]. Did it, Lady Beribee?
I loved the movie BRAVE too[smile]!

I honestly don't really remember the original Red Dawn, Southern Hick! It's definitely a guy movie, but I did enjoy it! I wasn't disappointed at all....I would recommend going to see it!

I watched Brave again this weekend....it's amazing how many things you miss the first time watching it!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Good evening everyone[smile].
The original Red Dawn movie came out in 1984, with Patrick Swazye[is that spelled right? Darn it!], Charlie Sheen, and Jennifer Grey[and others]as the escaped HighShool resistance fighters. In the original the invaders were Cubans and Soviets, and it was an awesome movie. If you ever get the chance to see it I really think you'll like it, at least as much if not more than you liked the remake[smile]. I agree with you about BRAVE...I saw it twice in the same day, first on my own, and then later that evening after I had talked my parents into seeing it after I told them how great it was. I wonder if Disney is going to now add her to the "Princess collection". If so, I would love to see what the "live-action" version of her would look like at as she's walking around saying hi to little kids in Disney World...just because of all that wild red hair. Can you imagine what that wig would look like?!? Ha!

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Southern Hick wrote:Good evening everyone[smile].
The original Red Dawn movie came out in 1984, with Patrick Swazye[is that spelled right? Darn it!], Charlie Sheen, and Jennifer Grey[and others]as the escaped HighShool resistance fighters. In the original the invaders were Cubans and Soviets, and it was an awesome movie. If you ever get the chance to see it I really think you'll like it, at least as much if not more than you liked the remake[smile]. I agree with you about BRAVE...I saw it twice in the same day, first on my own, and then later that evening after I had talked my parents into seeing it after I told them how great it was. I wonder if Disney is going to now add her to the "Princess collection". If so, I would love to see what the "live-action" version of her would look like at as she's walking around saying hi to little kids in Disney World...just because of all that wild red hair. Can you imagine what that wig would look like?!? Ha!

Having just returned from my honeymoon, part of which was traipsing about the Magic Kingdom, yes there is a real life, meet and greet Merida, and yes she is among the characters who comprise the Princess line.

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Good evening[smile].
Cool. I shall have to look her up, so to speak.
Thank you[smile].

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by skaroop2 Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:12 am

I recently saw a movie called "La Bella Verte" (the Green Beautiful, in French) and it totally blew my mind. There was an idea in it that sunk deep in me: What if people just stopped buying things that hurt the planet, animals, or each other. Crazy.

It can be seen at disclose.tv (with English subtitles).

Go see it!

Also it matched up a lot with what I've read about ET's and what life is like on other, more evolved, planets.

skaroop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down