YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding a book agent/publisher?

+2
sacrificialgoddess
DeavonReye
6 posters

Go down

Finding a book agent/publisher? Empty Finding a book agent/publisher?

Post by DeavonReye Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

As I have mentioned before, my recent personal discovery, within the bible, caused me to journal my thoughts, . . . and I had enough material to make a book [143 pages]. I was wondering if anyone knew of an agent, publisher, or some way that I can get this to being published? There are a few online "self publishing" sites, but I think it would be better to go with an actual publisher. Of course, it may be tricky, because of the subject matter.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Finding a book agent/publisher? Empty Re: Finding a book agent/publisher?

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:18 pm

http://www.publishersweekly.com/

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm

SG would probably be the one to ask.

I did a bit of looking into this myself last year, when trying to re-publish Lessons in Truth and How I Used Truth on my website. Cafepress.com was an option, though not cheap enough for me.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 pm

The only tidbit/factoid I could offer is to keep what you want to publish, on paper, off-line, as -- in some cases -- putting your writing online renders it unpublishable. (Comes from a published author from my local writers club who said "I learned this lesson the hard way")

I think the term to know here is "First Electronic Rights"

On a different note, many professional writers I've friends with have joined serious-minded writing circles; several through meet-up. It's a fine way to gain information and fine-tune one's art.

That's all the factoids I can offer.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Look in the Writer's Market for publishers and agents and then really, truly pay attention to the format, etc that they want to see it in and if they will take unsolicited manuscripts. Online there are many writers and agents that offer advice about publishing and what to watch out for.

Holly Black is one that has good advice:

http://www.blackholly.com/writingresources.html

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice everyone. I will go from here, but any other bits of advice will be appreciated. Finding a book agent/publisher? Icon_smile
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:The only tidbit/factoid I could offer is to keep what you want to publish, on paper, off-line, as -- in some cases -- putting your writing online renders it unpublishable. (Comes from a published author from my local writers club who said "I learned this lesson the hard way")

I think the term to know here is "First Electronic Rights"

On a different note, many professional writers I've friends with have joined serious-minded writing circles; several through meet-up. It's a fine way to gain information and fine-tune one's art.

That's all the factoids I can offer.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "putting your writing online"? Are you talking about lulu.com and such sites? Thanks.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:08 pm

I thought lulu was print on demand?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 pm

I believe that it is. I was just considering that route because I am not a known author, and my subject matter may not be looked upon favorably by those who would have the power to publish it. I would prefer to find the appropriate agent and do it the "right way", but I'm just wanting to stay realistic. If it would be realistic that I could get it done with agent and publisher, then that would be my choice.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:31 am

Hi. I write fiction and some poetry, and have a bit of experience with the publishing world. Here's some advice:

1) If you want to sell it to a publisher, don't put any of it online.
2) Avoid self-publishing. Too many self-publishers simply make you pay for a print run and sell the books yourself. They make money off of you; you make money off of no one.
3) Given your subject matter and the small size of your book, I'd suggest researching small religious presses. I haven't written any religious material, so I'm no help there, but there are a lot of religious publishers out there and you might get a foot in the door.
4) Agents are very difficult to come by in fiction, and it may be the same way in religious non-fiction. I'd look for an agent who specializes in that area. If you find an agent who is interested, make sure you do not pay him or her. Agents make money, as a percentage, when they sell your book; you don't pay them.
5) Run from publishers who want you to pay for an editing service. Real publishers pay editors to do that; scam publishers get you to pay for that (and then usually make no real effort to market your book).

I wish you much luck and success.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:53 am

There is a difference though between vanity presses (they want a lot of money from you) and POD (Print on Demand). If you just want a few printed books POD is the way to go.

I was really interested in a survey a fantasy writer did recently about first books published.

http://www.jimchines.com/2010/03/survey-results/

It seems going to conventions is something most people do. And the average number of years a person writes before being published? 11 years.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 am

I had a vanity song published a year or two ago. Mostly unrelated but I wanted back in the convo. Laughing

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 am

You are welcome here! I had an article published recently in a professional journal. They didn't pay me for it but there you go - my name in print.

My big problem with writing is putting my rear in the chair and actually doing the work instead of thinking about writing or I get organizing tools so that I can be organized enough (or organizing the story) to do the work instead of doing the work. I was surprised to find out that I am not alone in that last way to avoid writing. Procrastination, in other words. I do best when I have a deadline.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:11 am

Oh, the one titled "Being a Badass Librarian in a Lazyass World?" I read it. Good stuff.

Yes, it seems no matter what I do, I do a lot more thinking about it and planning than actually getting around to it. I think it's about being overly creative or thinkative, maybe.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:23 am

I'm not sure that a religious publisher would print a book that is basically anti-religious. I went through the Bible and pointed out inconsistencies and logic flaws, as well as a few Christian doctrinal concepts. Finding a book agent/publisher? Icon_neutral

Someone I know had some success with the lulu.com type sites, and he told me about it. It isn't ideal, of course. I think he believed that it was a fairly good way for a non-published author to get their name and work out. However, in the days before these types of services, I'm sure that every writer of books had a "first book" they wanted published, . . . so, . . . . . .

My book is 145 pages, so it isn't a huge book. I don't know if it would be successful, but I should at least try.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:36 am

You know how they say size doesn't matter?

Well, it does. But not in books. Quality over quantity; in our church we publish lots of little booklets of 25-100 pages; and you can find religious-based publishers who would love that kind of thing. And anti-religious publishers too!

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:04 am

I guess my issue is not knowing where to find such a publisher for my "anti-religious" short book. I suppose that going to the local Barnes and Noble would be a place to get some of that information. . . . . .

As for the self publishing, or print on demand, apparently they aren't really looked upon favorably by the publishing/agent community.

I guess all I can do is to send out letters out to them. Being un-published makes it difficult.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 am

What I would do is look at similar books and see who published THEM. Not books by like say, Ehrman, who's well-known and wealthy but a critical-christianity book by a relatively unknon dude. Amazon would be a good place to find that out.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:50 am

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks! Finding a book agent/publisher? Icon_smile
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down