YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religions behaving badly

+5
gillyflower
TigersEyeDowsing
allthegoodnamesweretaken
jive
sacrificialgoddess
9 posters

Go down

Religions behaving badly Empty Religions behaving badly

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Okay, we have all seen it, from every religion, and if you include atheism, even from the non religious. I am not trying to start anything here, and no one needs to feel the need to defend anything they see here. I just thought we could use a thread that has great examples of Bad _______. You know, bad members of any religion. Folks none of us want to claim.

So here is the first example.

http://wildhunt.org/blog/2010/01/the-witch-and-the-christian-fedex-guy.html

What do you think? What, if you are a member of this guy's religion, do you think good members can do to counteract the problems this guy caused? They say it takes 10 good experiences to counter-act one bad experience, but that just might be in customer service.

Anyone got any others?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Religions behaving badly Empty Re: Religions behaving badly

Post by jive Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am

Hello,

I read that article man and i am totally agree with you that some times this is gonna happen.

thanks!!

jive

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 am

It's been a while, but when I opened my office, I had a lady who threw a fit because I wouldn't let her leave a bible based children's book in my waiting room.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 am

Haha!

I get comments on my name almost daily. "What a great Bible name! What a great Bible name!"

It's okay once in awhile, but getting Bibled about my name each day gets REALLY old. I got really angry day before yesterday, because I got the "What a great Bible name", and THEN he looks at me and says "Do you know who Joseph was in the Bible?"

I had the angriest/nastiest look I could get. I mean what American doesn't know who Joseph was..? Do I look Ethiopian? Really, when people insult my intelligence it's a pressure point.

So I glared and said "Yes, I was raised BAPTIST." And so then he proceeds on about Joseph and Daniel and how they're the only two men in the Bible that have no character flaws. So I said "You know what? Neither do I." And his jaw hit the floor.

So I guess that was me behaving badly. Religions behaving badly Icon_lol

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:20 pm

LOL!
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Go TED! That was a great response.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:38 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote: And so then he proceeds on about Joseph and Daniel and how they're the only two men in the Bible that have no character flaws. So I said "You know what? Neither do I."

Are you sure you're not from California?

Wink
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm

It was pretty snarky but you know what? Not only was I not in the mood, I was visibly presenting to him (via glare, snarl on lip, possessed look) that I did NOT want to have the conversation and he could have just ended it at a stopping point. He was either oblivious or inconsiderate to my feelings on the subject and current attitude so he had it coming. Then I felt so guilty after snapping at him I buddy-buddyed him (you know, straight guy buddybuddy friendly see-ya-round-man stuff) and treated him nicer like I try to do all the customers. But I really wish people'd let up.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I don't counteract anyone's bad behaviour. People who decide to use ONE member as the model for all members are simply too stupid for me to deal with.
99.9999999999% of the time it's people whining about bad Christians. When the WTC was attacked people were crawling out of the fucking woodwork to scream "That ain't all Muslims"... But let fuckhead phelps protest at funerals and people start bitching about "fucking Christians".
So, SCREW THEM ALL... I refuse to apologize for anyone but ME. I don't commit the sin, I'll be damned if I'll pay for it.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Amen! I see mostly just bad Christians because that's all we have to contend with Christians, the good and the bad alike.

The crazies gravitate toward fundamentalism, usually fundamentalist Christianity or fundamentalist Islam. I think I'm more forgiving of fundy Xianity than fundy muslims. I've never run across a muslim who's really spoken to me (I see women from time to time veiled up and of course they can't talk to me) but I would probably go APESHIT if they said/did something rude.

My take on muslims if they'd rather blow ya up than convert ya, and that works for me. Sometimes I'd prefer more fundy Christians to just whip out a bomb instead of a Bible to beat me in the head with; I mean I'd rather be shot than listen to a Phelps sermon. *shrugs*

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 am

I dunno, TED. Shot can be a lot more permanent than merely being subjected to a Phelps-style harangue. Wink
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am

I wonder if they will have a pill one day that will cure fundamentalism.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 pm

Religions behaving badly 798723 Religions behaving badly 798723 Religions behaving badly 798723 Religions behaving badly 798723 Silly me. You were talking about your "bible" name, & I was wondering to myself....WTF was TED? Too much of a good vacation, or too much dope back in the day! Go figure! Religions behaving badly 74598
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down