YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guiding Light canceled after 72 years

+2
TigersEyeDowsing
sacrificialgoddess
6 posters

Go down

Guiding Light canceled after 72 years Empty Guiding Light canceled after 72 years

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 pm

The oldest TV show still on has been canceled.

I will admit I never watched it, but this changes TV forever. I have to admit, I don't know how to react to this news. Does anyone here watch?

What do you guys think this means for the other soaps?
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Guiding Light canceled after 72 years Empty Re: Guiding Light canceled after 72 years

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:42 pm

My great grandmother used to watch GL. I admit even though I have/had no interest in the show it does shake you up a little.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Guiding Light canceled after 72 years Empty Re: Guiding Light canceled after 72 years

Post by MaineCaptain Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Oh my gosh!, a lot of fans will be upset. The only time I ever watched soups was when I was home from school as a child, and not that one.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:07 pm

Like MC the only times I was watching soaps was with mom after school. Never been a fan...
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Mintie wrote:Like MC the only times I was watching soaps was with mom after school. Never been a fan...

It's the 72 years bit that has me tripping.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
Mintie wrote:Like MC the only times I was watching soaps was with mom after school. Never been a fan...

Well I think it's a clear message from the network that they don't care about the fan base, if you don't pull in huge numbers, you'll get axed. Reality shows, daytime shows and gossiping are just the thing now.
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:15 pm

Mintie wrote:

Well I think it's a clear message from the network that they don't care about the fan base, if you don't pull in huge numbers, you'll get axed. Reality shows, daytime shows and gossiping are just the thing now.

That's 'cause they're cheap to produce.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Mintie wrote:

That's 'cause they're cheap to produce.

Yup, and networks are greedy!
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by HailToTheSquirrel Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:43 pm

You know it doesn't even make sense for the network to pull it over money. They had a real opportunity to hit 100 years. Publicity and notoriety would surely lead to more $ down the road.

I dunno. I never watched the show or any like it. But it seems to me if that would be one heck of a claim to fame. And more so the fact that it started out as a radio show! I mean the nostalgia alone. Linking to a time before television. (Well not before the invention but before the widespread use. There were only a handful of small, non-standardized stations limited to LA, NY and DC.)

I agree with SG, 71 years is staggering. And I thought the Simpsons had a long run going.

HailToTheSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsAllALie Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I am in SHOCK,,,,I used to watch that show,,,,and several others Smile In the good old days before they got just too darned unbelievable (freezing a whole town and sending one of the charachters back in time comes to mind)

It was never my fav, but I watched it off and on and my grandmother and my mother used to LOVVVVVVVVVVVVE that one,,,,,their favorite,,,

If I'm not mistaken, the 71 years INCLUDES the time it ran on radio,,,,,,it started as a 15 minute show for housewives, one of the sole purposes of which was to sell 'soap" and other household goods to their target audience,,,,

hence the name 'soap operas'

Holly
ItsAllALie
ItsAllALie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down