YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Gods and Why?

+6
DotNotInOz
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Vorrin
John T Mainer
Gorm_Sionnach
gillyflower
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Gods and Why? Empty What Gods and Why?

Post by gillyflower Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 pm

We have some fierce debate around here about why a person chooses not to follow a particular god, and I've no problems with that. My question, however, is (if you are willing to share) what god(s) do you follow and why, what attributes do they have that you admire? You don't have to name the god, if you don't want to do that. You can just name the category, as in god of wisdom or some such thing, if you like. Or what kind of god or goddess would you find admirable to follow or would like to find? What gods do you admire? What gods touch you?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What Gods and Why? Empty Re: What Gods and Why?

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 pm

gillyflower wrote:We have some fierce debate around here about why a person chooses not to follow a particular god, and I've no problems with that. My question, however, is (if you are willing to share) what god(s) do you follow and why, what attributes do they have that you admire? You don't have to name the god, if you don't want to do that. You can just name the category, as in god of wisdom or some such thing, if you like. Or what kind of god or goddess would you find admirable to follow or would like to find? What gods do you admire? What gods touch you?

My religion tends more towards the concept of deities being related to profession, skill, trade, or other attribute and becoming a client of that deity, so to speak. Both of the deities I have as patrons relate to my professional career so to speak. I originally had Ogma, the Gaelic god of eloquence and letters, as my sole patron, I grew closer via devotionals, dreams and upg, Ogma is one of those deities who has "thwaped" me, so to speak. I was originally drawn to Ogma because of his association with letters, but there did seem to be reciprocity the more I learned and began to understand him. I believe I was drawn to Ogma because of my love of history, litterature and story, all areas of Ogma's influence.

My other patron is a little different, though now that I look back was always there on the periphery and has greatly influenced my chosen career path, that god would be Donn. Donn was one of those deities I had no knowledge of prior to becoming a CR, and specifically a GRP, though as I mentioned when I look back at my life I can see his influence, however subtle. Donn is an odd deity, in so much as he is not a member of the Tuatha Dé Dannan, and is quite possibly an example of a deified ancestor, because Donn is the Gaelic lord of the dead. I have always had a considerable degree of comfort being around the dead, and long ago my perspective on death changed to a great degree, especially outside the pale of the general fear and uncertainty that seems to surround this last act of life, and I believe that Donn has been influential in helping me make that transition. The career I am pursuing is that of a funeral director and most everyone who I mention this to will look at me for a moment, pensively and then say something along the line of "you know what, I can see you doing that".

I have given praise and offerings to other deities as well, I would just not consider them patrons of the same degree as the other two. Brigid as goddess of the hearth and home is quite central in my day to day practice, and since I am largely a "hearth CR", meaning my practice is focused on kin and the home, Brigid provides that support function. Recently I have felt an immense pull from a local river deity, something which has been much stronger than all but Donn's influence, to the point that UPG coincided literally with associated symbolism (I had several instances of serpents in both dream and meditation) when thinking about this particular river. I happened to have some free time one afternoon while my fiance and her friend were at a bridal show, I decided to go to a park along the shore of lake Ontario, which happened to have a small pedestrian foot bridge which crossed the bay of one of said river. I crossed the bridge while lead to another small park which happened to have some standing stones (two of which were aligned to mark the winter and summer solstices), on my return as I began to cross the bridge, I noticed some art work which adorned the bridge, a wavy silver snake. Needless to say it was one of those ineffable moments, and so many of the votive offerings I now leave are sculptures of serpents.

So that's a bit about me anyway.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 am

I know most people here have heard the story about a million times on one forum or another, so I'll keep it brief. Odin found me in basic training. He helped me to open myself up to others, and taught me how to integrate the warring parts of myself; warrior, poet, scientist. It was Odin that taught me I was not to choose between the three parts of myself, I was to use the fires of my challenges, the hammer of my foes, to weld the very different elements into a single cohesive whole stronger, more flexible, and infinitely more capable than any one of its elements. Like the pattern welded swords of the north, Odin taught how the three different parts make a whole that, welded together, are unstoppable.

Odin is a lord for initiates, for those who hunger for more knowledge and are willing to pay a terrible price in learning it. Odin is a chieftain who puts the needs of his folk ahead of himself, and will sometimes sacrifice his own in that cause. As a soldier, I can follow a chieftain like this, as a poet and priest I can be guided by such vision, as a father I can entrust my children to his care.

Others among the Aesir and Vanir receive blessing from me at blot and symbel too, but it is to Odin, to Father Jul, to the Feeder of Ravens, that I owe first service.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorrin Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:56 pm

My girlfriend and I had this discussion over the weekend.

I think my spirituality has alot of similarities to what others seek and what makes them happy. I only became happy when I found my own personal god .. . Something that made sense to me and made me happy. My god probably wouldnt make sense to most other people, but its not intended too. I think its important when choosing a diety or allowing them to choose you that there is a personal relationship or something there that rings with your own spirit. Too often I think people become disillusioned with main stream religions because they are designed to be entry level cookie cutter templates. Some people dont personalize this template and continue to accept other peoples beleifs which I contend leads to spiritual stagnation and unhappiness.

I think we should search continually to define our own god through study and discussion. My god constantly changes to suit what I want out of life.

My god is one of love and acceptance without vengence or punishment. I agree with John Lennon who wrote "all you need is love"
Vorrin
Vorrin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Like John, I've probably posted it enough in other areas that most of the people remember it, and that transfers over. I'll just give the high points.

I had basically cut all ties to the religion of my youth. First I had to stop following it, then I had to stop, stopping following it. If that makes any sense at all.

At my darkest part of this period I had my first UPG. It was a dream. I almost drowned, and was saved by Odin. When I recovered, I said I would follow him. He laughed at me and said, I didn't need to follow him, I needed to get my shit together. Then he left.

Through various UPG's (never nice, always shocking me into an understanding that I didn't have before) I came to understand that it is not what a person says, or the things that they claim to have thought about that makes a man (or woman), but the things that they do. Like death, this is something that a lot will claim to understand, but few really seem to. I strive towards, and have cultivated the values that have been shared with me, and that I value.

I understand that you are having a discussion regarding "following" certain gods. I think that is a bit of a misnomer. As per my understanding, the gods don't look for "followers". They look for those who will stand with them.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm probably not qualified to answer since I don't relate to distinct beings I'd call gods (or who have indicated to me that they'd like that sort of honor done to them by me.)

Instead, I'm more of a panentheist if anything where deities are concerned. Actually, classical Transcendentalist describes my "theology" better than anything else, and "agnostic Transcendentalist" at that. I tend to think that there is "something" that encompasses all of existence even though "I dunno for sure" is almost my spiritual mantra.

Sometimes, I think all this religious and spiritual stuff consists of human constructs largely formulated and used to get us over the jolts in life and through the dark and stormy nights. Other times, something so apparently otherworldly happens that I think there must indeed be some force that spawned our existence, but I'm not sure what its nature or powers may be nor to what extent it still influences our lives.

As for relating to various spiritual beings, my ceremonial magick workings are often all about that. What I suspect oftentimes is that the beings I encounter and with whom I sometimes work are simply natural creatures and not "supernatural" at all.

"I dunno for sure" but certainly do wonder and often marvel at it all.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm

You're qualified, Dot. I was just interested in the kinds of gods people followed and why.

I met my patron goddess first and she is a goddess of balance. My patron god, the one I ignored for a while, is a god of war. I have learned a great deal from both. I wanted gods that were willing to be active in my life and they both have been.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 am

I AM my own god.

But, if I had to choose one, it'd be Bast. For obvious reasons. *grin* I see no reason I shouldn't be able to honor her, or the concept of her, in my life, while forging ahead on my own (rather dark) path.
wmdkitty
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:19 pm

I give honor to the gods of place, too. They might not be the gods I follow but I think that if it is a god's holy place, and I am a visitor, then I try to be a good guest and give respect to him/her/them.

Does anyone have house gods?

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 am

No, but I always feel more at home eating in Chinese restaurants or shopping in markets that have a statue of Buddha with fruit and incense placed before it.

Which is odd, because I don't have the same feeling for Christian businesses that prominently display the fish symbol. Familiarity breeds contempt, maybe?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 am

Ah, well, as to that, the Buddha with the offerings around it, that shows the extra step, that they honor their god there and don't care that they are a minority religion or what religion their patrons are. I've never had one of them try to thrust their religion on me. I get the same feeling in some Catholic households where they display a household god altar/station. The gods are present in and part of the place and their everyday lives. No big deal, if you have a different religion.

The thing about the fish symbol for me is difficult especially in the area where I live. I can't help sometimes having the feeling that it is an advertising ploy by some local businesses. I don't like people assuming that if I am shopping there I must be Christian and making a point of bringing up Yahweh or Jesus almost like they have to prove to me that they are Christian. I don't give any business my money because of their religion, I shop there because of goods or price. If they make me uncomfortable, I won't go back. It's not the symbol that makes me uncomfortable, and I wouldn't mind if they set up an altar to their god, any god. It is the thrusting of the religion on casual shoppers that I mind.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am

When I see the fishy I feel uncomfortable and move the other way. I always feel like I'm going to be a salvation target.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:When I see the fishy I feel uncomfortable and move the other way. I always feel like I'm going to be a salvation target.

*nods*

Though it usually makes me think, "Hmm. sushi sounds good...."
wmdkitty
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Where are you guys seeing the "fishy"??? I've only seen it on the backs of cars!!!

Good thread....I just don't really know how to answer it! Fundamentally, I believe in the Christian God, but I've discarded a lot of the crap that goes along with it. I take from other faiths what makes sense to me and discard the rest. So I believe in a feminine side of God....Mother God, Mother Earth....whatever you want to call it....just makes sense to me, you know? Still very much under construction I guess!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

gillyflower wrote:I give honor to the gods of place, too. They might not be the gods I follow but I think that if it is a god's holy place, and I am a visitor, then I try to be a good guest and give respect to him/her/them.

Does anyone have house gods?

I ought to, but so far nothing upg wise. scratch

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 am

I'm very surprised that no one answered "Yes, I do have house gods - I have two cats!"

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:16 am

Beribee wrote:Where are you guys seeing the "fishy"??? I've only seen it on the backs of cars!!!

Good thread....I just don't really know how to answer it! Fundamentally, I believe in the Christian God, but I've discarded a lot of the crap that goes along with it. I take from other faiths what makes sense to me and discard the rest. So I believe in a feminine side of God....Mother God, Mother Earth....whatever you want to call it....just makes sense to me, you know? Still very much under construction I guess!

The Days Inn in Canton has the fishy on all their billboards; a lot of mom-and-pop hotels do that, very prominently. In motel-speak it's a little creepy.

Yesterday I went to the Christian thrift store... the ex and I got a great cheap damaged china cabinet there once, and other stuff, and I was looking for a few kitchen things. I've been trying to find a cheap couch or even better, sleeper sofa, since I'm sick of laying on the living room floor (and have a bad back and it HURTS) but had given up for now.

They had a brand new sleeper sofa, for $60! I told the girl I needed something to cover it with, since I have cats and it was so nice looking (I prefer rattier furniture, that way if/when it gets clawed or damaged I don't feel so angry) and she found a neat and cozy couch cover that fit it perfectly (for $10).

I got Jesused quite a bit, but it was worth it for the deal. They just assumed I was Christian, since I was shopping there and mentioned I had patronized them before. I just smiled and nodded. What Gods and Why? Icon_smile

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Beribee wrote:Where are you guys seeing the "fishy"??? I've only seen it on the backs of cars!!!

I swear that they use it for advertising around here. I've seen it on car dealerships, lawyers, I even got a letter the other day from another doctor that had it. I never will understand how they can talk about raising income under a heading like that.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

I swear that they use it for advertising around here. I've seen it on car dealerships, lawyers, I even got a letter the other day from another doctor that had it. I never will understand how they can talk about raising income under a heading like that.

all

Oh, I know that people do in this area.

Some of the ads you'd see in the yellow pages when we lived in Kansas would also proclaim "We welcome Christian business" or similar encouragements. Also, there'd be newspaper ads with the fish prominently displayed.

There are some such ads here but not as many.

I know from having talked to some fundie Xtians that these businesses do that to attract people who don't want to do business or obtain services from non-Christians.

I've honestly had people tell me that if they knew a non-Christian doctor was better than a Christian one--for instance, the Christian had settled out of court on malpractice claims--they'd still go to the Christian doctor.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

When I was a fundie x-ian I used to pick up the Shepherd's Guide, which was a (relatively huge) phonebook of Christian-owned businesses.

If you signed the form that you believed Jesus Christ was the only salvation for man and your one true god, you could pay to be listed. It was arranged like the yellow pages, by category. Only one lawyer though. Smile The phonebook itself was free, at Christian stores and participating businesses.

The idea is, of course, to encourage business from the religion to other members of the same religion.. keep it floating. I understand that.

I wish we would do that in terms of the American economy.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:55 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:When I was a fundie x-ian I used to pick up the Shepherd's Guide, which was a (relatively huge) phonebook of Christian-owned businesses.

If you signed the form that you believed Jesus Christ was the only salvation for man and your one true god, you could pay to be listed. It was arranged like the yellow pages, by category. Only one lawyer though. What Gods and Why? Icon_smile The phonebook itself was free, at Christian stores and participating businesses.

The idea is, of course, to encourage business from the religion to other members of the same religion.. keep it floating. I understand that.

I wish we would do that in terms of the American economy.

It's fairly different here in Toronto, for the most part. I see the fish, either with the cross for an eye, or with jesus in it. I recently saw one where a large fish with TRUTH was swallowing a darwin fish (dollars to donughts the occupants do not understand the word irony). There is a smattering of Christian book stores, though I haven't come across a Christian buisness listing book, though the Christian radio station for the GTA is broadcast from buffalo, and they certainly have a christian buissness association index going on. Generally, now that I think about it, one rarely sees the fish without a WDCX (said radio station) sticker on the bumper as well...

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am

That is so weird! The only other place I've seen the fishy besides the bumper of a car is in a religious store! Stores around here basically keep religion out of their businesses. No wonder I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you mention having Christianity shoved down your throats! Wow....I had no idea! (Maybe if I left my little corner of the county once in awhile, I would already know this! LOL)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:49 am

I don't know how it is in Missouri not having lived here very long, but in Kansas I knew people who would only marginally associate with anyone they learned was non-Christian. They'd be polite but beyond that wanted nothing much to do with a non-Christian. For some, it was different if the person was native to India and thus Hindu since s/he "really didn't know better."

I was circumspect indeed as a small-town high school teacher even to going to the Methodist church occasionally. I felt like a toady and a thorough hypocrite but having some association with a local church was simply job insurance.

People in villages in the center of the country take their Christianity very seriously indeed.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:32 am

There are a lot of ignorant people in the world who still fear the "other."

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Very true, Gilly!

Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next