YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sex with the gods

+6
DotNotInOz
Davelaw
AutumnalTone
John T Mainer
Gorm_Sionnach
sacrificialgoddess
10 posters

Go down

Sex with the gods Empty Sex with the gods

Post by sacrificialgoddess Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm

http://www.yessaid.com/sonicshapes/1994-10-26_talk-icicle.mp3

Okay, I don't know where I am going with this, exactly. The link above takes you to an audio clip with Tori Amos talking about shocking her chauffeur and his wife at a concert. The story is all over the place, but it did lead me to a line of thought that I decided to address.
The story told in the above clip talks briefly about the idea of sex with god, though Tori, as usual, uses different words to describe it.
It's not a new idea; many gods of old have sons and daughters with regular people, and stories are told about the children, usually casting them in the role of heroes.

So here is what I am asking: What do you think about the idea of sex with gods or goddesses, any gods or goddesses? Does it matter which god we are talking about? Does that change how you feel? Is sex with god a desire for intimacy with the Divine? Is it blasphemous?

*Hee* Is it a concept that is even possible? Listen to the clip, at least the story, you can drop it before the song if you want, and let me know what you think.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Sex with the gods Empty Re: Sex with the gods

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Excellent question!

Alright, in the tales and even ritual structure, females were associated with soverginty, and so they were personified in Goddesses. An Dagda, for example (while a God himself) has numerous couplings with other Goddesses, including An Morrigan, Macha and an unamed daughter of another Goddess. This concept, that a Goddess of soverginty mates (marries) with those chieftans or kings to affirm their right to rule, is something which was adopted into "corronation" ceramonies of new chieftans or kings, they are wed to personifications of soverginty and so their rule is legitimized.

Later tales are slightly different, during the conception of Cuchulain for example, Lugh appears to his mother in a dream, and we recognize that Cuchulain is the son of Lugh (potentially also him reborn but that's another topic). Later on, Cuchulain is attacked by An Morrigan, one interpretation of this has been that he did not recognize (and therefore rejected) her as a Matron and so incured his wrath (as An Morrigan has been known to do when spurned).

Several of the Fenian heroes have (generally one) parent who is of the Tuatha De Dannan, and a mortal parent (though this blends faeries/deity to a degree). Numerous heroes end up marrying beings from the sidhe and occasionally living within the sidhe with them. This often presents problems, Oisin for example, goes to the other world and lives there for 300 years, and is warned by his wife that if he returns to our world and steps off his horse, he will rapidly age. He winds up doing just that and instantaneously shows his age (though versions differ to wether he dies or not, generall he does not but becomes quite aged, though still fairly hale). The interactions tend to be instigated by the divinities, rather than the mortals, and often it is a narritive tool used in explaining how someone has such superhuman abilities (such as Cuchulain or the Fenians).

Generally, in Gaelic lore we do not see the same kind of "lust" for mortal's that we do in Greek Myth, though the relationship between mortals and deity is somewhat different between the two cultures. Both are highly anthpomorphic, as is the case in IE cultures, Gods have needs, wants, desires, fight wars, have children, have sex, eat and feast, so the character is considerably different than say an Abrahamaic view of divinity (though one of those faiths central tennants hinges on their God being made man, but again it has somewhat different meaning than in other cultures).

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Odin and Frey sired many royal lines, Heimdal didn't limit himself to royal, and Freya rewards her favorites with blessings more precious than the gold she wears.

Jesus was a half breed, as were half the heroes in history. Between gods, godesses, nymphs, Valkyries, angels and other semi-divine figures the line between mortal and divine has blurred more than a little. When we say the gods are our ancestors, we are not always just talking about in the depths of pre history; sometimes there is an occassional god in the metaphorical woodpile.

The gods are more than we are, but that is also an admission that they are in some part just as we are. The parts of our essence that calls to them can be touched by them. The parts of us that draw them to us can arose more than paternal feelings in individuals who burn so terribly bright for what must seem to the gods as one fleeting instant. Is it a wonder that some of our brightest burning were touched by the gods in this world while the fullness of their power or grace was upon them? If gods could not also love, their power alone would not make them worthy of worship.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:16 pm

What do I think about the idea of having sex with a goddess? Bring it on! I think that'd be the experience of a lifetime.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:18 pm

when the king or ruler of a city in certain cultures wanted to renew the Bonds to the Land ; he would have sex with a priestess in his role as god and her role as goddess-this would insure fertility for another year
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 pm

That's true, Dave.

However, I got the sense that SG is asking if we think that a human being can literally and actually have sex with a god or goddess, not merely with another person acting in that role.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:44 pm

SG - I think it's okay as long as you keep the lights off Smile

(My ref: to Apuleius's Metamorphoses, specifically the part with Psyche and Cupid)
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 pm

The Great Rite.
Actually a Threesome.
1 God
1 Goddess
0 The Divine
Hence the formula +1-1=0

Three in One.
The Holy Trinity... Angel
hexpainter
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:That's true, Dave.

However, I got the sense that SG is asking if we think that a human being can literally and actually have sex with a god or goddess, not merely with another person acting in that role.

Ah Dave my friend. I do believe you're referring to the Epic of Gigamash.

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:00 pm

I think if all the humans and deities involved are capable of giving informed consent, well then, get it on.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Hee! Actually, like with everything else I post, I was looking for everyone's impressions, and in order to get the real impression they have, they have to interpret their own way. I find the way people's brains work absolutely facinating.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:26 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Hee! Actually, like with everything else I post, I was looking for everyone's impressions, and in order to get the real impression they have, they have to interpret their own way. I find the way people's brains work absolutely facinating.

My brain wouldn't be the only one that's had this impression.

There's a long tradition among various sects of deities manifesting tangible bodies and "gettin' it on" with humans.

(And no, despite this being the season for such references, I don't mean virgins impregnated by a deity and giving birth to man-gods.)
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 am

Hee!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:01 am

No virgins by the end anyways.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:58 pm

This topic actually brings to mind something I was thinking the other day so forgive me if its not quite the direction you were going SG but it does relate to the desire for intimacy and whether or not I believe its blasphemous.

The other week I was taking a few moments, (I don't know if you'd call it meditation or whatnot) to centre myself and to connect with the divine. Now I'm not the best when it comes to meditation I'll admit, I can't sit still for too long without cramping up but more so my mind does not want to sit still, it likes to wander off to many a strange place without me noticing. On this occasion after much mind wandering I'll admit a rather adult thought crossed my mind, not about the gods, but all the same it jolted me out of my thoughts and I was like WOAH I can't be thinking of that stuff when I'm trying to connect with the gods and firmly pushed it to the back of my mind.

Then I started to question why I had such a reaction to this. Would the gods really be offended by this thought? Why did this subject pull me out my mental wanderings and not say the more mundane things floating through, such as what I was gonna be making for dinner. We humans are for the most part sexual beings and surely the Gods wouldn't be offended by this aspect of us. And while I try appraoch the divine with a certain mindfulness and respect, I had to admit it was me not that the gods that had picked this stray thought as innapropriate not them. I don't believe I am ashamed of my sexuality but clearly there was some sot of hang up there when in relation to my connecting with the gods, a hang up I believe I had picked up from the catholic influence I was exposed to when I was younger. Regardless of its source, however it was there.

This lead me to thoughts of whether it would be right or wrong to have sexual thoughts towards the gods themselves, (and yup that thought got pushed straight to the back of the mind and had be dragged out kicking and screaming to be questioned Sex with the gods Icon_rolleyes ). And as I write this I realise Im still figuring that all out so sorry about my lack of clarity on this.

My conclusions so far is that while I don't believe that sexual thoughts in general or the thought of having sex with a god is blasphemous ( regardless of whether its pracitically possible or not Smile) and I came to the conclusion that holding back this thought and subject matter, I was making it an offensive thing in my own mind instead of the natural aspect to our humanity. Not only that but it was perhaps a fear of intimacy not just with the gods but in general that made me react so strongly to this subject and thats something that needs to be dealt with not shoved into the recesses of my mind. So thanks SG for bringing up this topic and giving me the opportunity to think on this further and hear other views.

And finally I'd say, if the gods were tuning in that day, it was probably much more interesting to them to hear my sexual thoughts then whether or not I was gonna be having shepards pie or lasgane for dinner! Sex with the gods Icon_wink
Feinics
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I knew a girl once who felt that the best way to prepare for working with Freya was a hot candle lit bath followed by a session with her favorite vibrator. She said it really got her in the right state for listening to Freya, and kept her focused on the workings she was trying to accomplish.

A few of the women I know that work with Odin blush a lot when admitting that working with him really gets them worked up in a lot of ways.

We are sexual beings. The gods speak to the most primal core of who we are, and for a lot of us, that is a really sexual place at the best of times. The gods know us (wrinkles, hangups, stresses and all) and accept us as we are. If anything I think they would be amused rather than insulted.

Granted a Catholic praying to Mary might get freaked if she caught herself thinking about the tight ass on the boy in the chior, but our gods and goddesses are far less hypocritical about our thoughts and desires.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:07 am

Odd side note; my middle daughter Caitlyn got her period a bit early (10). Every single time we do a goddess centered rite she gets her period. I told her she isn't getting within fifty feet of the maypole next mayday. Sometimes the body and spirit just get too receptive.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down