YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I making too big a deal about this?

+11
Dromahair
itty
allthegoodnamesweretaken
MaineCaptain
tmarie64
Willowcreek70633
gillyflower
Gorm_Sionnach
Beribee
John T Mainer
sacrificialgoddess
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Am I making too big a deal about this? - Page 2 Empty Re: Am I making too big a deal about this?

Post by Willowcreek70633 Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 am

Whip You never told me you actually seek out S&M? affraid OLD High School friends? They're the worst kind on the internet! With me they rank right up there with "Wanna Be, Nosy Rosie." And if you start out with "So who ya married to now?" It leads down the path of "RELIGION."
After all I'd worry if you just connected to NEW High School friends! Rolling Eyes
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Am I making too big a deal about this? - Page 2 Empty Re: Am I making too big a deal about this?

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 am

These are actually people that I have missed. Laughing

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 am

Razz There ya go heart speaking volumns again! I miss some of my childhood friends, that I would like to reconnect to! But like me, they have dropped off the face of the earth! LOL!
I'm so afraid of the Facebook found relative thingy! Help I never seem to catch up with my invites, requests, gifts, and games! Scared I find myself stressing over trying to clear out those things! Maybe I should tweek my settings, so that I don't know what everyone is doing all the time?
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 am

Maybe. Maybe you need to just not stress over something as silly as facebook. The main reason I have been stressing over this is I actually have to see this woman everyday. But never mind, I think I have come up with a way to answer her, you know, if you guys want to watch.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:07 am

At my age, few people are out there lurking to reconnect - and that really is a scary thought, Willow, if I could remember their names! My kids (one still refuses to believe our private group is going away) wanted me to join up so that we could share what we are doing and an easy way to show off pictures, but we aren't doing that much because of all the other people on there. They do say there is a private way to do it but I haven't bothered to figure that out yet. We had this private Mac Groups thing that Apple put an end to yesterday. We loved it but it's gone now and we don't quite know how to replace it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:26 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Maybe. Maybe you need to just not stress over something as silly as facebook. The main reason I have been stressing over this is I actually have to see this woman everyday. But never mind, I think I have come up with a way to answer her, you know, if you guys want to watch.

Yes, I think that you are taking a good approach there.((((((SG))))))))

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:30 am

There. What do you guys think about that? Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 am

Would it be possible to cut and paste the conversation into here for us who are not on face book?

I'm just curious, no pressure.

Maya
maya3
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 pm

I haven't posted much on facebook recently because of that. Here, I can post what I actually think about, on facebook I always wonder what effects it is going to have down the road. It's like sitting down with the extended family for dinner.

Oh, apparently, I am a scholar too. Is there any other level, I wonder? I can justify that we have studied it more than your average Easter and Christmas person, as we have pretty much figured out why we don't believe what everyone tells us we should, but it does seem like it could be an ego stroke for people to take the quiz and be told that they are a scholar no matter what.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Hey, did ya'll see I took the "How enlightened are you?" quiz last week? As I mentioned, I'm so thrilled that 5 internet questions can tell me I'm enlightened! sunny

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:22 pm

And yeah, all my extended family has added me so it's like, Jesus or nothing. Laughing

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:38 pm

I just took that quiz since you mentioned it. Apparently this gun toting, pickup driving, red neck is "Divinely Inspired".

Since my first thought upon reading it's result was "yeah, kicked all your asses on that one" I think the test is flawed. Laughing

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Lol, that's great!

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 pm

(((((((SG))))))))
It's not a mountain mole hill question.
It's just flat out ignorance. They do not know any other way to be. They have been indoctrinated at such a young age and taught that there is no other way to be that when they meet someone different they must pounce and indoctrinate the poor soul.

But when they meet resistance they act shocked and offended when application of the clue-by-four ensues.

I have my "public" internet persona. HexPainter. If you go to my Website and look around you'll find out who i am, but you have to go to Facebook, MySpace, Bnet(in the old days) here to put me totally together...
I don't give out 100% at one given place. I've learned that you never know who's lurking through your "public" documents. I don't use my real name on FaceBook, Myspace, Bnet or here. It's on my website. Those who want to dig and know can find out. Family is on Myspace. That's bad enough when you see some of my "Friends" there.
hexpainter
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:41 pm

SG, that was awesome! Good explanation....now we have one less completely ignorant Christian out there....good job! Smile Hug2

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 am

I'll post the entire conversation, plus the consequence here, but it will have to be after work. Had a wedding yesterday, and I didn't get home until late. So tomorrow those of you who haven't seen it will be able to take a look.

BTW, did someone here named Mark friend me? I have a friend request, don't know the fellow, and no indication who he might be. I just need someone to give me a clue. Send me a PM if it would make you more comfortable.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm on Facebook (just sent a request SG and private message here about it--look for a message from Larry), though I don't post there much. I blog on Tribe and then copy it to LiveJournal. Tribe was my first general social site because my Burner peeps and other local folk were on it. I got an LJ account because some other local friends were on there. I blog on those two sites because I can blog freely about anything--Pagan stuff, polyamory stuff, personal issues, my art and music, fart jokes--without worry about anybody getting offended.

Facebook, on the other hand, is a completely different experience. My network is much larger, even though I've pared many people out of it.* It's also a mixed network, largely composed of former schoolmates, with some local folks of different sort added in.

I have family who found me, plus relatives of my wife who've come knocking--relatives I've not yet met. So, I don't mirror my blog posts there. Facebook supposedly has privacy controls that allow a user to select which friends can read any given note posted, so I may begin mirroring the blog there, too.

Anyway, to bring this 'round to some semblance of topicality, my best friend from high school is on FB with me. We've remained in loose contact over the years. What's interesting is that he's a Christian. He's a minister. He's served in the Salvation Army Officer Corps. He currently works for a Christian non-profit in support of ministries across Indiana and does Christian comedy gigs on the side.

He's never tried to convert me. He's known that I've not been Christian since I walked away from it all those years ago. I know that I can count on him to lend an ear or a place to crash or whatever I might need, should I call on him--without trying to convert me. I tend to measure the worth of friendship with Christians by the yardstick he's established.

And many of the people in his network are fundies. I've pissed them off with some of the comments I've made to his status updates, just because I'm politically left of Adolph Hitler and Sarah Palin. I wonder how he responds to the messages asking about who "that guy" is.

SC

*When I first joined, I signed on to a group about music composition and got befriended by dozens of people from around the world. I've since removed most of them, simply because most weren't getting involved in the discussions on the group and I doubt I'll ever get to meet them. The few remaining have discussed issues in the group or traded messages with me.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Ah, facebook. I actually appreciate the open-ness of it. Since I put my religion down, I haven't had to address any issues or explain myself to family at all. They all seem to have a "oh, that makes sense" mentality about it now. I've lost a few friends who've turned out to be more fundie than I usually associate with, and I love to piss off the fundie friends of friends.

https://www.facebook.com/amcdevitt?ref=profile&__a=1

Send me a message there if ya'd like to add me telling me who you are here/bnet.

Luv,
TH

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 am

I don't spend much time on facebook. I have an account, but spend more time on myspace because my daughter is on there and several friends from work are on it.
My family.... well... one sister doesn't "do" the internet much, I talk to her regularly on the phone. The other sister lost her mind over a year ago, got offended because I didn't leap to praise what she thought I should have (long story for another thread). My youngest brother, well, I talk with him or his wife weekly at least. The other two brothers usually only call when they want something, and since they can't get money out of me any more, so I don't hear from them much.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:03 am

Aren't family dynamics/relatives interesting? Smile

My daughters (two of them) talked me into facebook but they don't post much. Some of their friends friended me and some of the younger members of a writer's group I belong to have, too, and so I've decided that Facebook (that account at any rate) exists to remind me of all the twentysomething angst and wild emotional swings of the younger generation. I tell myself that it will make my writing more realistic.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:10 am

But you still have me!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:25 am

Yes, and I'm very glad of it. Smile

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2