YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I making too big a deal about this?

+11
Dromahair
itty
allthegoodnamesweretaken
MaineCaptain
tmarie64
Willowcreek70633
gillyflower
Gorm_Sionnach
Beribee
John T Mainer
sacrificialgoddess
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Am I making too big a deal about this? Empty Am I making too big a deal about this?

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:31 pm

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/sacrificialgoddess?ref=profile

Don't know how many of you can see that, but if you can't, friend me on facebook, tell me who you are over here, and I'll accept the friendship and you can have a look.

Here is the story: A couple of days ago, I saw that Chiyo had taken a "What is your Bible IQ" quiz on facebook and thought "why not?" and took it myself. That was my first mistake. My second was mentioning how easy the quiz was and how it wasn't even my book. So one of the Christians who I thought I considered a friend, but clearly doesn't know me very well, is now commenting there about how she hopes one day I'll be a Christian. Now, those of you who know my story know the issues I have with Christianity and how when I was one, the whole thing was a big, dramatic trauma. So, I started out trying to be nice about the whole thing, but it escalated as she left me with no other alternative (in my mind) than to think that she was hoping I would lose my religion, because naturally if that happened I would choose hers. Rolling Eyes

So I am asking, my friends, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Am I making too big a deal about this? Empty Re: Am I making too big a deal about this?

Post by John T Mainer Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Nope. They try it with you because they really don't give you the respect of understanding that your faith is as important to you as theirs is to them. The implication is that you are an idiot, and if you ever pulled your head out of your a$$ you'd run to JC and his traveling Psalm singers.

You would certainly never suggest that they were simply blind ignorant sheep trading their sovereign will for a pat on the head and regular shearing. That would not just be rude, but unforgivably arrogant.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Am I making too big a deal about this? Empty Re: Am I making too big a deal about this?

Post by Beribee Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 pm

I think your response was quite appropriate, SG! I'm very curious to see what she'll say now. The courteous thing would be to shut up! LOL If she had just said it once, then you could just chalk it up to her joking....but twice? I don't think so! Hug2

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/sacrificialgoddess?ref=profile

Don't know how many of you can see that, but if you can't, friend me on facebook, tell me who you are over here, and I'll accept the friendship and you can have a look.

Here is the story: A couple of days ago, I saw that Chiyo had taken a "What is your Bible IQ" quiz on facebook and thought "why not?" and took it myself. That was my first mistake. My second was mentioning how easy the quiz was and how it wasn't even my book. So one of the Christians who I thought I considered a friend, but clearly doesn't know me very well, is now commenting there about how she hopes one day I'll be a Christian. Now, those of you who know my story know the issues I have with Christianity and how when I was one, the whole thing was a big, dramatic trauma. So, I started out trying to be nice about the whole thing, but it escalated as she left me with no other alternative (in my mind) than to think that she was hoping I would lose my religion, because naturally if that happened I would choose hers. Rolling Eyes

So I am asking, my friends, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

I have never been comfortable with the idea that one NEED to join the religion of another and I have always interpreted any attempts (regardless of how 'harmless', 'unintentional', etc) at conversion to be nothing less than a personal attack and highly insulting. As the topic is specifically Christianity, it is my understanding of the "Great Commission" to convert everyone possible to that religion, and no matter how well someone means, when one is comfortable in their religion, any attempts at conversion are commentary on part of the evangelist towards the convertee, that they are incapable of making their own decisions regarding their choice of religion, and someone needs to compel them to join the "right" religion.

I might be "too sensitive" on the issue as well SG...

My two cents anyway,

Gorm.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:42 am

I think some people are bozos.

If their god wants the other person, their god can and will bloody well cut his or her own deal. If their god doesn't make the effort, s/he doesn't want them. Period. The only person who would ask another person to give up a god who is actively communicating, is a person who has never had an active god in his or her life and has no idea what that is like.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:22 am

Hysterical SG you are so cute!
I stopped over on Facebook, and my inbox was full with BNet/BCorner discussions. I noticed my husband threw into the mix! (He's soooo craaaazy)! I do understand all the hoopla though.
The Facebook & the BNet experience has been tireing for me. I have no patience when it comes to bickering, and all out war waging. A whole lot of hollerin about nuffin! This god/judgement thing pops up EVERYWHERE! Can't get rid of the problem children? Do what I do, honey. IGNORE the IGNORANCE!
Press delete, its a button on your keyboard...and Blow Up poof they're gone!
My dear SG, YOU are NOT making a mountain out of a mole hill, but your self respect, and your self esteem has been stomped on (again), so do the next best thing, offer up positive energy for yourself, take today in stride, and enjoy what it has to offer! Blessings!

Stir
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:08 am

Nope... A real friend does not care what your religion/faith or lack thereof is.
I would delete, and have deleted, anyone who makes religion an issue. Religion/spirituality is supposed to make you feel at peace, not pressured.
A friend doesn't pressure.
If she just mentioned it and let it drop after you said "no", it'd be different. If she just will NOT let it go... Kick her ass to the curb. Life's full of enough shit without getting it from "friends".

I sent a request... Tina N... to be added.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:21 am

I too, do not think you are making too much of it. If aimed at me I would have been very insulted. As Tina said Life's full of enough sh.. don't need it from friends too.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 pm

I don't think you are making too much out of it. Ya want me to pick a fight? Evil Grin

Honestly, I seem to be almost done with facebook. It's not that I've had bad experiences or anything, it's just that I have family and what not that did searches on my name and it came up. Now they want to talk and know all sorts of stuff about my life, and they just aren't on a need to know basis. My aunts, uncles, and cousins, etc, don't need to here about the stuff I talk about here. At the best it makes them all interested in asking me questions at family functions, and at worst, it gets them all worked up and negative towards me.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Well crap, that sucks ALL.Then you'll have to come here more and there less. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itty Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Agreeing here, SG. It is a big deal. It's your life, your spiritual walk and your practice. It isn't anyone else's. In this situation I'd delet them. Period.

No one has the right to try to brow beat you or try to convert you. That is comepletly rude and out of bounds. When it happens to me I think every one knows I have a tendency to blow a gasket. Hate that. It takes time to find the gasket or go get a new one. Meanwhile my brain is falling out. Not a good idea. affraid

I know what you've said about your difficulties with Christianity. You don't need to have anyone picking at the scars. Cap is right. You need to come here more and there less.
itty
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:So I am asking, my friends, am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Even if it was a molehill, those little suckers can trip you up something fierce if you're not watching where you step.

People have a nasty habit of not considering their words from outside their own perspective. Your friends crime (to my mind) is not in what she said (her intentions, I suspect, are nothing but good) but in failing to to see how her intentions (however well meant) could be seen as offensive and hurtful.

In any case, you've made your feelings clear. If she persists she's showing a lack of respect which has no place in "friendship."
Dromahair
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Yikes! Well that was a fun read. Wink Seeing as she didn't respond I guess you left her flabbergasted, angry or embarrased. I found what she said rude and out of place, and you phrased your comeback very well.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:25 pm

I didn't want to hurt her unnecessarily. I really didn't see the point in the conversation in the first place, since she has never asked me what I really believe.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Honestly, I seem to be almost done with facebook. It's not that I've had bad experiences or anything, it's just that I have family and what not that did searches on my name and it came up. Now they want to talk and know all sorts of stuff about my life, and they just aren't on a need to know basis. My aunts, uncles, and cousins, etc, don't need to here about the stuff I talk about here. At the best it makes them all interested in asking me questions at family functions, and at worst, it gets them all worked up and negative towards me.

all

I have the same problem, All. I have to be VERY careful what I say on Facebook, since my fundamental/evangelical family members have me on their lists! I stay out of Facebook as much as possible, and only post "vanilla" stuff, if you know what I mean. (I took the Bible quiz myself and was QUITE relieved that I made "scholar" status!! LOL)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Beribee wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

all

I have the same problem, All. I have to be VERY careful what I say on Facebook, since my fundamental/evangelical family members have me on their lists! I stay out of Facebook as much as possible, and only post "vanilla" stuff, if you know what I mean. (I took the Bible quiz myself and was QUITE relieved that I made "scholar" status!! LOL)

^ This.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Yes, well, I've had to have a split personality there so to speak. Family asked, then friends, then people at work. So. Argh!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 pm

I am sorry, SG! Duck tape on my mouth but honestly, what does tarot cards and the occult have to do with the gods? That's New Age stuff. And she doesn't understand big words like Unverifiable? Or the definition? Give me a break! Gah!

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Well, SG, at least she apologized! She seems to be at least attempting to understand (albeit not very well), but maybe (if she's a good enough friend to invest some time in) you could take this opportunity to educate her?? Just think, there would be one less ill-informed Christian out there! Laughing

Last edited by Beribee on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 pm

I need a hug. No

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 pm

*hugs SG*

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 pm

((((((((((SG))))))))))))) You are a lovely person and I'm proud of you.

It's just.... where do you start with that, eh?

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm just so... I don't know where to begin.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 am

Pigeons Laughing SG you are so grounding to us all! Your heart speak volume's through your written emotions. Your so cool!
However me, on Facebook? I just don't care. Its like I said before....if I don't talk to friends and family in the towns grocery stores, what makes them think I'm going to talk to them on the Internets? SHEESH! I can not afford to lead two separate lives. (thats for John and his Gemini twins to fight out!) I'm a Capricorn, and It takes all my energy to walk my path, balance myself, and live in the present for a full 24hr period. I don't have the intellect, or time to get down & dirty with god, religion, or politics on BNet (the ridicule, and hatred swept me away), why would I bother on a site like Facebook?
To send the message home to some lads, and lassies....in 2006, I watched Wanda Sykes "Sick & Tired"..."I don't give a f ck." sketch had me rolling! Wanda had put out to the public what well self respecting crones have kept secret all these yrs! Hysterical
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:19 am

Well, I can't give up facebook. I just connected with a bunch of old high school friends, which seriously freaks me out, BTW. So it was a day of highs and lows.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next