YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking a Break from Religion

4 posters

Go down

Taking a Break from Religion Empty Taking a Break from Religion

Post by Sakhaiva Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Greetings everyone.

Recently I ferreted out my journals from the past decade.... and I was saddened and shocked by how much time I have wasted - just wasted - struggling with religion. Most of my time was spent trying to figure out what a Christian is supposed to be (and my failure to be it); reading through the words made me so sad. So I'm officially taking a break from religion.

Let me rephrase - the general notion of religion/faith is currently symbolic of life's mysteries, nothing more and nothing less. I'm stepping away from all dogma to give myself a bit of room to breath and live life dammit.

Anyone relate?
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Taking a Break from Religion Empty Re: Taking a Break from Religion

Post by gillyflower Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Oh, yes. I've wondered if I can call myself Wiccan anymore. What I do and believe seems to work for me and conformity to what other's think or think one should do is not part of it anymore.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Fri May 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Part of the problem I had growing up was that because you were associated with a specific label, people expected you to behave in a certain way, and believe a certain thing.

One of the most freeing moments was the one in which I realized that the labels are just descriptors of what you are, they are not supposed to define the way in which you act.

So don't worry about what you are supposed to be in accordance to a label that you think you want. Figure out what you are, and then apply a label to describe it if you want.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Fri May 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Being Heathen is about taking complete responsibility for yourself, words, deeds, choices, and without a doubt those instances where we could have acted but didn't. One of the questions asked on our groups list today was about daily devotions, and a couple of people had things they did every freaking day (good on them I suppose), but the majority did whatever they felt moved to whenever they felt moved to do it.

Live true to yourself everyday, raise your voice to (insert your particular faith object here) when you feel inspired to. Heathens never take a break, even if they can go decades between formal observations.

As an aside, I served with a Catholic who responded to the Chaplains criticism that he had lapsed and was no longer practicing:
"I don't see the need to practice, once I've got it right"

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Fri May 27, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks - you guys are awesome. You know, we're all just trying to do the best with the lives we have... finding what works and what doesn't. Life is all about evolving, right?

All, it is very freeing.

((((((Gilly, All, JT))))))))
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down