YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you think people need to make fun of other people

+2
gillyflower
sacrificialgoddess
6 posters

Go down

Why do you think people need to make fun of other people Empty Why do you think people need to make fun of other people

Post by sacrificialgoddess Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:11 am

At work today, someone was mocking the publisher of another paper. What makes us (generic) prone to attack others. Particularly when the others are not there to defend themselves. Why do you think we need to put others down?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Why do you think people need to make fun of other people Empty Re: Why do you think people need to make fun of other people

Post by gillyflower Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 am

We don't like them? They irritate us half to death? It's better than saying I wish they'd quit, get fired, or have a brain or personality transplant?

I think it defuses our emotions sometimes. And sometimes we do it because we are upset at something else, or worried and some people do it because they are just plain mean people who prey on people who are weaker than they are. I don't like to be around someone who does it on a regular basis. It's just unpleasant and I don't trust them after that because I know they'd do that to me, the moment my back is turned. But other people vent a little and that's all it is.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why do you think people need to make fun of other people Empty Re: Why do you think people need to make fun of other people

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

For a lot of people it expresses their insecurities. People are mirrors, and if there's something we really make fun of or really, really dislike in someone, it's because there's an aspect of that in ourselves that we loathe (often deep-down). We don't really judge other people, just ourselves, in a different plane.

Been meditating on this for years. When I find myself highly critical of someone, it's because there's a trait of that in me. It's not them I have the problem with, it's myself. I think that's true for everyone, though not everyone is ready/willing/able to see it. What started me on that realization was my teenage homophobia.

We are our own worst critics.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

They go after this guy all the time, and they only know him well enough to nod to him across a room.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am

Then he's the scapegoat, SG. They concentrate on a target.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:09 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:For a lot of people it expresses their insecurities. People are mirrors, and if there's something we really make fun of or really, really dislike in someone, it's because there's an aspect of that in ourselves that we loathe (often deep-down). We don't really judge other people, just ourselves, in a different plane.

This. I heard yesterday that my sister-in-law was criticizing me to my boss and another coworker in the front office where we work. Apparently I was guilty of being a curvy girl in skinny jeans, something she would never have the confidence to wear despite being quite a bit smaller than me.

I just wonder what makes her think doing that is okay.
Genocon
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:54 am

They have to do it to make themselves feel better about themselves. Their self esteem sucks and they do it to try and convince themselves that others are as flawed as they are.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdfaery Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree it's mostly our own insecurities. I was a pretty miserable kid and I was horrible to those I thought were weaker than me. I was a geek who was mean to other geeks.
weirdfaery
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down