YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you make college long distance relationships work?

+4
sacrificialgoddess
DotNotInOz
gillyflower
JashimChando
8 posters

Go down

How do you make college long distance relationships  work? Empty How do you make college long distance relationships work?

Post by JashimChando Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:05 pm

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years in High School now, but
we are going off to different colleges. How do you make college long
distance relationships work? I really want our college long distance
relationship to work because we truly love each other. I do not think I
can imagine being without him...so if anyone knows how to make college
long distance relationships work, it would be greatly appreciated!

JashimChando

Back to top Go down

How do you make college long distance relationships  work? Empty Re: How do you make college long distance relationships work?

Post by gillyflower Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:53 pm

I don't know how to make them work. Mine didn't last - it was me who dumped him, and I was the one to go away to college. I don't think they should be "made to last." College introduced me to a much wider variety of men (and boys!) and many more experiences. My old boyfriend didn't want to grow or change and his ideas on women were very antiquated (he asked my father why he was wasting money of educating me since I was just going to get married and have kids). I am very glad that I met and dated more than just in high school.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How do you make college long distance relationships  work? Empty Re: How do you make college long distance relationships work?

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:53 pm

JashimChando wrote:My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years in High School now, but

I expect you're not going to want to hear what I have to say which is that I think you'd both do better to shelve this relationship and agree to date others.

A long-distance relationship is very difficult to sustain even when both people have established careers and live independently.

"I do not think I can imagine being without him" is the stuff of movies and fairy tales. I apologize for putting this so bluntly, but get over that kind of thinking and grow up. If the two of you truly are in love, you'll have a better basis for a lasting relationship once you've graduated college, gotten jobs and lived on your own for a year or two than you do now.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:00 pm

gillyflower wrote:I don't know how to make them work. Mine didn't last - it was me who dumped him, and I was the one to go away to college. I don't think they should be "made to last." College introduced me to a much wider variety of men (and boys!) and many more experiences. My old boyfriend didn't want to grow or change and his ideas on women were very antiquated (he asked my father why he was wasting money of educating me since I was just going to get married and have kids). I am very glad that I met and dated more than just in high school.

Wow. That comment alone would have earned a one way ticket to dumpsville with me. I can't blame you for dropping him.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Just musing on the types of guys I was attracted to when I was in high school...

Most people at that age are incredibly dumb and immature and have not the glimmerings of an idea how very dumb and immature they are. I certainly represented that remark.

I did badly enough picking Husbands 1 & 2 as a supposedly mature adult. If I'd married anyone I found appealing when I was in high school, it would've been a disaster for sure.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:30 pm

I was more attracted to the girls in my high school than the guys. They were just more attractive people, inside and out. Of course, my parents were taking me to a fundamentalist church at that point in my life, so the idea that I was attracted to any girl just had me freaked out and I was deep, deep in denial land.

Glad I was able to grow up and admit that I swing both ways. Smile

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm

How do you make college long distance relationships  work? Icon_rolleyes Well I don't need to add my 2cents here, its been already "said"! College, military, moving, doesn't matter what's happening before, during or after HS: What DOES matter, as a young person, you need to find out who you are, what you are willing to do, what your made of, & how do you want your life to be, as an adult! And "being" with someone else & finding out those things is: A direct insult to yourself mentally, emotionally, physically, & spiritually!
Willowcreek70633
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 am

JashimChando wrote:My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years in High School now, but

Hard work.

That being said, you've got to determine for yourself if it actually is worth the hard work or not, and you can't do that yet. You have incomplete information.

If he's right, it won't seem like hard work, if not, it will.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:12 pm

SKYPE_webcams etc ... make a difference these days but it still takes hard work
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 am

DotNotInOz wrote:

I did badly enough picking Husbands 1 & 2 as a supposedly mature adult. If I'd married anyone I found appealing when I was in high school, it would've been a disaster for sure.

How do you make college long distance relationships  work? Icon_cheers How do you make college long distance relationships  work? 112551

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm guessing that JashimChando likely won't listen to us since most of us didn't tell her how to keep this relationship going long-distance but instead discouraged her from trying to sustain it in those circumstances.

I didn't listen to advice about picking good husband material either, and I remember all too well how very smart I thought I was at her age about conducting my own life. (In short, nowhere near as smart as I thought I was.)

"Experience is the toughest teacher; she gives the test and then the lesson."

Oh, well...
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:13 pm

She hasn't seemed to pop back here since her initial post. It's a shame.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down