YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cats and the Bad Things

+2
tmarie64
gillyflower
6 posters

Go down

Cats and the Bad Things Empty Cats and the Bad Things

Post by gillyflower Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:33 am

...that happen.

My daughter - well, one of them! - called to say first she thought she had inadvertently poisoned one of her cats by accepting as a gift a lily plant. She had thrown it out after she learned it could poison her cats but was afraid one of them had eaten some of it because he was throwing up, not eating and lethargic. Second call: She took him to the vet and learned instead that he had swallowed some of her sewing thread and had to have emergency surgery. To the tune of $3300! The high cost of surgery. He had it all through his stomach and intestines.

Lesson learned: Lilies and sewing thread, both bad for cats.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cats and the Bad Things Empty Re: Cats and the Bad Things

Post by tmarie64 Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:45 am

Oh...OUCH!!! Poor kitty!

Poor wallet, too. But, if the kitty means anything at all, it's an expense not regretted. I'm glad she could afford it, too many people today can't afford something like that and it would be a death sentence to poor kitty.
Hope he's well soon.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Get well soon kitty, Yes ouch in many ways. Good daughter there though Gilly. I have a friend who cares about her cat but never takes her to the vet.

(((Gilly's daughter))))) (((Gillys daughter kitty cat)))))

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Boy does THAT hit close to home! Very Happy

Mine hasn't swallowed any more wire or string lately, even though he has access to it.

That seems like a really high cost for surgery.... when he had the wire all through his stomach and intestines I paid about $400 (and $100 in xrays) to have him spliced and diced and get it out. As much as I love my cat, more than anything, if it had cost that much he'd have had to be put down instead, it's just not feasible.

My kids are off to the vet for their annual on Tuesday.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 pm

She lives in Brooklyn. Things cost a lot more up there, I think. He had to have three different incisions to get it all out, poor cat, and had to spend the week at the vet, but he is doing much better now.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Yeah, I remember when a vet told me that despite all the cute illustrations of cats playing with balls of yarn, you should be sure to keep any kind of thread, string or yarn out of their reach. I've had a few scary moments of pulling partially swallowed yarn out of cats' mouths.

That said, I used to make crocheted squares with yarn that my cats loved to play with. Had a Siamese years ago who would run through the house, tossing one in the air and catching it as he ran. It was a hoot watching him.

I made sure to knot them securely, though, so they wouldn't come undone.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:46 pm

I have one cat that thinks string is a great idea, and now I am very careful. We had one cat when I was a child that got hold of the string that was a round the roast beef (After cooking) It must have been sufficiently weakened due to the beef and heat that he dd not suffer ill affects ( he digested it), but after that we were very careful. Note he took it out of the garbage, before we realized he would do that.

I wonder what the spca charges for emergencies like that in big cities?
We don't really have an aspca or spca here, but the humane society (which we have only had for about three years in this area) did help cover the cost of my kitten's hernia operation, they helped with about 40% of the 500 dollars.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Your cat had a hernia? Cats and the Bad Things Icon_scratch

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:19 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Your cat had a hernia? Cats and the Bad Things Icon_scratch

I told MC not to make him move furniture...

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Your cat had a hernia? Cats and the Bad Things Icon_scratch

lol!

Yeah, cats and dogs both can have hernias. They're usually birth defects, I think.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

That's right tell tails behind my back, in front of my face. Yes an 8 week old kitten has trouble moving a couch across the room. Cats and the Bad Things Icon_biggrin

On a serious note, yes, someone had thrown her from a car (going by her injuries) one of them was a tear , that created a hernia. We had her two days before it started to notice, they rushed her to emergency surgery.

Two days after that, she was running around like nothing had happened. She wanted to live. She is a tough girl.

Since they were in there anyway they spayed her at the same time. Did not charge extra for that. And that way, she did not have to have another operation. She is healthy as a horse now, practically flies around the house. Fears nothing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down