YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please!

3 posters

Go down

Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please! Empty Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please!

Post by DeavonReye Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 am

I'm interested in learning more about Brighid, from celtic lore, . . . the goddess. Can someone recommend a GOOD book on this topic? Thank you! Wink
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please! Empty Re: Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please!

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 pm

DeavonReye wrote:I'm interested in learning more about Brighid, from celtic lore, . . . the goddess. Can someone recommend a GOOD book on this topic? Thank you! Wink

I was somewhat curious/ suspicious considering your avatar...

None the less, I can not recommend a book dedicated to her, most of the ones I am aware of are neo-Pagan glosses (Brighid's Healing: Irelands Celtic Medicine Tradition, for example). However the best source to go to would be the numerous tales where she is featured. Mary Jones University (a good electronic source for Celtic manuscripts) has a decent article on her. You may also want to read through Cath Maigh Tured (the second battle of moytura), where she is mentioned with the other TDD, as well as the Lebor Gabala Erin (Book of the Taking of Ireland, IV). There are a few articles as well which deal with the relationship between Brighid and St. Brigit of Kildare.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please! Empty Re: Recommend, for me, a GOOD book on Brighid, please!

Post by DotNotInOz Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:13 pm

There's a trade paperback out called The Goddess Guide by Brandi Auset [ISBN 9780738715513, $16.95] that I'd suggest as a good reference work on goddesses worldwide. It has goddesses I'd never EVER heard of. Not a lot on Brigid but some basic information as well as cross-references to similar goddesses in other cultures.

At least, it's a start.

Forgive, please, if I'm talking down to you, but call any decent bookstore and give the clerk the ISBN which is specific to this title and format. They should be able to tell you within minutes if the book is in stock. However, do insist that they check to be certain it's on the shelf. Any decent bookseller will offer to do that without being asked. There are a lot of crappy ones in the big chain bookstores anymore, though.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks! We have a Barnes and Noble in my city, so I'm sure they can get it, if they don't have it in stock. Smile
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down