YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if you can't pay for your health needs?

+9
TPaine
gillyflower
sacrificialgoddess
John T Mainer
Gorm_Sionnach
TigersEyeDowsing
Davelaw
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Daldianus
13 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What if you can't pay for your health needs? Empty What if you can't pay for your health needs?

Post by Daldianus Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:07 am

Let's say you're poor, you don't have health insurance and your new born child is diagnosed with a genetic illness that requires him to be connected to a medical machine for the first year and then afterwards to other expensive medical treatments on a regular basis.

Or let's say you're what's usually called lower middle class, you're not really poor but you don't have much savings either (despite living quite frugally). You weren't insured yourself because your employer didn't include health insurance, instead you were insured through your husband. Now you get diagnosed with cancer, on the same day your husband loses his job (real case! not invented). Also the insurance of your husband finds a loophole which allows them not to cover you because the employer of your husband had less than 20 employees (and thus the insurance, for a weird reason, doesn't need to pay for you). You and your partner than take all your savings (around $20'000) to get the first series of medical tests and operations to get rid of the tumor. Then the money is used up. But the doctors tell you that you should really follow this up now with chemo therapy, otherwise the tumor could grow again. But you don't have the money for it.

What could be done in these cases?

What should be done in these cases?

How could you, or your child, survive this?

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

What if you can't pay for your health needs? Empty Re: What if you can't pay for your health needs?

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 am

Go to a childrens hospital that doesn't ask for payment like the Shriners hospital.

Go to a city hospital where they can't refuse service to anyone.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

What if you can't pay for your health needs? Empty Re: What if you can't pay for your health needs?

Post by Davelaw Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:35 pm

1) they automatically qualify for what already amounts to universal health care for the poor
2) with one income they may now be poor or every hospital has a certain amount of charity set asides-apply for these, apply for new medical trials while you sue the insurance company and your employer for failing to disclose
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:52 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Go to a childrens hospital that doesn't ask for payment like the Shriners hospital.

all

This.

Also, another option I've used in the past is going to a low-income clinic.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 pm

We have $50 a visit clinics that I utilize; but the real issue is catastrophic care.
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:22 pm

We need more clinics, for sure. The lines/waits/stresses on workers is too much.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:49 pm

...I live in Canada. cheers

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Repeat after me:

"I pledge and affirm my allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second of Canada, and her heirs"

Now go to the hospital and get treated. You don't have to sue, or beg. Health care in the richest nations on the earth is not a privilege, it is a right.

If you had to add up how many more people die each year because of lack of what the rest of the English speaking world accepts as minimal care, and compare it to the Iraq and Afghanistan casualty rates, you might stop wondering if bringing guns to health care rallies might not be a bad idea.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:00 am

that includes English speaking South Africa?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 am

Davelaw wrote:that includes English speaking South Africa?

Are they still a British territory?

Seriously. I don't know if they are.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:08 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
Davelaw wrote:that includes English speaking South Africa?

Are they still a British territory?

Seriously. I don't know if they are.

South Africa is a commonwealth country

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Go to a childrens hospital that doesn't ask for payment like the Shriners hospital.

They'll treat the kid for free? Even if it has continuous and expensive medical needS?

They'll do the chemo for free (or a much lower price)?

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:46 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:We need more clinics, for sure. The lines/waits/stresses on workers is too much.

who will finance these clinics?

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:47 am

John T Mainer wrote:Repeat after me:

"I pledge and affirm my allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second of Canada, and her heirs"

Now go to the hospital and get treated. You don't have to sue, or beg. Health care in the richest nations on the earth is not a privilege, it is a right.

If you had to add up how many more people die each year because of lack of what the rest of the English speaking world accepts as minimal care, and compare it to the Iraq and Afghanistan casualty rates, you might stop wondering if bringing guns to health care rallies might not be a bad idea.

Uh, doesn't Obama want to bring the US system closer to the better functioning health care systems of the rest of the western world?

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Celsus wrote:

They'll treat the kid for free? Even if it has continuous and expensive medical needS?

Actually the Shriners will. That is what they do.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:12 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
Celsus wrote:

Actually the Shriners will. That is what they do.

Wow, cool. How do they finance it? (edited: oh, it's a Masonic charity?)

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Uh, seems they have trouble financing the whole thing though:

On April 9, 2009, Ralph Semb, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Shriners Hospitals for Children, said "Unless we do something, the clock is ticking and within five to seven years we'll probably be out of the hospital business and not have any hospitals."

(from Wiki)

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:46 pm

I think probably it is time to stop trying to police the world and start spending our money in this country to better the lives of individuals here.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Celsus wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:We need more clinics, for sure. The lines/waits/stresses on workers is too much.

and neighborhood clinics are for profit
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:41 pm

gillyflower wrote:I think probably it is time to stop trying to police the world and start spending our money in this country to better the lives of individuals here.

what happened to the global village?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Davelaw wrote:
Celsus wrote:

and neighborhood clinics are for profit

so if there is a profit to be made then why aren't there more/enough clinics?

Daldianus
Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 pm

American doctors have higher wealth expectations and we stupidly limit the amount of foreign trained professionals that can enter this country

the clinics are general practice; the majority of American med school graduates specialize
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Medical school is expensive, as All has thrown out there... I'm sure once a doctor graduates he expects to be paid well, and not spend his days working for peanuts with the trash of society.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:27 pm

the artificially high cost of medical school is part of the problem
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Davelaw wrote:
gillyflower wrote:I think probably it is time to stop trying to police the world and start spending our money in this country to better the lives of individuals here.

what happened to the global village?

Do you mean why don't I think of everyone in the world before I try to care for the needs of the people in my family and my friends?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next