YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger

+12
TigersEyeDowsing
maya3
Beribee
samhain_autumnwood
MaineCaptain
allthegoodnamesweretaken
John T Mainer
DotNotInOz
gillyflower
Willowcreek70633
Gorm_Sionnach
Sakhaiva
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Empty Re: Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:20 pm

To take a minority slant.

I come from a philosophy that anger is a sin.

With that said, and to quote the Christian philosophy, we're all sinners. Very Happy

I do my best to maintain a total lack of anger. It's my theory that anger is the same emotion as fear, it's simply fear manifesting in a different way.

I get angry that my wife cheated on me. I'm really afraid that I'm losing her or doing something wrong. I get angry that I got passed up for a promotion. I'm really afraid I'm not good enough. I get angry that a loved one got hurt. I'm really afraid for their safety and wellbeing. I get angry about drunk driving. I'm really afraid someone's going to get hurt.

That said, some fear (like the last two examples I used) is good. It keeps us on our toes and, evolutionarily keeps us alive.

Anger can also be movitational. As John said, it's a tool. IMO, it's a tool that generally shouldn't e exercised... I believe most anger doesn't serve us, if we have it, we serve *it*. I usually tell people I get angry about once or twice a year, and if you see it, you'd better run. I get agitated a lot, but when I'm angry, you'll know it.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Empty Re: Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger

Post by MaineCaptain Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 pm

That's interesting Tiger, I like that. And that may be why I don't get angry that often. Of course the downside could be I just don't care....Embarassed

But there are things I do care about, and only when I can not help or alleviate suffering or prevent the problem, that I become angry, so that could be fear of the situation continuing. Good points. I agree

Nice Tiger

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Thank ya, dahling. Smile

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Sakhaiva Embarassed Very Happy

John,
I really like what you wrote. I have gotten to that stage once that I can remember where I became extremely focused. It was amazing but I rather not have had the experience that led up to it.
But I wonder if I can get to that experience with a less traumatic event?

Ted,
I'm going to try to think that it's fear, I wonder if that would help with my anger situations, I'll get back to you to let you know.

Maya
maya3
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

I think we are talking about two different things. Cold anger, or useful anger is not thought based. Mind and body are one, you are dealing with a threat.

Hot anger is thought based. Not action based. You think about things and get angry. This is not useful, it is self destructive.

Instances of cold anger, while scary upon reflection, are self preserving.

I get the same feeling that John does. At least the way he is describing it. I will say that I do have some fatigue the next day.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

In Yoga we view anger as a 'klesha' ... an obstical to overcome. Yoga makes no difference between different types of anger.

I would never choose to use my anger as a tool as anger is often based in wrong thinking/judgments. On this note, here is a quote I stumbled across on the 'Art of Dharma' blog

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
~Buddha

It's interesting to me that people choose to use anger and not feel drained. In me, strong anger can lead to Pitta imbalances and can also trigger migraines and other issues..... and seldom are any real changes made because of my anger (be it passive or a direct attack)

On a last note... for some reason, whenever I think of the word 'anger' I smell cigars. Is that odd? Must be a lingering memory from my youth.....
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:13 pm

How would you describe anger?
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Anger is a flash in the pan, properly it is the flash in the priming pan that triggers the greater rage. If a thing is not great enough to demand the rage, then it should be controlled, lest it simply be a wasteful and counter productive discharge.

To understand how my folk view anger, you must allow me to slip into our symbolic language for such discussions, the runes.

If anger triggers the rage, it is the opening of a floodgate of potential for change, a power like Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Hagalazhagalaz, the destructive wrath of nature, the power of conflict resolved, which is the answer to Issa Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Isathe ice of constraint, bondage, and stasis.

The rune of Odin is Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Ansuzansuz, which is both inspiration, and warning as it calls inspiration the mouth of the river, sheath to the sword. Inspiration should control the release of words, but constrain the use of weapons. Clearly the master of the Berserkyr rage was master of its control, and mindful of the needs to constrain it.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Teka Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm

In the last year I've had a couple of instances where I could apply the ET solution which is to quiet myself and just observe the feeling inside me. When the feeling dissolves some excellent idea comes to mind for an action that is non destructive. Call a repairman, take a drive, go visit friend, go for a swim.

This is anger generated from ego issues, not life,death and throw yourself in front of a train issues.

Teka

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 pm

For me the best way to get rid of irritations and a bad mood is to go for a bike ride and get a good cardio work out. It's like the adrenalin melts away.

Maya
maya3
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks Maya.

Thinking of this thread.... the idea of a wimpy yoga teacher talking about 'Anger' with a couple of meaty Asatru guys brought to mind a certain Far Side comic....

Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Larson11
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Hysterical That is so funny

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

Sakhaiva wrote:Thanks Maya.

Thinking of this thread.... the idea of a wimpy yoga teacher talking about 'Anger' with a couple of meaty Asatru guys brought to mind a certain Far Side comic....

Living Out Your Philosophy: Anger - Page 2 Larson11

LOL!

I don't think you're wimpy. You have opinions and you are willing to express them. Ghandi was not wimpy because he was non-violent, in fact, I think he said it rather well when he said: "It is better to do violence, if violence is in your heart, then to be non-violent out of inaction".

Avoiding anger does not make you wimpy. Avoiding violence does not make you wimpy. Avoiding disagreement because you do not wish to upset people, and refusing to stand up for yourself because there are those who disagree, does.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Avoiding anger does not make you wimpy. Avoiding violence does not make you wimpy. Avoiding disagreement because you do not wish to upset people, and refusing to stand up for yourself because there are those who disagree, does.

all

indeed.... failure to express oneself honestly (the source of many a migraine for me.) Some of us (me) have been conditioned from birth to be wimpy, I think. But that doesn't mean we (I) need to stay that way.

Thought-provoking post ALL, and fierce Ghandi quote.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm a big fan of Ghandi. The man had balls. When you are facing off against one person who means to do you harm, violence is an acceptable means of defending yourself. He stood up to colonial rule. What works against 1, or 5, or 10 does not work against 10,000 backed by force of government. Violence in that instance only gives them an excuse to kill you. His method was the only means he had that had a chance of working in that situation.

We all need to work on things. The important part is what we do.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

all

indeed.... failure to express oneself honestly (the source of many a migraine for me.) Some of us (me) have been conditioned from birth to be wimpy, I think. But that doesn't mean we (I) need to stay that way.

Thought-provoking post ALL, and fierce Ghandi quote.

I LOVE the far side, and that one is hilarious! I'd never seen it, thanks for sharing.

We are conditioned to be 'wimpy', especially women, to be liked. Since I'm on a Thatcher roll, Very Happy , “If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.”

For me, this de-programming is a process that's taking years, and needs to be done slowly and carefully. I started as THE pushover of pushovers, and have slowly worked up to where I can stand on my own two feet and still have quite a ways to go. It's a process that there are books and classes for, and self-empowerment doesn't come easy. You can believe in everyone else and still not believe in yourself. On the flipside, folks are teaching their children (from what I read) too MUCH self-confidence to the point they're reckless and believe themselves capable of anything.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm

I don't know if this deprogramming is a process that ever actually ends. Well, we all die, but while we are alive, I don't know if it ends. The best we can do is question everything.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:23 pm

True, that. I guess I should have phrased that as 'reaching the intended goal/level of necessary assertiveness'.

John C recommended this excellent book to me that's really pointing out how necessary it is that women BE confident and assertive for their own protection, and how they usually aren't.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:31 pm

I get so tired of the idea that women should be delicate flowers. Even in the carry community, there is the idea that women can't handle the bigger guns, and that there is no point in them carrying extra mags/speed loaders because they'd never get a chance to use them.

Seriously, if the flabby guy who's best exercise is 12 oz curls can handle a .45 ACP, most of the women I know can too.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I've seen women firing 84mm Medium anit-tank recoil less rifles, ATGM, SAM, 25mm autocannon, 105mm and 120mm cannon, light and medium machineguns, submachine guns, assault rifles, pistols, and sniper rifles.

I've seen one female REME type bench press a Jeep with one hand so she could access a bolt with her torque wrench. Honestly, if there was a weapons that she was too small for, I don't see anyone on this board (including me) who could handle it.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

I've heard women at the range think (they've been convinced) that a 9mm is to big for them. Things like the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Causal do frighten me a bit. The recoil on that bastard is a bit much. But it's also a bit bigger than you would ever need for CCW purposes. I wouldn't consider it for carry purposes, even if I could afford it right now.

I think the same rules should apply, carry the biggest caliber you can handle, in the biggest gun you can conceal, with as many reloads as makes you comfortable. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:58 pm

My husband wants to bring me to the range so he can show me how to shoot all of his weapons. (I currently only know how to load and shoot a 50 cal. blackpowder rifle). However, my kids don't want him to because they're afraid I'll outshoot them!!! LMAO!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 pm

LoLFlag

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 am

Beribee wrote:My husband wants to bring me to the range so he can show me how to shoot all of his weapons. (I currently only know how to load and shoot a 50 cal. blackpowder rifle). However, my kids don't want him to because they're afraid I'll outshoot them!!! LMAO!

That's actually a pretty valid fear. I've heard that for the most part, women are better marksman than men are. I keep trying to get my wife to go to the range with me, but she keeps saying that it is my time, and my hobby, and she thinks I need the alone time.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:16 pm

John T Mainer wrote:I've seen women firing 84mm Medium anit-tank recoil less rifles, ATGM, SAM, 25mm autocannon, 105mm and 120mm cannon, light and medium machineguns, submachine guns, assault rifles, pistols, and sniper rifles.

.... I'm pretty good with a longbow. Surprised

(I am part elf afterall)
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next