YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacred Space

5 posters

Go down

Sacred Space Empty Sacred Space

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 pm

So, coming from a Pagan background, I became aware of the making and utilization of "sacred space", that being an area which one makes sacred, or believes is sacred; and in which one (or more) performs rituals, prayers, divination, rites, etc. Where I am today the making of sacred space is not a relevant aspect of my practice, but I am curious for those Pagan's but especially everyone else, what have your experiences been with this concept?

Do you make your own sacred space, and if so by which means?

Is there a particular geographic feature, site or structure which is your sacred space?

Do you have a need to have a specific location which is sacred, or will anywhere do?

Do you find yourself at home, outside, a structure more often than not, i.e. where do you spend the majority of your ritual/prayer/ceremonial time?

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Sacred Space Empty Re: Sacred Space

Post by John T Mainer Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Hearth spirits are best reached by the hearth, or in the dining area. Landwights are best reached at whatever area of your surrounding land you find most restful. As that is the sign of the wights touch, that would be the most effective place to work with them.

Making sacred space is not a big part of my practice, save for group ritual where fire and steel can mark and cleanse the space for ritual use at need. Making sacred the space I live in is a part of my practice, because I don't want the gods, ancestors and wights to just be beside me on feast days, but join with all of my family in all of our days.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 am

Great question!

Sacred space is important in my path and practice. We make it, because we believe everything is energy, and if one's going to do a specific spiritual activity s/he needs to be grounded and centered first and have the area cleansed of negative energy that can impair the work at hand. Of course it can be an elaborate ornate ritual but in reality all it takes is a few seconds of willpower to bless and cleanse the area within your auraspace to make it conducive to spiritual activities. There is nothing necessarily permanent or geographic about it; however, if you know about ley lines it's best to set up a permanent workspace away from those since they, by their nature, pull on your aura and diminish it slightly when you're in the way.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gangajal Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Sacred space is very important in Hindu practice. What is sacred space? Basically any space where Divine is meditated on becomes sacred. One's mind becomes calm when one enters such a space. One tries to avoid worldly thought when one is within that space. This is the reason why most Hindu households have a shrine room.

gangajal

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Interesting question. I have an area of sacred space. It is across the street from my home, It is oddly what is left of a wooded plot, that got turned into a parking lot. There stands the matriarch ( A large Apple tree with smaller surrounding trees and new maples, Even Wild Rose bushes with the most heavenly of scents lives there.

This spot had a draw for me from the minute I first step there, I go there to meditate and even those not interested in such things notice a special feeling and an unusual calm about this very small plot of land.

It only takes up about 20 X 12 feet and buffers us from the stripped parking lot. Grasses, butter cups, other wild untended things grow there. The birds nest there and the apple tree feeds the birds in Winter. I go there everyday. And have a special relationship with the Apple tree there. I tend this land by keeping it clean, and pruning the trees. .

And live in terror that the owner will obliterate the area, when they pave the parking lot this Summer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down