YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weird Thought of the Day

+3
MaineCaptain
Chiyo
Sakhaiva
7 posters

Go down

Weird Thought of the Day Empty Weird Thought of the Day

Post by Sakhaiva Thu May 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Like many people, I spend a good deal of time and effort researching family history, preserving momentos to pass down to another generation and so forth. I have an antiquarian book collection and really enjoy touching something that has actually been in the hands of my kin, and I know that one day these items will be passed to new generations who will pass it to the generations that follow. Such things add to my life's purpose and also offer the hope of keeping me 'alive.'

But at some point, be it mass extinction, extreme war or simply the Sun's own demise, everything will vanish and there will not even be the slightest hint that I ever existed.

And that is Linda's weird thought of the day.

Cheers!
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Weird Thought of the Day Empty Re: Weird Thought of the Day

Post by Chiyo Thu May 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:Like many people, I spend a good deal of time and effort researching family history, preserving momentos to pass down to another generation and so forth. I have an antiquarian book collection and really enjoy touching something that has actually been in the hands of my kin, and I know that one day these items will be passed to new generations who will pass it to the generations that follow. Such things add to my life's purpose and also offer the hope of keeping me 'alive.'

But at some point, be it mass extinction, extreme war or simply the Sun's own demise, everything will vanish and there will not even be the slightest hint that I ever existed.

And that is Linda's weird thought of the day.

Cheers!

Toilet Weird to everyone except a Buddhist. Esp. a traditional one who carries on the Buddhist tradition of living in (or across from a cemetery), in order to be reminded of this thought every single day. Thanks for the reminder! Pigeons
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Thu May 07, 2009 8:34 pm

You know it is funny, I see everything as spirit, everything, so to me, no one will be forgotten, we will just be somewhere else. with those we love.

And hopefully the only forgotten thing, is the pain and strife of this material existence.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Thu May 07, 2009 10:36 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:You know it is funny, I see everything as spirit, everything, so to me, no one will be forgotten, we will just be somewhere else. with those we love.

And hopefully the only forgotten thing, is the pain and strife of this material existence.

Spirit plays a part, or as Buddhists would say; the immortal Buddha Nature plays a part... The thing is though, I've always been "spirit" or have always been "Buddha Nature", I've always been in existence, somewhere and in some form. But I don't have any memory of my previous incarnations. And honestly, so far, there's been nothing spectacular to remember about this particular incarnation - I've had a good time and tried to bring happiness to others, but I haven't won a Nobel Peace Prize or discovered a cure for cancer, so I won't really mind if it's forgotten. I just hope for a fortunate rebirth, hope for happiness and progress in the future. Pigeons
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 pm

You know I could bonk you on the head for that one.

You do not need to win a prize or cure a disease to be worth remembering.

You are a good friend, your brighten ones day by just being you. You are special no matter what you think.

We may not remember our past lives, but that does not mean someone doesn't, or that someone else's life is not so much richer for having had you touched their lives. cat

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 pm

I think I'm still too sick for this board. Nothing on this thread is making a bit of sense to me. scratch
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Thu May 07, 2009 10:58 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:We may not remember our past lives, but that does not mean someone doesn't, or that someone else's life is not so much richer for having had you touched their lives. cat

That's a really cool thought, MC!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:You know I could bonk you on the head for that one.

You do not need to win a prize or cure a disease to be worth remembering.

You are a good friend, your brighten ones day by just being you. You are special no matter what you think.

We may not remember our past lives, but that does not mean someone doesn't, or that someone else's life is not so much richer for having had you touched their lives. cat

Hug2

You know, M.C., every day, I look across the street to that beautiful cemetery... It really is the most beautiful cemetery, so full of 18th century scultpure! Ancient and impressive. And I see thousands of "people" who desperately wanted to be remembered (that's why those impressive stones were put there), thousands of people who were worth remembering. With the exception of one wealthy man who has his bust on his grave, I don't know what any of them looked like, I don't know their deeds or their personalities - but I feel them here and it's a peaceful, good feeling... Anyway, most of those people are largely forgotten. Not because they weren't "worth" remembering, but because that simply is the way things are. All things are passing. Most dinosaurs did not become fossils, were not preserved. How many religions, languages, books and works of art have been destroyed or died out or simply faded away, never to be seen, heard or thought of again. The Buddha said that, eventually, Buddhism would die out and disappear. Actually, he'd thought it would only last 500 years, wouldn't he be surprised to know that it's lasted 2,600 years! Anyway, he said all things are passing, only the Dharma (Truth) is eternal. It's not a matter of whether I feel "worthy" of being remembered, all 6 billion people who are on the planet right now are "worth" being remembered, but it's a fact that 100 years, 200 years, 300 years from now - only a fraction of us will, in fact, be remembered. And that thought, frankly, just does not bother me. I'm at peace with it. I don't need a granite tombstone or a bust of my face on my grave. I don't need to be remembered.
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Beribee wrote:
MaineCaptain wrote:We may not remember our past lives, but that does not mean someone doesn't, or that someone else's life is not so much richer for having had you touched their lives. cat

That's a really cool thought, MC!

It is a really cool thought. It is what the Buddha said is eternal. Not the memory of our incarnation, but the effects of the compassionate deeds of our incarnation will ripple throughout eternity. The effects of our compassionate deeds are eternal. cheers cheers cheers
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Thu May 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Chiyo wrote: The effects of our compassionate deeds are eternal.

You should put that as your signature, Chiyo!

I'm going camping this weekend, and I'm hoping to be able to play my flute out in the woods....I've been looking forward to it since November! Oh, and I made a really cool flute bag for it to keep it protected. I love that website you gave me.....I printed several songs and have been practicing them!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Beribee wrote:
Chiyo wrote: The effects of our compassionate deeds are eternal.

You should put that as your signature, Chiyo!

I'm going camping this weekend, and I'm hoping to be able to play my flute out in the woods....I've been looking forward to it since November! Oh, and I made a really cool flute bag for it to keep it protected. I love that website you gave me.....I printed several songs and have been practicing them!

Hug2 I'm really glad you've been enjoying the websites I'd sent your way. They really are a treasure and I've spent lots of time there myself. Yep, me too, I've printed off a lot of songs and put them into a binder (with sheet protectors).

I'd thought about making a flutebag, but decided against it. I mean, if I'm going somewhere then I'm not just going to take my flute, I'm also going to take my bindered sheet-music too. (Sorry, I'm just not into improv.) So, it makes more sense for me to carry something like a briefcase or duffle-bag and to have a good, sturdy box to put my flute into so it's protected while it's in the briefcase or duffle-bag... I haven't made that box yet, but am fairly certain that I will have one by my birthday in the next couple of months. bounce

Btw. I think you might want to look at these?
[url]http://www.cedarflutes.com/backpack_native_american_flutes.htm[/url]
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 am

Wow! Those are nice sounding flutes....and they're so inexpensive! I might just get myself one at that price!!! Thanks for sharing! Hug2

Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Fri May 08, 2009 8:38 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I think I'm still too sick for this board. Nothing on this thread is making a bit of sense to me. scratch

Damn that swine flu.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Fri May 08, 2009 8:57 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:I think I'm still too sick for this board. Nothing on this thread is making a bit of sense to me. scratch

Damn that swine flu.

Oink. Razz
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Chiyo wrote:It's not a matter of whether I feel "worthy" of being remembered, all 6 billion people who are on the planet right now are "worth" being remembered, but it's a fact that 100 years, 200 years, 300 years from now - only a fraction of us will, in fact, be remembered. And that thought, frankly, just does not bother me. I'm at peace with it. I don't need a granite tombstone or a bust of my face on my grave. I don't need to be remembered.

Really well stated Chiyo.

It's still a weird thought to me.

For years I just assumed I'd be remembered... I assumed that there was something unique to my life; a point. Then to have to eyes open; to detatch from things like 'success'/'failure'... status.... labels... we'll, it's alltogether natural and yet very weird to me.

But maybe this is why I like hiking. Trees don't go around trying to prove their worth. They just are. One day they won't be -- and though their lives eventually create new lives... sapplings don't necessarily give credit to their nurse-logs.

Weird Thought of the Day NurseLogHohME98
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
Chiyo wrote:It's not a matter of whether I feel "worthy" of being remembered, all 6 billion people who are on the planet right now are "worth" being remembered, but it's a fact that 100 years, 200 years, 300 years from now - only a fraction of us will, in fact, be remembered. And that thought, frankly, just does not bother me. I'm at peace with it. I don't need a granite tombstone or a bust of my face on my grave. I don't need to be remembered.

Really well stated Chiyo.

It's still a weird thought to me.

For years I just assumed I'd be remembered... I assumed that there was something unique to my life; a point. Then to have to eyes open; to detatch from things like 'success'/'failure'... status.... labels... we'll, it's alltogether natural and yet very weird to me.

But maybe this is why I like hiking. Trees don't go around trying to prove their worth. They just are. One day they won't be -- and though their lives eventually create new lives... sapplings don't necessarily give credit to their nurse-logs.

Weird Thought of the Day NurseLogHohME98

I spent the vast majority of my childhood up in trees... During summer weekends, when my father would comb the campground looking for me, he would tell my mother; "Look up in the trees..." Laughing He knew me so well. Shoot, I would even fall asleep up in the "arms" of a maple tree that stood in our back yard. Sleep
I have loved trees.
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue May 12, 2009 6:00 pm

Weird Thought of the Day TheGivingTree-1
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:Weird Thought of the Day TheGivingTree-1

Bow Bow Bow
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by itty Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

You know I feel much the same way you do Chiyo. I am not upset or saddened by the fact that when I pass I will not be remebered for long. You give a time line of 100, 200 or 300 years. I think it's a lot shorter. I think of my parents. My dad died thirty years ago. My mom has been gone for about severteen years. My brother, biological, was killed nine years ago. I think of all of them from time to time. But, honestly, they don't figure promenantly in my daily life. They just don't. My life went on and theirs did not. I don't mind that at all becuase I think this is how things are supposed to work.

It takes a generation, or less, to be 'forgotten'. I expect this to happen to me in that amount of time. Or less. I find comfort in that actually. I feel like I am part of the vastness of the universe. It is such a lovely stew isn't it?
itty
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 am

You know it is funny. Before this topic was first posted I remember saying to someone. "When someone dies it is almost like they never existed"

Not because they did not have an effect, but over time the idea that they were, becomes.............I don't know how to explain it, it is almost like they were not real.

My Mother was the closest person in my life, even now I have never had anyone close to me in that way. I do think of her often, but the memory is more like a dream then as if she was ever real.

Not my feelings for her, just the idea that she ever was. For those who are not attached by loving feelings, It make those who have gone seem more like stories or fictional characters then reality.

I am not explaining this well. Sorry guys. Losing my mind I think

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Actually MC, you explained perfectly, how memory functions.

Our memory is not like a computer, with files that remain unchanged over time. Ever time we access a memory, it changes - though we are unaware of it being changed. It's a very interesting process.

Itty, it is a lovely stew we are in.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by itty Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Memory is funny that way isn't it? Our lives go on when someone else's does not. I think about the rituals that are gone and the new ones that replace them.

We all have rituals in our lives. They anchor us is some respects. Think about our childhood rituals and then think about them now. Do we still have them? Have they changed over years?

We all 'die' every day, don't we? We experience the here and now then it's filed away somehwere in our memories. We look them up, part of them, from time to time and remember them. Through a filter of what is real and present in our lives. Our memories shape us and they change to accomodate what we are today. That is a miracle isn't it?
itty
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Sun May 24, 2009 12:02 am

Wow Itty, your post made me pause.... I don't recall my childhood rituals. I suppose my mom would come in and read to me, then rub my back. I do restorative yoga with my own kids (just a tiny bit) and then rub a bit of lavender oil on their backs.....

.... I don't read to them at night because it puts me to sleep and I get grumpy. How silly is that, but true.

You're so right, every day is like a new birth with new chances to be happy and experience something wonderful.... darn how easy it is to forget that.

((((Itty))))) I'm so glad you're back online.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down