YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine)

+5
Dromahair
sacrificialgoddess
samhain_autumnwood
gillyflower
Gorm_Sionnach
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) Empty Beltane (Lá Bealtaine)

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:44 am

The first of May is fast approaching, what (if any) plans do you have for it? Traditionally (Gaelic) this is the beginning of the summer half of the year (ending at Oiche Samhna), which also coincided with the ending of the season of tale telling.

Traditional activities involve the passing of livestock (and more contemporarily, people and their pets) between two bonfires (torches, candles) as a consecrational and protectionary rite, usually at dawn on the 1st. Also customary, this was the only time in which the hearth fire would be allowed to go out, and the hearth totally swept out. The fire would be taken from a more central festival fire and used to reignite the hearth fire for the year. The fires are regarded as having luck, however this is also the only day in which the custom of hospitality is to be refused, as the fear that anything given out of the home would take the luck with it.

This is often considered the only day of the year on which the Hawthorn (or other thorn trees) could be cut and collected for use on the altar.

As this period is also the mirror of Oiche Samhna, it is another period of overt liminality, and the veil between the other world and this becomes considerably thinner.

The visiation and blessing of holy wells was also a common custom.

Does your tradition/path have any specific activities, rites, blessings, for use on this day?

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) Empty Re: Beltane (Lá Bealtaine)

Post by gillyflower Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:35 am

We celebrate May Eve but I don't have any plans for it this year. One of my daughters is getting married very soon and that has sort of taken all my energy.

Instead I'd like to share a little bit of cultural America that is long gone. When I was a little girl in the South, May Day was a big deal in my community, at least it seemed like it was to me. I remember dressing up and holding a ribbon as we children danced in and out around a May Pole. There was quite a party that day.

We also cut flowers in the morning and left them in decorated baskets on the front mat for our neighbors. We would ring the doorbell and run and hide. My children did this when they were growing up but I never knew of any other families that did and I haven't seen a May Pole in many many years.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samhain_autumnwood Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a May Pole in my life.

That's a shame.

Mostly I go to work, and on the weekend I mow....

I like the leaving flowers for the neighbors idea gilly, though I'd have to be careful which ones I do that to, might end up getting shot at....

Oh! That does give me an idea though (flowers, not getting shot at).
I can start giving a bouquet of flowers to my wife and daughter for Beltane..... that'll be a neat tradition to start...

Thanks for the idea!
samhain_autumnwood
samhain_autumnwood

http://crazy-jeaux.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 pm

You've never seen a Maypole? Shocked
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:59 pm

I found this picture that was like what I remember.

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) Maypole48

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:02 pm

And here is one from 1963. It was done at schools too.

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) 007935_MayPole_63B

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 pm

We did them in school when I was in elementary.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:08 pm

It was a lot of fun, even better if the Moms brought in cupcakes and lemonade. Smile

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samhain_autumnwood Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:29 pm

I guess I should've been more specific.

I've never seen one in real life that I can remember.

I've seen pictures of them and in movies....
samhain_autumnwood
samhain_autumnwood

http://crazy-jeaux.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Like I said, I did them in elementary school. confused
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 pm

The encroachment of Paganism in our public schools... 30 years ago...

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 pm

It was part of some kind of folklore lesson.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Well the maypole is a folk custom in England (which was later imported to Scotland and Ireland)

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 pm

I was 6. I don't remember what point they were trying to make.
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:44 am

It was just the May Day Festival. When she was young one of my aunts was May Queen at her college. I think in the South we take any excuse to have a party.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dromahair Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:24 am

Gorm_Sionnach wrote:Traditional activities involve the passing of livestock (and more contemporarily, people and their pets) between two bonfires (torches, candles) as a consecrational and protectionary rite, usually at dawn on the 1st. Also customary, this was the only time in which the hearth fire would be allowed to go out, and the hearth totally swept out. The fire would be taken from a more central festival fire and used to reignite the hearth fire for the year. The fires are regarded as having luck...,

I usually do a big bonfire (which you leap over - sometimes through - keep a hose handy Neutral ). Sacrifices are made. The boundaries of my home and property are walked with an eye toward warding off the things we don't want and inviting in the things we do. All fires (along with the ol' electric lights in the house are extinguished until a bit of the fire from outside is brought inside). Once the inside fires are "relit" all the cooking can begin and you spend the rest of the day eating/socializing/storytelling.

Of course this year the weather folks are predicting buckets of rain so I'm not sure how much of that is really going to happen (which sucks cause I scheduled three days off of work for it) - ugh!
Dromahair
Dromahair

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Oh Drom it sounds wonderful, I hope you get the opportunity this year.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:58 pm

My brother has a whole May Day weekend celebration. It culminates with a May pole being erected. I have yet to be able to get up there to see it, but I do go the weekend after with a group of friends. All the women are always reminded not to touch the May pole unless we want to get pregnant! LOL Someday, maybe I'll get to go up for both weekends....time will tell!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Hey, I only now realized that the CR pop on YS has doubled! Shocked

wiigii! cheers

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyddion9 Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 am

Hello everyone,

A blessed Beltane to all Exclamation

I'm going to do something different today. Since I'm by myself for today, I'm going to go to a park i found and sit quietly and take in the energies, watch nature, and commune with the Goddess and God.
Money is tight and my energy is really low as I've been sick for several months. I found this park yesterday and it's in a quiet place and best of all, not a lot of visitors on the weekdays.

However you honor the Gods in ritual today, May you all be blessed. Clap

There is a Pagan/New Age/ whatever else you're looking for, store in my area. they always erect Wink a May Pole in their store. It's fun as there's always a group of people dancing around it periodically through out the day.
Gwyddion9
Gwyddion9

Back to top Go down

Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) Empty Thought I'd bump this one up

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Thought I'd bump this one up to see what the plans are for everyone's May-Day/Beltane!

I have my girl in Spiral Scouts and this year we're working on our Beltane badge. I've got to confess that I'm totally excited as I've always wanted to build / be involved with a Maypole dance yet have never had the opportunity. Now I do! To experience this holiday, we're going to bake some Fairy Kisses and make some whipped strawberry creme to dip them in. Then we'll make a few flower wreaths and welcome the dawn with a maypole dance... or some chaotic version of it.

We'll be taking our Maypole to the next Spiral Scout circle (with this in mind, I think I'll need to make a 'hand-held' version ... perhaps using one of my hiking sticks.)

As part of the badge, we're also reading about May-time holidays from other cultures. And since we're also entering the 'milk moon' .. watching Heidi seems to be appropriate.

So any plans this year? Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) Icon_flower
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks for the recipes, Sak! No plans as of yet, but I am a fly by the seat of my pants type.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I really, really wanted to go to my friend's place for his annual May Day celebration complete with a May Pole....whole pagan celebration that lasts the entire weekend....would have been my first time....BUT I have to do something really important at church. Go ahead, scratch your head....I'm quite complex sometimes!!! ROFL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 pm

LOL, yes you are Beribee, but we love you that way Beltane (Lá Bealtaine) 875125
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm planning on doing much the same as I did last year, ritually anyway. Since I have weekends off now (having recently switched jobs) I can actually plan something more elaborate (even though it will involve me getting up before dawn on a Saturday T_T), and I'lll likely cook a good meal as well.

Should be a good day!

Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next