YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it important?

+14
DotNotInOz
Davelaw
TPaine
gillyflower
AutumnalTone
itty
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Mintie
John T Mainer
Gorm_Sionnach
MaineCaptain
wontgetfooledagain
TigersEyeDowsing
sacrificialgoddess
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is it important? Empty Is it important?

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Is it really important for us to know where we come from and why we are here? Really?
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Is it important? Empty Re: Is it important?

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes and no.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Important? I don't know... But we are curious creatures. We want answers to our questions.... so much so.. that we make them up if we don't have one.

Ya know... like a talking snake in a garden a few thousand years ago... that sort of thing. Wink

wontgetfooledagain

http://www.myspace.com/robertvincentmusic

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:31 pm

I think the origin is important if you're looking for the perspectives on the why are we here and what are we supposed to do wtih our time. Some may disagree but I think the beginning is the most important blank to fill if we're expected to know what to do with our time.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Honestly I do not really care, I am a curious creature most definitely, but why people are here is not an area I am curious about. I love science, and particularly astronomy, but why we are here nope, don't think about it. Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 pm

In one way it is of central importance, as the Cosmogenic myth in many cultures instructs our understanding of the cosmos. The natural order, the purpose of humanity, the purpose of the Gods (whether they be the makers or custodians of creation). In this way it allows us to understand why things are the way they are, and gives us a model to base other aspects of culture on.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:34 am

My genetics professor told us that he had good news and bad news. He knew the secret of life, and would share it with us.

The secret of life is that your only purpose is to pass on your DNA.
We can prove this.
It in no way helps formulate moral, ethical, or legal decisions; and offers no guidance whatsoever in living that life.

How you understand the cosmos in relation to your origin myth is important in shaping your world view, but honestly the real answer for why you are here can be something as useless as your mom can't hold her liquor, or dad bought cheap condoms. Neither of these in any way prepare you for the choices that await you or the legacy you leave behind.

By my professors description, some of the greatest men and women in history are utter failures, as their genes were not passed on. Likewise some losers on Death Row with four babies abandoned with four separate mothers would be deemed a success as they passed on their genes.

How it came to pass matters less than what you did with it while you were here.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:30 am

John T Mainer wrote:My genetics professor told us that he had good news and bad news. He knew the secret of life, and would share it with us.

We can prove this.
It in no way helps formulate moral, ethical, or legal decisions; and offers no guidance whatsoever in living that life.

How you understand the cosmos in relation to your origin myth is important in shaping your world view, but honestly the real answer for why you are here can be something as useless as your mom can't hold her liquor, or dad bought cheap condoms. Neither of these in any way prepare you for the choices that await you or the legacy you leave behind.

By my professors description, some of the greatest men and women in history are utter failures, as their genes were not passed on. Likewise some losers on Death Row with four babies abandoned with four separate mothers would be deemed a success as they passed on their genes.

So true!
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:41 am

For as long as I can remember, I've been thinking about why or how we got here. Of course, as a kid... the answer that I was given was simple. "God did it". But just like Santa Clause, eventually I needed actual evidence to support that. The more questions I asked... the more I realized that nobody could support it.... and also saw the frustration on their faces. I think I drove people crazy with all my questions... Tantrum

I no longer look at this concept from a religious standpoint.. nor do I think it has anything to do with how we are supposed to live our lives. And the deeper I've studied it, the more irrelevant this human concept of "God' has become.

But the idea of how or why (if there even is a "why"..) still fascinates me.

It always amuses me that certain people of faith will snicker at me and tell me that I don't have any answers to how or why we are here. Which is true. But of course, unlike them.. I prefer not to make something up just to satisfy my curiosity.

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:52 pm

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:05 pm

John T Mainer wrote:

If believers know one thing for sure, it is that our gods and ancestors will be reviewing with us what it is we have "made up". As an athiest, you really only have what you make up; and it is that which stares back at you from the mirror. Build well.

Actually, you don't know that for sure.... you only believe it.. but that's fine.

Yes... everybody makes up their own mind as to their purpose in life. But... as a believer.. you also only have what you make up... including your gods.

And the whole "god in the mirror" thing is a typical insult tossed at atheists by theists. But I'm used to it... and I also know that all they have is what they see in the mirror as well. So.. like you said.. build well.... Smile

Rob

Last edited by wontgetfooledagain on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:34 pm

UPG. In the end, UPG. Smile
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Hey John..

Not sure what happened.. but I wanted to respond to your post in more detail on this post.... but somehow, in the process your post disappeared. So I then decided not to respond....

I think I hit the "edit" button instead of the quote button.. but I'm not sure why your post disappeared.

Forgive me... still trying to figuire out this software, I guess. Embarassed

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm

John T Mainer wrote:My genetics professor told us that he had good news and bad news. He knew the secret of life, and would share it with us.

We can prove this.

Everyone is better than their birth.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:18 am

wontgetfooledagain wrote:Hey John..

Not sure what happened.. but I wanted to respond to your post in more detail on this post.... but somehow, in the process your post disappeared. So I then decided not to respond....

I think I hit the "edit" button instead of the quote button.. but I'm not sure why your post disappeared.

Rob

Computers are smarter than we are, and smug about it. No worries. I have more than once killed my own posts with the stroke of a key, or occasionally when my mouse decides to use the mysterious third and forth buttons that do something drastic and irrevocable that no one has explained yet.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I think it is important to know.....

But part of that "knowing" is actually knowing. There is nothing wrong with having beliefs about something, but it is of utmost importance to differentiate between those beliefs and actual knowledge. If reality, and your beliefs about reality are in conflict, one of them needs to change.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:25 pm

John T Mainer wrote:
wontgetfooledagain wrote:Hey John..

Rob

Computers are smarter than we are, and smug about it. No worries. I have more than once killed my own posts with the stroke of a key, or occasionally when my mouse decides to use the mysterious third and forth buttons that do something drastic and irrevocable that no one has explained yet.

Thanks for understanding, John. Believe me... it was not intentional. Embarassed

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I think it is important to know.....

But part of that "knowing" is actually knowing. There is nothing wrong with having beliefs about something, but it is of utmost importance to differentiate between those beliefs and actual knowledge. If reality, and your beliefs about reality are in conflict, one of them needs to change.

all

I agree with what you are saying, all... but everyone seems to have their own reality. I suppose that's why we have so many different ideas about this concept of "God".

Rob

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:31 pm

wontgetfooledagain wrote:

all

I agree with what you are saying, all... but everyone seems to have their own reality. I suppose that's why we have so many different ideas about this concept of "God".

Rob

No, we all have the same reality, it's the beliefs about it that differ.

No one's beliefs trump anyone else's and that's an important thing to remember.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek. Reality is reality, and isn't going to change. So if reality is shown to be in conflict with your beliefs, your beliefs are the only thing that can change.

Cool
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:37 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

all

Rob

No, we all have the same reality, it's the beliefs about it that differ.

No one's beliefs trump anyone else's and that's an important thing to remember.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek. Reality is reality, and isn't going to change. So if reality is shown to be in conflict with your beliefs, your beliefs are the only thing that can change.

Cool

Yes.. I know what you were saying, all.. but my point was... people tend to create their own reality... one that they can deal with. And not surprisingly, their beliefs line up with that reality.

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 pm

And then there's Mythbusters.

Is it important? Irejectyourre128622493201557302
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Ok.. I'm a geek.. but I love that show. Smile

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:24 am

Me too. I caught their 2 hr special demolition derby the other night. I was tired, and wanted to go to bed, but they were going to drop a BMW from a helicopter at 4000 feet.

Needless to say, I had to see that.

Very Happy
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by wontgetfooledagain Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:27 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:UPG. In the end, UPG. Smile

Yes, SG.. I'm all for UPGs... but when somebody tries to impose their UPG on me and my life.. then I usually return the compliment. Smile

wontgetfooledagain

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:50 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:UPG. In the end, UPG. Smile

Yes, SG.. I'm all for UPGs... but when somebody tries to impose their UPG on me and my life.. then I usually return the compliment. Smile

That's my policy! Very Happy
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next