YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas

5 posters

Go down

Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas  Empty Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas

Post by greenqueen08 Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey guys!!
I'm hoping you can help me out here, I will soon be writing a paper of which the subject must explore a given theme comparatively in at least two colonial venues (i.e. missionary-shaman interaction in New France and New Spain, perceptions of native diabolism in New England and New France, native women and religious vocations in New France and New Spain). Topics should deal with some aspect of specifically religious encounter between European colonists and native peoples.
The course is called "Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas" here is a bit of a description: "When Europeans and aboriginal peoples met for the first time, this momentous encounter had shattering consequences for the worldview and identity of both groups. It is difficult, in our own globalized world of the 21st century, to relate to the cognitive shock of first contact between peoples, cultures, and concepts which had previously been wholly unfamiliar to one another, except perhaps by comparing it to the paradigm of alien visitation. The existence and behaviour of these heretofore unknown strangers raised a host of existential questions which seemed to demonstrate the inadequacy of the traditional religious models of the world which the cultures of both continents had used to try to understand the world. These first, tentative, confusing, and sometimes violent contacts would shape centuries of religious encounter in New Spain, New England, and New France.
This course explores the effects of these complex, unfolding religious encounters upon the lives and worldviews of both European and indigenous peoples in these three epicentres of contact. " Anderson 2011

I would love to start up a little pool of ideas for a topic of my paper, I'm having a hard time finding an interesting one that hasnt been mentioned above but that will also be easy to research. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated to kick start brain!
Thanks so much!

greenqueen08

Back to top Go down

Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas  Empty Re: Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas

Post by Southern Hick Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Good evening Greenqueen08.
I bid you velcome[smile].
Eh,.... is not all of us helping you vith your homework rather like cheating?
Can you truly think of nothing for yourself, dear lady? History books are filled vith such examples, are they not?

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas  Empty Re: Religious Encounters in the Colonial Americas

Post by greenqueen08 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Smile Thank you for your welcome Southern! I'm in no way asking for anyone to write my paper for me, rather help me get the ball rolling to find and interesting topic. The course I am taking is an elective so I have no background or previous knowledge in it, therefore I am having some dificulty. I was aiming to find a reputable topic that the professor didn't mention and one that has enough information available on it. I apologize if you feel I am going about this the wrong way I didn't mean to come across as looking for a hand-out. Just looking for opinions!

greenqueen08

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I can't think of anything. I'm afraid that having enough information on it is the problem.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Good evening dear woman[smile].
I meant no offense by my words, dear lady, and offer my apologies if my post seemed accusatory in nature. I did not mean it to appear so.
Hmmmm.....
What about when the British Empire colonized and dominated the country/natives of India[to name one of many places.]?

Southern Hick

Location : Originally the Florida Everglades, but now, the swamplands near Inverness, Citrus County Fl..

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm

I don't know if it would work for your class or not, but, it seems in the world today, there is a shortage of one specific type of viewpoint related to that. Would it work to do the paper not from the viewpoint of the European colonists but from the viewpoint of the native inhabitants?

Even sources out there when written by a Christian, are from a Christian view of the world. It would be interesting to see something from not just a Native American, but from a Native American perspective, and Native American world view.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Hick Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Good afternoon[smile].
The closest thing I have to a book like that is one titled "Custer Died For Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto", by....Vine....D[?]...[whatever their last name is[shrugs shoulders.], from 1969.

Southern Hick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Card's Alvin Maker series does a fictional approach to some of this; having Native Americans, African Americans, Puritans, Quakers jand Craftv pracitioners all interact with one another in an alternative Revolutionary America
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down