YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum.

4 posters

Go down

Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum. Empty Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum.

Post by DeavonReye Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 pm

A moderator has suspended me for a month from the SCIENCE SECTION of his christian forums because I was making truth statements against those who promote pseudo-scientific claims. . . .and that there IS no conspiracy on the part of the science community to "conceal the actual truth of creationism in favor of evolution". That there is evidence that the earth is far older than YEC, and that there WAS no Noah flood in the literal sense . . . and stating so, seems to be enough to offend their TOS.

What I think is happening is that they know that they have no leg to stand on and I [and another on there] is dangerous to those who may be "led astray" by the actual truth.

That's why I really like this site. There are a variety of religions here. Of course, not a lot of science discussions, and if there are, not anyone really making claims that "the Grand Canyon was formed from the run off after the flood waters began to receed". Oh well, . . . I will wait my month, but will probably be banned there for speaking the truth, because. . . what the hell ELSE am I going to talk about on there??? Rolling Eyes
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum. Empty Re: Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum.

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:07 am

I'd catch hell if ever I went to a Christian forum. Then again, I have issues...

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum. Empty Re: Getting suspended for speaking truth on science section of christian forum.

Post by gillyflower Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:25 am

I have issues with pure ignorance and stupidity too. Not that Christians have an exclusive on that. What bothers me is that what we laughed at in our more, shall we say, simple, ignorant and naive - and often bigoted - Christian cousins when I was young, is now... it's like all those simple, ignorant and naive Christians have banded together in a union and think their ignorance, stupidity and bigotry is something to be proud of and The Right Way to Think.

And there are so many more of them than I once thought. Whereas you just used to run into it them down dirt roads at country gas stations now it is hey ho, Deliverance (and I'm talking about the movie) all over the internet.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 am

The above rant is courtesy of the public comments to the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps very inspiring comments about the repeal of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell thing.

"Section 8 of the Constitution is pretty simple,” he told a group of Marines at a base in South Korea. “It says, ‘Raise an army.’ It says absolutely nothing about race, color, creed, sexual orientation.

“You all joined for a reason: to serve,” he continued. “To protect our nation, right?”

“Yes, sergeant major,” Marines replied."

“How dare we, then, exclude a group of people who want to do the same thing you do right now, something that is honorable and noble?” Sgt. Maj. Barrett continued, raising his voice just a notch. “Right?”

“Get over it,” he said. “We’re magnificent, we’re going to continue to be. … Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/06/21/straight-talk-from-top-enlisted-marine-on-dont-ask-repeal/

Some of the comments after the article though make me weep for humanity.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 am

I wasn't even thinking about those issues. I was just thinking that my upbringing gave me a full subscription to the freak out magazine. supaburn

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I wish people weren't so uptight and combative about their religion. I feel that if there is merit to a person's religion, such things wouldn't bother them because they would think, "he has a right to his opinion, but I'm certain about it". Maybe that's asking too much.

For example, I see the "6 days of creation*, found in Genesis, as pure fiction. I see it as a myth. However, the single word "myth", to some people, is SO offensive. So, look at your own belief for this question. If someone said that a characteristic of your religion was a myth, would you be angered/offended?
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:09 pm

No of course not but that is because I know that the definition of myth is a story about a supernatural being or one that conveys something that is important to a culture. It says nothing about its veracity.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks for your input. Perhaps some very devout christians see the term "myth" and what they think of when they hear the word, "the Greek gods", and because they "know that there is only one god, and these Greek gods were never real [thus "a myth", in their eyes], . . . to see the term "myth", when talking about one of their precious doctrines, is blasphemous and insulting. Truth is, . . . there is just as much veracity to the Greek gods and goddesses as there is in the biblical god.

DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:51 pm

DeavonReye wrote:I wish people weren't so uptight and combative about their religion. I feel that if there is merit to a person's religion, such things wouldn't bother them because they would think, "he has a right to his opinion, but I'm certain about it". Maybe that's asking too much.

For example, I see the "6 days of creation*, found in Genesis, as pure fiction. I see it as a myth. However, the single word "myth", to some people, is SO offensive. So, look at your own belief for this question. If someone said that a characteristic of your religion was a myth, would you be angered/offended?
if its myth ; it ain't fiction
I'm a fan of Campbell so the word myth doesn't offend me as near as much as the phrase "pure fiction"

Have you seen the work of the physicist who claims that from the POV of being at the center of the Big Bang the universal expansion would seem like six days while outside it would be billions of years?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Thanks for your input. Perhaps some very devout christians see the term "myth" and what they think of when they hear the word, "the Greek gods", and because they "know that there is only one god, and these Greek gods were never real [thus "a myth", in their eyes], . . . to see the term "myth", when talking about one of their precious doctrines, is blasphemous and insulting. Truth is, . . . there is just as much veracity to the Greek gods and goddesses as there is in the biblical god.

the Greek myths have echos of the Judeo-Christian mythos or vice versa-Pandora/Eve Prometheus/the serpent-Lucifer

In the beginning = the Gods slay Chronos
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Davelaw wrote:Have you seen the work of the physicist who claims that from the POV of being at the center of the Big Bang the universal expansion would seem like six days while outside it would be billions of years?

I haven't heard that theory.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Davelaw wrote:the Greek myths have echos of the Judeo-Christian mythos or vice versa-Pandora/Eve Prometheus/the serpent-Lucifer

In the beginning = the Gods slay Chronos

I've seen this, and even in the OLD religions from Babylon, and how there are interesting similarities. It is an interesting study that I should look into.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 am

You should! If you could find a university or online course on myth, it would be fascinating. There are several lectures/courses available at iTunesU on myth for free.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down