YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be?

5 posters

Go down

Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be? Empty Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be?

Post by DeavonReye Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Whenever there is a discussion on some christian forums, and the topic of "the Devil", "Satan", or "Lucifer" comes up, it is always the case that they will state that "he is all evil, nothing good found in him, that he hates everyone, that he wants all people to go to hell, etc,". However, when I did a search for "The Devil" or "Satan" in the bible, I didn't really find anything there that seemed all that bad. For example, saying "Satan hates humans with a hatred that cannot be understood, they hate us simply because we are like God."

If this being actually exists, has he become a "scapegoat" for people that need "the devil made me do it" type of things? In my opinion, . . . men do plenty of bad things all on their own.

Is it all just tradition based upon people's own suppositions?
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be? Empty Re: Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be?

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Dualistic attitude.

People want to have the all-good (God, can do no wrong, perfect) and to have that they need the all bad (Evil, can do no good, perfectly bad). People seem to be hard-wired as dualists; I think it comes from childhood reinforcement from "is that good or bad?" "is that hot or cold?" "is that a boy or a girl?" I dunno. Armchair psychology but that's how I explain it.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be? Empty Re: Is Satan/The Devil/Lucifer really who some believe him to be?

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 pm

The concept of Satan varies a lot throughout the Bible. Consider in Job... hasatan simply means 'accuser' and is a title, not a name. Which portion of the Bible are we to emphasize? I think it's mainly a traditional thing.

As for my personal beliefs, thinking out loud.... Luther believed that evil spirits existed. Some people are good.... some are really naughty. Putting these two ideas together, if spirits exist, they can also be somewhat naughty. In that light, I do believe in the concepts of 'good' and 'evil'; in good spirits and bad.

Not too deep, but there we have it.

Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey.... didn't TED have a message in here too? (Rubbing eyes.) Maybe I'm confusing threads.

In any case, thought I'd add this tidbit to the topic:

• Most conservative Christian churches teach beliefs that are grounded in the 1st century CE - that Satan is a profoundly evil, fallen angel who is totally dedicated to the destruction of everyone's lives. He is a supernatural being who "walketh about, seeking whom he may devour," and is aided by countless demons. He and his demons are all pervasive. They engage in world-wide "spiritual warfare," and are a continual threat to all. They can dwell within people, as in demon possession.

• Liberal/progressive Christian churches tend to view Satan as a principle or concept of evil, without any physical existence or personality. They acknowledge that Jesus and his disciples believed in the presence of a living entity called Satan. They realize that the gospel writers wrote of exorcisms which drove indwelling demons from within people. But they attribute these beliefs to the pre-scientific level of knowledge at the time.

• Archaeologists and anthropologists, religious historians and other researchers have traced the development of the concept of Satan from its origin in the Zoroastrian religion, via the ancient Babylonian Empire, to ancient Judaism, and finally into Christianity and Islam.

• Most present-day Satanists belong to religious groups such as the Church of Satan or the Temple of Set. Most of the former are Agnostics; they do not believe in Satan as a living entity or as a God; they view Satan as a basic force or principle of nature. Members of the Temple of Set recognize the ancient Egyptian god Set as a deity. Both groups' beliefs about Satan have little in common with Christian beliefs.

Religious Tolerance

I suppose that, for today, I fall into the 'Progressive Christian' category.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I did! But it...disappeared. Sad I've been censored! Angry

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I did! But it...disappeared. Sad I've been censored! Angry

Question
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Satan must have deleted it.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:20 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Satan must have deleted it.

Ha! Beer
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Deavon, you might speak to our very own Ebon is a self-proclaimed Luciferian Malthiest-which in simplest terms is the Bible is accurate in its portrayal of God-God is Evil so therefore he is siding with the opposition

(and yes, I'm a conservative born-again Christian and consider Ebon to be a close friend)
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

Maybe he'll see my post. Smile
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 am

Do you want me to send him an email?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 am

If you would like to, . . . . thanks Dave. Smile
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:
I suppose that, for today, I fall into the 'Progressive Christian' category.

Me too, Sak!! Makes sense to me (for now)!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down