YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did you give up for Lent?

5 posters

Go down

What did you give up for Lent? Empty What did you give up for Lent?

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:45 am

A question to all of our Catholic members, what did you give up for Lent? How difficult was it to go 40 days without that particular thing?

I have some friends (not catholic but doing it out of empathy for one of their friends) who gave up Chocolate and Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What did you give up for Lent? Empty Re: What did you give up for Lent?

Post by Mintie Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

I'm a big movie fan, so we gave up movie nights at the theatre.
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am

I'm curious. What do you think is the purpose behind giving up "this" or "that" for Lent?

And, a secondary question, why don't people add or pick up practices for Lent? For example, giving up chocolate but adding something healthy to their diet? Or giving up movies, but using that hour to volunteer at a local homeless shelter?
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:05 am

I don't really understand Lent, except for the aspect of 'fasting'. confused

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mintie Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

This is taken from Wikipedia

There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving
(justice towards neighbour). Today, some people give up a vice of
theirs, add something that will bring them closer to God, and often
give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations.

In addition to giving-up movie night, I gave up fries from McDonald Wink

Bringing my husband and his younger brother closer was also a goal of mine. Since they have a 9 years age difference they have very little in common...So Saturday night became family game night in an attempt to bring them closer. Mission accomplished.

And Chiyo, those are great ideas, we don't have a homeless shelter but we do have a mobile soup kitchen.
Mintie
Mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 am

Chiyo wrote:I'm curious. What do you think is the purpose behind giving up "this" or "that" for Lent?

And, a secondary question, why don't people add or pick up practices for Lent? For example, giving up chocolate but adding something healthy to their diet? Or giving up movies, but using that hour to volunteer at a local homeless shelter?

Actually, one priest of our church when I was a child actively encouraged this sort of thing. He said that penance was all very well and good, but that he felt it was even better to do something positive also. I bet he'd have approved of your ideas.

I later adopted the custom of a guy I dated in college. He gave up giving up something for Lent. Twisted Evil
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiyo Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:42 am

My understanding of Lent, is that it is to be a time of self-inventory; to this end, one should take add on a good habit, even while seeking to end a bad habit, or to at least take on a penance and know why they're taking on penance - as opposed to doing just because it is traditional to do so at this time of year.

One of the greatest tools ever given to me by the Catholics, is "The Examination of Conscience". I still use it to this day. (The Buddhists have their version too.)

http://www.scborromeo.org/confess.htm
Chiyo
Chiyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down