YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self-santification

5 posters

Go down

Self-santification Empty Self-santification

Post by newnature Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Motivation is the key component when it comes to self-sanctification. Do we have a self-sanctification in the positive sense of separating ourselves from those things we know that are not good for us or not good for others, not in order to merit any more righteousness before God through that performance, but in light of all that God has already made us to be IN Christ (Our new identity). On the opposite end of that self-sanctification spectrum, we have those who suppose that their behavior is the source of their right standing with God, that is self-sanctification negatively. They suppose that becoming more righteous in practice will make them more righteous in God’s sight, faulty thinking on their part, Paul called it foolish. It will not gain them Heaven, it will not help them avoid the second death. Paul lets us know that in the book of Romans that God did not make Heaven for good people, God made Heaven for sinners who are justified freely by God’s grace. Paul did not set himself apart in order to gain a greater righteousness before God through his performance, but that he made his life-style (to the best he could) conform to who God had already made him to be in his sanctified or set-apart position being joined to Christ that he might more affectively reach others. That was Paul’s key motivation; there is a vast difference in those two motivations. Setting oneself apart for holiness is one thing, setting oneself apart because of the holy standing God has already given that individual in Christ is something altogether different.

Last edited by gillyflower on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed link)

newnature

Back to top Go down

Self-santification Empty Re: Self-santification

Post by gillyflower Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 am

We encourage discussion, rather than lectures. Plus no links, please.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:03 am

Ummm... Yeah... What? I HATE copy and paste lectures!!!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am

Pal, I don't want anything to do with your deity. I have my own.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 am

You guys please watch for a while? Tina? I am off to see the new grandchild and don't know if I will have much free time or computer access for a bit. Many thanks.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I'll keep an eye on things. Smile

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Yawn.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey, Deavon! How ya doin'?

I'm kinda jealous of Gilly. I can't wait for my girls to be done with school and ready to start their families. Scott and I always wanted to be grandparents. LOL Of course, that's probably SEVERAL (as in at least 10) years in the future. They both want educations and careers before settling down.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm doing pretty well, marie, thanks for asking!

Yeah, it is best to be fairly settled before breaking out the kids, . . . but unless you get an education in a really good field, there may not ever be a "best time", so I hope they give ya some grand kids soon.

I never had kids so obviously won't have grand kids myself. I CAN live vicariously through my sister and her kids. I'm the fun uncle. Smile 
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:40 pm

The oldest has pretty much decided on Global Affairs as a major and Conflict Analysis and Resolution as a minor. I think she's eyeballing the State Department.
The youngest has a "Bucket List" that requires she do something lucrative because one item on that list is "Tour a Pyramid in Egypt"... LOL I don't know if I'll get grandkids out of that one.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 pm

I wish them the best. It would be nice starting of fresh . . . and young. Wow, how I would have done things differently . . . if I had known then what I know now.

"Make the best of it" is the new norm.
DeavonReye
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Surprisingly, they both pay a LOT of attention and really listen to what older folks tell them. They're both old enough to remember "Dollar Tree" Christmases before Dad got his degree. They've seen his income increase because of his education and they are both
pretty thrifty with their money. They will wait to buy something just to make sure it's not a whimsy. And, believe you me, I KNOW how lucky we are that they are this way.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum