YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do non-deists frame opinions about abortion vs. women's choice?

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How do non-deists frame opinions about abortion vs. women's choice?  - Page 4 Empty Re: How do non-deists frame opinions about abortion vs. women's choice?

Post by Prudence6 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Prudence6 wrote:
Why don't you just make your point instead of leading me thru a metaphorical maze?

I am going to illustrate a difference in perceptions in regards to attitudes in regards to life and health and the lengths that one is willing to go to defend it. In order to do so, I need you to answer the questions, and another one, have you ever heard of Asatru?
I think it's your turn to answer my question.

Prudence6

Back to top Go down

How do non-deists frame opinions about abortion vs. women's choice?  - Page 4 Empty Re: How do non-deists frame opinions about abortion vs. women's choice?

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:36 am

That's an interesting demand. Why don't you want to answer his questions?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prudence6 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

gillyflower wrote:
Prudence6 wrote:
gillyflower wrote:If the baby is healthy enough to survive outside the womb, then the life isn't terminated.
Says who? That is the scenario I have been trying to confirm whether you and others advocate. As long as the baby is not yet delivered (transited the birth canal or separated from the mother by C-section), the mother has the right to terminate it. I'm pretty sure that is tmarie64's position, and I thought it was the same for you and others, based on the comments I've been reading.

I posted the definitions of abortion. You read them didn't you? What is your definition of abortion? Right now you are calling a live birth a "termination." Termination of a pregnancy does not necessarily mean the death of a fetus. I've already posted that I do not support the murder of live babies.
I have looked and could not find "the definitions of abortion."

I glad you don't support killing live babies, but I hope that was never the question.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what I am asking, but for some reason folks find it hard to admit what their positions in this matter.

Last try: When should a baby be entitled to protection of its life under the law?

Before anyone repeats some gray-area theory about whether we should have any laws about abortion, please consider if that same reasoning should apply to laws about rape.

Prudence6

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

Here, I've copied and pasted it.
Abortion

1. The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy.
2. A miscarriage.

From Googles dictionary online

What is the difference between a premature delivery and an abortion? Passing through the birth canal is involved with both, correct? In both, the intent is to remove the fetus. So you tell me when it is an abortion and when is inducing premature delivery not an abortion. One definition I saw from Merriam-Webster suggested the quick death of the fetus.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 am

Prudence6 wrote:
gillyflower wrote:
Prudence6 wrote:
gillyflower wrote:If the baby is healthy enough to survive outside the womb, then the life isn't terminated.
Says who? That is the scenario I have been trying to confirm whether you and others advocate. As long as the baby is not yet delivered (transited the birth canal or separated from the mother by C-section), the mother has the right to terminate it. I'm pretty sure that is tmarie64's position, and I thought it was the same for you and others, based on the comments I've been reading.

I posted the definitions of abortion. You read them didn't you? What is your definition of abortion? Right now you are calling a live birth a "termination." Termination of a pregnancy does not necessarily mean the death of a fetus. I've already posted that I do not support the murder of live babies.
I have looked and could not find "the definitions of abortion."

I glad you don't support killing live babies, but I hope that was never the question.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what I am asking, but for some reason folks find it hard to admit what their positions in this matter.

Last try: When should a baby be entitled to protection of its life under the law?

Before anyone repeats some gray-area theory about whether we should have any laws about abortion, please consider if that same reasoning should apply to laws about rape.

I don't really know what you are asking. It is hard for me to give an opinion on a fuzzy question like this I must admit.

In answer to your last try: When the baby is alive. After it is born.

Well, yes, that's why a one size fits all law about rape is difficult too.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prudence6 Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for everyone's participation.

Prudence6

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

I so want to make a smartass remark here. Smile

Ed to add: No I don't. It was nice of her to tell us she was leaving. I enjoy any thread where I have to think and I have thought during this one.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

What do laws about abortion have to do with laws about rape?

Rape is having sex with someone who has not or cannot consent....

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Prudence6 wrote:
I think it's your turn to answer my question.

As you have as of yet not answered my question specifically enough, I am going to have to respectfully decline. Besides, I did answer your question on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 pm. What I am trying to do now is to help you understand the answer.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 pm

gillyflower wrote:That's an interesting demand. Why don't you want to answer his questions?

If I was prone to speculate, I would hazard to guess that consciously or not he is aware of the fact that in any given interaction the one who is asking the questions is in control of the situation, and he came her to teach, not to learn.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 pm

All of my friends here will likely remember I had a miscarriage a couple of years ago, and I must say, Prudence, with this thread you have managed to drag me back there, after I thought I had left it, and now I am pretty much feeling like shit. Simplest thing in the world, right? Bringing another life into this world?

I feel like moving this thread where I never have to look at again. As it is, I am going to leave it, and go get me a good, stiff drink.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4