YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Organized Religion (any faith)

+3
gillyflower
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Sakhaiva
7 posters

Go down

Organized Religion (any faith) Empty Organized Religion (any faith)

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm

(Thanking a very sweet friend for this link)

After reading a doozy of a link: http://www.alternet.org/belief/149733/5_%27religious%27_organizations_you_should_hate/?page=3 I started to wonder about organized religion. I tend to like the idea of organized religion as long as A: they are not perverted by power-hungry and/or abusive humans and B: there is a nice array of religions/denominations to meet the various needs of differing people groups. However, corrupt and abusive groups have gotta go.

What do you think about Organized Religion?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Where should the moral baseline be regarding 'acceptable' groups and 'organizations you should hate'?

All thoughts are welcome!

~Sakha
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Organized Religion (any faith) Empty Re: Organized Religion (any faith)

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm not really a group person.

I don't think you should hate anyone, just not associate with them, and since I don't really associate anyone.....
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Gotta admire your independent (and logical) spirit ALL.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 pm

There is a reason my avatar is a bear....

Of course, when you're that way, it's just the way you are.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:when you're that way, it's just the way you are.

That is the foundation for how I raise my children; offering them a safe environment to develop the being they already are (as opposed to crunching them into a mold of what someone else things they should be.) It's not easy and it's not impressive... but it's honest. In any case.... ALL, you are one self-actualized bear.

I know you are not really a group person and I respect that. And it's true that a few places online fill the need to gather & share mutual growls Smile

Organized Religion (any faith) Tumblr_lfllepveCM1qz6ghlo1_r2_500
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:02 pm

I kinda went off on Marie, didn't I?

Embarassed
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:48 pm

((((ALL)))))

We be human.

Truth be told, you both had a point.

Consider, just driving in my own state I can see huge red and yellow signs near freeways reading "Jesus is Lord" and ... how would I feel if I saw "Allah is Lord" signs? Or "there is no God" signs? I would rant like no one's business!

That being said, in a perfect world, it would be very nice if people could avoid lumping all Christians into the same category. Though there are many who are... we all aren't. Smile

Organized Religion (any faith) 382472
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 pm

There are many fine Christians who are good humans and thoughtful too. That one was just insensitive.

But back to your question, I have had many wonderful and fun times in an organized religion. Like an old minister of mine said when I was moving, find a good church and when I laughed and said "Don't worry, I'll find a Presbyterian church." He stopped me and said "No, I said find a good church, one with good people in it." He didn't care what denomination it was as long as the people in it were good people and you know, that was excellent advice.

Another excellent piece of advice came from my dad who said to judge people by how they treated the weakest beings around them, be it animals or humans. So if you run into a group that makes weaker people wear funny clothes, not have as many rights as they do, take advantage of them sexually, beat them up and so on, well then they aren't good people, no matter what their religion is, organized or not.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 am

Yes, All, you were a very bad bear! Whip2 However, at least you have your head in your paw!

I totally agree with Sak.....I really wish people would stop lumping all Christians together. Not all of us are nasty and insensitive! I try to be tolerant of everyone's religions, no matter what they are. All I ask for in return is the same tolerance.

Anyway, back on topic....I like organized religion. It provides me with a sense of community. As a group we can do a lot of good....and have fun while doing it!

I have no idea what moral baseline could be used to determine acceptable vs. hateable. Obviously, those that don't hurt anybody else would be acceptable.....but hateable? I'm not sure on that one.

Last edited by Beribee on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word correction)

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am

organized religion?
depends upon the level
on the local level-I'm in favor-thats where it stops
don't believe in regional, National or worldwide organizations dictating to me what I should believe
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Davelaw wrote:organized religion?
depends upon the level
on the local level-I'm in favor-thats where it stops
don't believe in regional, National or worldwide organizations dictating to me what I should believe

Carve that in stone and put it on the wall of every local schoolhouse, post office, barbershop and bar; for it is the single most clear plan for maximizing the positive effects of religious groups, and minimizing not only the negative effects of, but the attration for negative personality types for religious groups.

Faith without politics is a blessing. Politics and faith are a danger.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:20 pm

John T Mainer wrote:

And organized religion rarely manages to escape the siren song of politics. In fact, that churchgoers tend to believe in the decency and honesty of the clergy only gives the truly venal ones free rein to play their political and even criminal games, often in stark contrast to the virtues and ideals to which they give lip service.

No. Enough of it for me.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:09 pm

gillyflower wrote:Another excellent piece of advice came from my dad who said to judge people by how they treated the weakest beings around them, be it animals or humans.

Really lovely advise Gilly; have taken it to heart, thank you!

Beribee wrote:I like organized religion. It provides me with a sense of community. As a group we can do a lot of good....and have fun while doing it!

True Beribee, when organizations are healthy and fruitful, they can not only provide a sense of community, but people can pool their resources and do amazing things... really put their beliefs into practice and make a positive change in the world. (We have too many examples of this formula working to the detriment of our society... but there really are organizations doing good things.)

DotNotInOz wrote:
John T Mainer wrote:

And organized religion rarely manages to escape the siren song of politics. In fact, that churchgoers tend to believe in the decency and honesty of the clergy only gives the truly venal ones free rein to play their political and even criminal games, often in stark contrast to the virtues and ideals to which they give lip service.

No. Enough of it for me.

Totally respect your feelings DOT. People often fail to follow their own scriptures, exchanging vows to do good for the illusion of power. I suppose I'm still inspired by folks - like Sara Miles, the Beatitude Society et al - who are just amazing... and it gives me hope that one day I'll hook up with people to be more effective with putting my faith (such as it is) into practice.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 pm

BTW, thanks for your responses everyone... this is still a topic I struggle with and am trying to work out.

Peace!
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down