YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Power"

+3
DotNotInOz
John T Mainer
Sakhaiva
7 posters

Go down

"Power" Empty "Power"

Post by Sakhaiva Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Greetings!

I was thinking about the word 'power' and wondered what it meant to each of us, according to our traditions and practices. So often ... at least in my mind... I avoid 'power' because it seems to go hand in hand with things like 'control' and 'abuse.' This is rather odd, I confess, as Christianity teaches to live life in the power you were given, and to rely upon God's power too.

In physics, power is the rate at which work is performed or energy is converted. So in this light, isn't power simply our ability and level of effectiveness regarding bringing ideas to fruition?

What does the word "power" mean to you?

Peace to all!
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

"Power" Empty Re: "Power"

Post by John T Mainer Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:28 am

Force. Potential energy.

Asatruar don't have a problem with power. The world exists, we are in it, and it is for us to make the changes necessary and beneficial for ourselves and our folk. We don't distinguish between types of power because your responsibilities are the same regardless of whether the power is mundane, arcane, economic, political, or other.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 am

A very intriguing question, Sakhaiva!

I'm going to come back to that later. Gotta expend some power on housecleaning today before we both begin oinking instead of speaking. Embarassed Wink
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm

My short answer would be the ability to enforce ones will. In most modern usages of the word, outside of the generating of energy, it is reflective of the ability of someone to do something, and how much control or influence they retain.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:Greetings!

I was thinking about the word 'power' and wondered what it meant to each of us, according to our traditions and practices. So often ... at least in my mind... I avoid 'power' because it seems to go hand in hand with things like 'control' and 'abuse.' This is rather odd, I confess, as Christianity teaches to live life in the power you were given, and to rely upon God's power too.

In physics, power is the rate at which work is performed or energy is converted. So in this light, isn't power simply our ability and level of effectiveness regarding bringing ideas to fruition?

What does the word "power" mean to you?

Peace to all!

the word often translated power in the NT; is NIKE which also means victory
other words for power in the NT are dunamis from which we get dynamite and exousia which means authority. So what kind of power are we talking about?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:33 pm

[quote="Davelaw"]
Sakhaiva wrote: So what kind of power are we talking about?

That is the million-dollar question, isn't it.

To be honest.... I do not really know.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:15 am

There is no difference. Does it matter if I smash a man's skull with my fist, with a bullet, command it to be done by a subordinate, call for it to be done from the pulpit as priest, or media as agitator, or bind the universe to my will to see it done through arcane methods.

My will ended in action, for which I bear full responsibility. There is absolutely no difference between the power of my wealth and position, my arm, my weapon, my arts, or my suggestive influence. My will, my responsibility.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:30 am

there is a difference from the Christian perspective

the power (legal authority) to become adopted is radically different from power over sin or the power to do miracles or the Spiritual Powers we are told we must do battle with
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:37 pm

John T Mainer wrote:There is no difference. Does it matter if I smash a man's skull with my fist, with a bullet, command it to be done by a subordinate, call for it to be done from the pulpit as priest, or media as agitator, or bind the universe to my will to see it done through arcane methods.

My will ended in action, for which I bear full responsibility. There is absolutely no difference between the power of my wealth and position, my arm, my weapon, my arts, or my suggestive influence. My will, my responsibility.

What John said...and beautifully said, to be sure.

All of that is consistent with my understanding of the role of power for myself as a ceremonialist.

Ahhhhh...a pleasure not to have to muster up my own thoughts on this. Wink
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:02 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:

Ahhhhh...a pleasure not to have to muster up my own thoughts on this. Wink

Oh you're not getting off that easily DOT!!! "Power" 386706
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:30 pm

I've been toying with it too, Dot.

I think that power is, as John said, 'potential energy'.

Dictators, kings, tyrants, etc. on the grand scale have the power, or potential energy, for much bad destruction and harm, as well as good. I think we tend to think of this sort of power as bad, because that's generally the side we see of it.

On a personal, individual, spiritual/mental level, power is the same thing, potential energy. I think it's important to understand what kind of 'power' you're looking for in, say, a spiritual leader. Billy Graham or a televangelist may have a lot of power regarding the minds of other people - if they say to ban Proctor and Gamble, the people will. That's a form of power. If a spiritual leader can, even subtly, make physical, mental or spiritual changes with his mind, that's a different kind of power and more impressive.

I don't think power should be avoided- Maybe it can't be avoided. If you avoid a certain kind of power (like say, political - I would never go into politics myself) perhaps your potential energy shifts into something else. Maybe we have a set amount of power, and we can cultivate it in areas that are beneficial to others rather than being controlling/dominating against others.

The same power to beat a kid, lock him in a room, control his every movement and demand unreasonable demands of him could re-manifest as the power to attempt to understand the kid, walk with him, encourage him and touch his mind in a different way.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:06 pm

What you said, TED, about redirecting one's power if that seems desirable or necessary reminded me of the uses of celibacy.

Rightly used, celibacy can be a powerful means of redirecting sexual potency and energy into other aspects of life. Many of the great mystics have been celibates. Of course, one might also speculate that they were mystics because sexual frustration made them delusional. Twisted Evil

I think mandating celibacy is counterproductive, but voluntary celibacy can be extremely effective for some people as a motivating force to excel in social service and other such endeavors. I do think there's some truth to the commonly held belief among Catholics when I was growing up as one that a priest or nun had more energy for service to others because not preoccupied with keeping the spouse happy and dealing with kids' demands and needs.

Of course, today we're left speculating how few in actuality come anywhere close to this somewhat idealistic image...

But I sometimes wonder if more people would be drawn to those vocations if celibacy were strongly encouraged but voluntary. Who knows?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:23 pm

That's one of the holdbacks that's kept me from ordination. I've tried but... well, it's hard. Hah.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Or they were celibate because they didn't bathe frequently enough and no one wanted to get close to them.

I don't think that people were meant to be celibate. Why would the gods give us something that we aren't supposed to use?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:27 pm

I notice the profound effect on my spirituality during celibacy, but it's one of my biggest weaknesses. It never lasts more than a week or two and then it's back to the same old. I agree with the conclusion of the Catholics, Dot, which is rare for me in any form. I hope in a month or two to be spending a week in a monestary with mandated celibacy- I think I can, I think I can!

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks for musing about this with me guys.

John T Mainer wrote:My will ended in action, for which I bear full responsibility. There is absolutely no difference between the power of my wealth and position, my arm, my weapon, my arts, or my suggestive influence. My will, my responsibility.

Davelaw wrote:there is a difference from the Christian perspective; the power (legal authority) to become adopted is radically different from power over sin or the power to do miracles or the Spiritual Powers we are told we must do battle with

TigersEyeDowsing wrote: I think it's important to understand what kind of 'power' you're looking for in, say, a spiritual leader. Billy Graham or a televangelist may have a lot of power regarding the minds of other people - if they say to ban Proctor and Gamble, the people will. That's a form of power. If a spiritual leader can, even subtly, make physical, mental or spiritual changes with his mind, that's a different kind of power and more impressive.

Teasing out these three ideas.... it frightens me when people use their power (John's quote) to carry out acts..... but feel justified because they believe it is the power of another (Dave's quote) .... which can wind up causing a huge, and potentially scary, reaction (TED's quote). IE, John Calvin really felt he was doing the will of God when he caused the murder of so many innocents (with his over-the-top view of predestination.)

It is currently frightening me how Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin claim to believe that their 'power' ... based upon their desires.... is actually the will of God. (The rally in DC was VERY disturbing - I even had a nightmare about it, though there is little in my power I can do to stop that avalanche of stupidity.)
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:10 pm

gillyflower wrote:Or they were celibate because they didn't bathe frequently enough and no one wanted to get close to them.

I don't think that people were meant to be celibate. Why would the gods give us something that we aren't supposed to use?

LOL!

In Yoga, celibacy is part of removing distractions. It's not for everyone. Some of the yoga poses were actually intended to promote celibacy (sukasana orig. had placement of the man's johnson between his bottom and top ankle... something of a 'willy sandwich'.)

My understanding of Brahmacharya is a bit different.... but then again, I'm no Sadhu. I don't have the energy or desire to clense my nadi's and raise my kundalini so that it reaches shushumna. I'm fine being a low vibrating, and rather earthy, mish-mosh.

Which means I'll be coming back, I suppose.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:26 pm

lol @ low vibrating. I still think about that guy saying that to you, and giggle every time.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:59 pm

LOL!
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down