YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old dogma dies hard

3 posters

Go down

Old dogma dies hard Empty Old dogma dies hard

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm sure that Jews and Roman Catholics don't have a monopoly on guilt by any means, but damnation! those two religions certainly know how to set the pattern for lifelong guilt-tripping. Hubby and I've sometimes playfully argued which one is better at instilling guilt tendencies. I say it's the RC's since they built upon their Jewish antecedents and added their own exclusively Christian touches. He says it's the Jews because they've had more millenia to perfect guilt. Wink

Hell! I can feel guilty about things that happened years ago...things that were honest mistakes (should have caught that sooner...done better...avoided it...etc.)...things I've long since been forgiven or apologized for...you name it, I can feel guilty about it.

Granted, in my case, some of this stems from co-dependent tendencies, but it really is difficult to get free of those old patterns of self-blame.

Anybody else have a religious background that fosters ridiculously beating yourself to a pulp?
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Old dogma dies hard Empty Re: Old dogma dies hard

Post by gillyflower Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I don't think that it take a religious background, Dot. Many women are raised to be people pleasers. We are taught to feel guilty if someone else feels they were slighted, or to think that we did something wrong if someone else is mean to us - we weren't nice enough! We feel guilt that we aren't pretty enough, popular enough, thin enough, popular with the boys - remember high school? We feel guilt for forgetting someone's name or birthday, for not being Superwoman, able to do it all with not a hair out of place, for not pleasing our parents or mate, for not being able to give our children everything we would like, for ruining dinner, saying something thoughtless, for not keeping in touch well enough.

So yes, I used to beat myself up all the time. Now I try very hard to move on when it comes up.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I was brought up RC.

I can't really say that I have guilt at breaking their rules, but I did do things specifically because they told me not to.

It was this last year that I discovered that I was letting them control me as much if I purposefully broke their rules, as if I was specifically following them.

Very Happy
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum