YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imbolc/Lá Fhéile Bríde

3 posters

Go down

Imbolc/Lá Fhéile Bríde Empty Imbolc/Lá Fhéile Bríde

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Today marks the traditional festival of Imbolc (for many neoPagans) and Lá Fhéile Bríde for we GRP's.

Traditionally sometime between the end of January and beginning of February there is a temporary thaw, and in the Gaelic homeland is actually marked by the appearance of spring greenery. For us this is the first stirring of spring and the first sign that the dark half of the year is coming to an end.

This day has its strongest associations with the goddess Brigid, one of the most well known pan-Gaelic (and arguably Celtic) deities. Brigid has two broader associations which tie into aspects of cosmogony; fire and wells. Brigid is for many CR's a central figure because she is associated with the hearth, the center of our homes and base for ritual activity. Lá Fhéile Bríde is a time for the aplication of blessings of protection, especially upon our homes and loved ones.

Likewise Brigid is associated with holy wells, many make pilgrimages to local water supplies and place her blessing on them for the year to come. I made the trek this morning too a local reservoir which also happens to be one of the major feeding points for the Humber river, to whom I also performed a blessing.

Often we will make Brigid's crosses, after burning the one from the previous year, and hang them in the doorway to our home. These are made by weaving together either straw or supple reeds. Brigid is also thought to wander herself the eve of Imbolc before, and so offerings, especially of ribbon, buttons and food will be left just outside our door, to both aid Brigid and receive her blessings as she passes by.

Oímelg shona daoibh!

For my fellow Polytheists and Pagans, how did you spend your Imbolg/ Candlemas?

Last edited by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Imbolc/Lá Fhéile Bríde Empty Re: Imbolc/Lá Fhéile Bríde

Post by sacrificialgoddess Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 pm

I worked. I worked 12 hours today. Today sucked. I am going to bed. Night, guys.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm

In the tradition I belong to, we call it February Eve. I had a very quiet one this year since I have been working too much and I was very tired, and besides thought I was getting sick. So I just lit some candles and read a student's lesson about February Eve and how she worked in the Stone Soup story and had a good dinner. Plus gargling with salt water! Whether it was the gods, the salt water, or good food and rest, I feel better today. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 pm

That's too bad SG, I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Gilly, I find that most celebrants of Lá Fhéile Bríde tend towards being a lot more hearth focused, and as such tend to have simple rituals or activities to mark the occasion; where Beltane, La Lunasa and Oiche Samhana tend to have a little more fan fare.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum