YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what would you call me.

5 posters

Go down

what would you call me. Empty what would you call me.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 pm

I think that this might be the right board to ask this question. As everyone here knows I don't claim to belong to any one religion. This is not to say that I'm not Spiritual. Or that I don't believe in a Supreme Being. Or in a afterlife. Because I do. In that other place that shall not be named I've said that as for me, I believe that every religion is just a different path to the Divine. That there is no one & only true religion or path. So what do you think I should call myself that would reflect my own personal beliefs? Or even should I call myself something? Other than Spiritual. scratch

Back to top Go down

what would you call me. Empty Re: what would you call me.

Post by John T Mainer Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Agnostic, one who questions, without advancing any one doctrine as the answer.

It is one of the most honest self descriptions I have ever come across, and one whose people seem to be among the most accepting, thoughtful, and balanced of all types of seekers.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Unitarian Universalist.

Your expressed beliefs would fit right into most UU churches.

UU's honor the individual's right to pursue truth in whatever form is most meaningful to that person--the "free and responsible search for truth and meaning" mentioned in the UUA's Principles.

I'd suggest visiting First UU on 21st a bit west of Rock Rd., Warlord. I think you might well find a group of congenial people there.

Check out www.uua.org to help you determine if they might meet your needs.

Any questions you have may be answered by my thread on UUism in this category or just ask here. I've been a UU for nearly 30 years myself.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:45 pm

I think Warlord would fit right at home in a UU church and frankly, right at home in a lot of New Thought churches too. Doctrine different but the style is similar. The thing about Warlord is contrary to his screename ( Very Happy ) he doesn't come storming in with fire and axes, so slight variations he'd probably be okay with.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Only problem with suggesting a New Thought church for Warlord that I'm aware of is that I don't know of one anywhere near Wichita. It's possible that's changed since we moved from there last fall, but I doubt it.

The UU church, though, is a nice one, both congregation and building.

The United Church of Christ might be workable as well, and there are several of those around the city. The UCC used to be called Congregationalists and are quite liberal in their beliefs also.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Oh. I don't remember where he's at, sorry.

In Wichita there is:

Wichita, KS
United Divine Science Church of Wichita
led by Cynthia Lippert
6505 E. Central #334, Wichita, KS 67206

and

Unity Church

led by Rev. Cynthia Lippert

2160 N. Oliver, Wichita KS 67208-2596
Services Sunday 10:00 am
Office Hours Monday-Thursday

That's just from the directory; I have no personal endorsement of these churches since I know nothing about them. I am a member of both denominations though.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:49 pm

Oh, well, yeah...I didn't consider the Unity Church. Silly me! You'd think I'd have thought of it as much as I admired and liked their former minister, the late George Gardner. He often came into the bookstore where I used to work. Such a warm and gracious man!

See? Shows what I know. I'd no idea there was a Divine Science group in Wichita.

Thanks for the info, TED.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Anytime. I'm the NT resource guru in the same fashion of TPaine being the Founders guru and you being the UU guru. Laughing

Unity is the biggest New Thought denomination we have, and like UU, it varies from church to church what kind experience you're going to get.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:13 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote: Unity is the biggest New Thought denomination we have, and like UU, it varies from church to church what kind experience you're going to get.

Yeah, that's one drawback to the essentially non-creedal churches. You can never know until you go there several Sundays whether or not the "blend" of beliefs will suit you. Some UU churches are more classically Unitarian or Universalist, often mentioning God, using the Bible and other scriptures, quite spiritually oriented. I like the UU church I've been going to here since it's a much more classical one than others I've attended. Then, you'll find UU churches that are more atheist-agnostic-humanist, oftentimes deeply concerned with social justice issues, where deities of any sort are rarely mentioned except in a historical context. Anymore, there are UU groups that are almost entirely Pagan, even to the service content being Pagan rituals.

Sometimes, I wish there were more consistency. It can be unsettling to go to a UU church that's very little like what you anticipate.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:23 pm

I agree. My Unity is in Asheville so, naturally, wild and liberal. We dance, we sing, yada yada. Go to a Unity in a conservative city and suddenly you've gone Methodist. Location, location, location. I don't mind visiting the Methodist-acting Unitics but I'm more at home in weirdoville.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:31 pm

TED, Is this related to y'all's group of churches http://www.unityhouston.org/ ?
Davelaw
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:59 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Anymore, there are UU groups that are almost entirely Pagan, even to the service content being Pagan rituals.

There are three Pagan-themed UUA congregations. Gaia Community, in KC, is the oldest. There's a congregation in Dallas that drew heavily on GC's experience when it started up. I've no idea where the third is, just that another started. I know that Gaia Community and the Texas congregation are not almost entirely Pagan, they are entirely Pagan.

The Pagan congregations tend to make it quite clear that they are Pagan-themed so folks don't show up expecting to find a traditional UU service. And there's nowhere near as much coffee involved with the Pagan services.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Davelaw wrote:TED, Is this related to y'all's group of churches http://www.unityhouston.org/ ?

Yes Dave, that's one of our churches.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:40 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:Anymore, there are UU groups that are almost entirely Pagan, even to the service content being Pagan rituals.

There are three Pagan-themed UUA congregations. Gaia Community, in KC, is the oldest. There's a congregation in Dallas that drew heavily on GC's experience when it started up. I've no idea where the third is, just that another started. I know that Gaia Community and the Texas congregation are not almost entirely Pagan, they are entirely Pagan.

The Pagan congregations tend to make it quite clear that they are Pagan-themed so folks don't show up expecting to find a traditional UU service. And there's nowhere near as much coffee involved with the Pagan services.

Ours in Asheville rotates their services between pagan, New Thought and atheistic ministers and services. That's kinda neat.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with exclusively Pagan congregations. I don't care that they promote themselves as such so people will know that. A person on limited income who happens to live closest to where that group meets then has little option other than joining CLF if s/he isn't Pagan.

To me, UUism is about providing service content that reflects the wide variety of individual beliefs, and I don't see how an exclusively-whatever UU church does that.

Luckily, the local UU church that would suit me least is also furthest from my home. I'd be chapped if the one most congenial to me were furthest away, although I'm quite aware that that can easily happen.

TED's church does what I think UU churches ought to do...namely, attempt to provide a balance that not only represents what people in the congregation believe but provides a learning experience for them every so often and maybe a new direction for belief. I just don't see how that can happen in Pagan-only congregations.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Just a mild manner of correction - I don't attend the Asheville UU church, though I am familiar with them and friendly with their ministers and congregants. I do admire what they do in their rotation of services, I think that's pretty cool. For me, UU is a little too political (and not just because I lean conservative and they're traditionally wildly liberal, I just don't like a lot of politics in my church). Also, it's my understanding that our Unity churches are much more "heartfelt" and loving compared to the UU services, so us mushy let-me-hug-you-again-ers (damn hippies) stick more to Unity.

TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 pm

The Pagan congregations aren't the only UUA churches in the area, so the point is moot. They are UU because they embrace the UU principles and their services try to reflect the vast array of Pagan religions that are represented. There is likely greater diversity in belief in any of the Pagan congregations than in any traditional congregation.

I'll assume you'd object just as strongly to the only UUA congregation in an area being heavily Christian, because any humanist/agnostic/etc. interested in attending a UU church would also be relegated to CLF.
AutumnalTone
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:The Pagan congregations aren't the only UUA churches in the area, so the point is moot.

Yes, I realize those are all cities large enough to have several UU churches. Assuming that a person is mobile, you can shop around and probably find a church that you like or that is at least tolerable...but maybe not very or even at all convenient.

They are UU because they embrace the UU principles and their services try to reflect the vast array of Pagan religions that are represented.

Still makes them exclusively Pagan. And you're going to have to demonstrate how being such provides much inspiration, encouragement or support for a UU Christian, Buddhist, Jew, atheist...or even for a classical Unitarian or Universalist who is a monotheist.

There is likely greater diversity in belief in any of the Pagan congregations than in any traditional congregation.

Perhaps, considering the wide range of variations within the umbrella of Paganism. Once again, though, exclusivity is not diversity in any meaningful sense.

I'll assume you'd object just as strongly to the only UUA congregation in an area being heavily Christian, because any humanist/agnostic/etc. interested in attending a UU church would also be relegated to CLF.

Absolutely. As I said, I don't feel that focusing upon one body of beliefs, whatever it may be, and minimizing or excluding others is what I think UUism ought to do. I acknowledge, however, that each congregation establishes the "flavor" of its service content, and thus such exclusivity occurs. But that it does can make being a UU difficult or even unpleasant for those whose beliefs aren't represented. That's especially so in churches where open condemnation of specific beliefs occurs, which sadly does happen.

This is something that I think makes UUism less appealing to potential converts if the only UU church within a reasonable distance turns out to be heavily weighted toward a particular body of beliefs--or lack of belief--and makes little or no attempt toward balance. CLF is an alternative, but for someone wanting fellowship, it's somewhat indirect although better than none at all.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down