YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of Earth

+4
gillyflower
John T Mainer
allthegoodnamesweretaken
DiminishingInsanity
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Future of Earth Empty The Future of Earth

Post by DiminishingInsanity Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:15 am

As the earth's temperature slowly increases and our supply of oil slowly diminishes I sometimes wonder what our future will look like. I still probably have about another 40 or so years on this planet and would not like to see society destroy itself before I go.

I just recently read an article that described how our ice caps are melting at a much faster rate than scientists had thought possible. Apparently, as the ice breaks apart it is releasing vast stores of methane gas into the atmosphere. Methane gas is at least 20 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Furthermore, the more the ice breaks apart the less sun is reflected back into space. These types of positive feedback loops are what could transform this planet into an entirely different place before my time is up.

The planet Venus is a great example of global warming gone haywire. It is the hottest planet in our solar system. It is even hotter than Mercury despite being much farther away from the sun. All this because too much carbon dioxide got released into the atmosphere.

So, what can we do about it? Is earth destined to be the next Venus? I drive a hybrid, I use florescent bulbs, and I use energy efficient appliances. I also know that such adjustments in lifestyle are not nearly enough. What really can we do about it?
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

The Future of Earth Empty Re: The Future of Earth

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 am

No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.

We are sitting around a large lake and trying to figure out how we got here.

Anyway, don't worry too much. The earth will be just fine. It's people that will have a problem.

What aspects of this society are you so intent on keeping around?
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm

We are the most adaptable species in the history of the earth, and this little marble has been around. We look at the last century and thing; thus is the natural state of the earth. The average person is so far removed from an understanding of the basic sciences that it is really not profitable to talk to most of them.

The earth is a) a self buffering semi-closed systme (meaning we receive energy form the sun, but are otherwise self contained). b) in a constant state of change. Geology, archaeology, biology can all tell you the same story if you care to look, the earth goes through hot and cold periods. It sucks when it shifts, because armed people don't starve when they have other choices.

Thus is has always been, thus it will always be. We have been around a few hundred thousand years, and are unlikely to make it to the point where sweet golden Sunna (our sun) is eaten by Skoll and rises again as Surt (a prosaic way our ancestors described the transformation of our sun into a red giant that will burn away our atmosphere and leave us an airless irradiated ball spinning lifeless and alone in the dark around a hard little dark pulsar). From fire and ice the world was born, but we weren't there, in fire and ice it will die, and we would be damned lucky to make it that far. Billions of years is a lot to ask on this planet, and from a bunch of monkeys who play with the kinds of toys we do.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:35 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.

We are sitting around a large lake and trying to figure out how we got here.

Anyway, don't worry too much. The earth will be just fine. It's people that will have a problem.
It's the future of the people that causes me to worry. The earth has been around for billions of years. I just don't want it to turn into Venus while we are here.

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:What aspects of this society are you so intent on keeping around?
Well, ACIM for starters Very Happy It's more about what aspects of society I would like to see go. It seems like nothing gets done without political will, and the ones that are up for election do not inspire much confidence in me.

Ultimately politicians are influenced by the will of the people, but are they really? Our presidents routinely break their campaign promises with impunity. So what power do the people really have?

I remember I voted for George W Bush the first time around because I believed his lies. The second time around I voted for Kerry not because I wanted him to win, but because I did not want Bush to win again, and then he won again and broke more of his promises.

I drive a hybrid. I uses florescent bulbs. I use energy star appliances. I also know that such changes are not nearly enough. The people have been disenfranchised in a most un-American like way. I'm against violence. It would be foolish to fight our military anyway, so what really can we do?
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Ah. In my opinion futility has risen it's head once more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:53 pm

"DiminishingInsanity"

I drive a hybrid. I uses florescent bulbs. I use energy star appliances. I also know that such changes are not nearly enough. The people have been disenfranchised in a most un-American like way. I'm against violence. It would be foolish to fight our military anyway, so what really can we do?[/size][/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one quick question diminshed. Have you ever served in any of our armed forces or are you one of those who, like former V.P. Dick Cheney who had ( his words, not mine ) more important things to do instead of voluntarily doing your part in serving our Country. Nam Veterans like myself wonder about those who refuse to serve. About those who prefer to send others to shed their blood & lives defending our Country. I for one am tired of those who give platitude But otherwise are too selfish & busy to serve. I for one have seen too many of my Brothers & Sisters shedding their blood & giving their lives so that Cowards can spout off. About others who prefer that we give our blood & lives just so that they can afford the fruits of our sacrifices & not have to sacrifice anything of their own. As the saying goes. FREEDOM ISN'T FREE. IT'S BOURNE OUT BY THE SACRIFICES & BLOOD OF OUR MILITARY VERTERANS. BOTH PAST & PRESENT.

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

I served 4 years in the Air Force. At the time I figured it was the patriotic thing to do. I also see no reason why somebody nowadays should volunteer themselves unless they come from such a disadvantaged situation that military life might actually be considered a step up for them.

Today the wars have become so stupid and corrupt that I sometimes wonder why the soldiers don't all refuse to go. I could ask why they shed their blood needlessly to ensure the politicians and oil companies stay rich. If it were my call I'd call all our soldiers home and protect the borders of our own nation. Generally I stay out of politics. Too much forgiveness is required.

Anyway, if there is a group of people whom you love to hate then consider forgiving them. Some of the greatest Americans in history never served a day in the military. The choice that's afforded the citizens is one of the things that make this country great and remains one of the last few freedoms that we still have. In any case, it will help to ease your own suffering. The burden of hate is a heavy one ... and it's not like there is anything you can do about it anyway.
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:01 pm

You are preaching again....

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 pm

We are all entitled to our opinion. It's called free speech. If you disagree that's fine Very Happy
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Ban me if you like. I won't be back much anyway ...

Not my crowd ...
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 pm

No, I really don't think it is. We like discussion, rather than being preached at.

Haven't you been able to find a forum where they like to read your lessons?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Just because we disagree, you think we are going to ban you?

Man, you need to work on your social skills.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:50 pm

gillyflower wrote:No, I really don't think it is. We like discussion, rather than being preached at.

I simply gave my opinion in regards to warlordofks post. If he didn't want my opinion he shouldn't have asked for it. I didn't try to convert him. I didn't threaten him with hell. I didn't make any personal attacks. I didn't say that he was wrong or that I was right. I think the word "preach" is what you use to excuse your bias' towards any opinion that you don't share. You're the admin so apparently you have that power. Know that my opinion doesn't change based on the whims of those on a "public" forum. I only listen to sound and unbiased discussions.

If you are interested in having a more balanced conversation chat with me over at spiritual forum . org or open enlightenment . com where my user name is SubsidingInsanity to name a few. I have to say this is the most biased forum I've been on in a while. Since what I say isn't likely to change I see no point in me being here.

Last edited by DiminishingInsanity on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Just because we disagree, you think we are going to ban you?

I would expect that from you. You encourage personal attacks and change my posts when I protest. Power to you. Put it to good use. I won't play your game, but I love you anyway. Very Happy
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 pm

DiminishingInsanity wrote:I served 4 years in the Air Force. At the time I figured it was the patriotic thing to do. I also see no reason why somebody nowadays should volunteer themselves unless they come from such a disadvantaged situation that military life might actually be considered a step up for them.

Today the wars have become so stupid and corrupt that I sometimes wonder why the soldiers don't all refuse to go. I could ask why they shed their blood needlessly to ensure the politicians and oil companies stay rich. If it were my call I'd call all our soldiers home and protect the borders of our own nation. Generally I stay out of politics. Too much forgiveness is required.

Anyway, if there is a group of people whom you love to hate then consider forgiving them. Some of the greatest Americans in history never served a day in the military. The choice that's afforded the citizens is one of the things that make this country great and remains one of the last few freedoms that we still have. In any case, it will help to ease your own suffering. The burden of hate is a heavy one ... and it's not like there is anything you can do about it anyway.

At least you served, so back then at least you had something to contribute.

War is waste written large, it is Fenris offleash and ever hungry, and it always was. Sometimes it needs to be done, but don't sh*t yourself; it is as clean as a nightmare in an abbatoir, and that is on a good day.

You cannot defend your borders. If that is where you chose to fight, it will be in your burning home, with rifle braced on your rotting child. I would chose to settle the matter long before it reached my border, but hat is just me.

Choosing not to serve does not make one great. Serving is not the only path to worth, but not serving itself has no intrinsic worth at all. There are many ways to worth that do not require military service, but few indeed allow one to make such a large offering of ones own self for the benefit of others.

Airforce goes big for hate do they? You seem fixated on the subject. Honestly the army spent a lot of time making sure I was one of the better killers on this planet, and I tried my skills against some of the best out there. I never did see the need to hate anybody. Gets in the way of soldiering. Not a lot of room for hate; the job is tough enough as it is without loading extra baggage on your back.

Voting is one duty of a citizen, serving the military is another. Far too few bother with either, and one of them costs you less effort than a bowel movement.

Do you really hold yourself so powerless to change the world. I find that absolutely bizarre. I just came from a gathering of our Kindred, and every single man, woman, and child there absolutely knew they had not only the power but responsibility to change the world. Half of us were current service military, the same half had each personally saved a life in civilian life inside the last month. ACIM seems oddly powerless if you do not feel equal to the same. My own group of Asatruar are not unusual in our abilities or training. Perhaps you need to spend less time worrying about hatred and forgiveness and get back to work at your own life. Change is yours to make, but it will not make itself.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:05 pm

DiminishingInsanity wrote:I served 4 years in the Air Force. At the time I figured it was the patriotic thing to do. I also see no reason why somebody nowadays should volunteer themselves unless they come from such a disadvantaged situation that military life might actually be considered a step up for them.

At least you served, so back then at least you had something to contribute.

War is waste written large, it is Fenris offleash and ever hungry, and it always was. Sometimes it needs to be done, but don't sh*t yourself; it is as clean as a nightmare in an abbatoir, and that is on a good day.

You cannot defend your borders. If that is where you chose to fight, it will be in your burning home, with rifle braced on your rotting child. I would chose to settle the matter long before it reached my border, but hat is just me.

Choosing not to serve does not make one great. Serving is not the only path to worth, but not serving itself has no intrinsic worth at all. There are many ways to worth that do not require military service, but few indeed allow one to make such a large offering of ones own self for the benefit of others.

Airforce goes big for hate do they? You seem fixated on the subject. Honestly the army spent a lot of time making sure I was one of the better killers on this planet, and I tried my skills against some of the best out there. I never did see the need to hate anybody. Gets in the way of soldiering. Not a lot of room for hate; the job is tough enough as it is without loading extra baggage on your back.

Voting is one duty of a citizen, serving the military is another. Far too few bother with either, and one of them costs you less effort than a bowel movement.

Do you really hold yourself so powerless to change the world? You say "not that there is anything you can do about it anyway". I find that absolutely bizarre. I just came from a gathering of our Kindred, and every single man, woman, and child there absolutely knew they had not only the power but responsibility to change the world. Half of us were current service military, the same half had each personally saved a life in civilian life inside the last month. ACIM seems oddly powerless if you do not feel equal to the same. My own group of Asatruar are not unusual in our abilities or training. Perhaps you need to spend less time worrying about hatred and forgiveness and get back to work at your own life. Change is yours to make, but it will not make itself.

John T Mainer

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:04 pm

DiminishingInsanity wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Just because we disagree, you think we are going to ban you?

I would expect that from you. You encourage personal attacks and change my posts when I protest. Power to you. Put it to good use. I won't play your game, but I love you anyway. Very Happy

You want to play with the big kids, little man?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 pm

gillyflower wrote:No, I really don't think it is. We like discussion, rather than being preached at.

I simply gave my opinion in regards to warlordofks post. If he didn't want my opinion he shouldn't have asked for it. I didn't try to convert him. I didn't threaten him with hell. I didn't make any personal attacks. I didn't say that he was wrong or that I was right. I think the word "preach" is what you use to excuse your bias' towards any opinion that you don't share. You're the admin so apparently you have that power. Know that my opinion doesn't change based on the whims of those on a "public" forum. I only listen to sound and unbiased discussions.

If you are interested in having a more balanced conversation chat with me over at spiritual forum . org or open enlightenment . com where my user name is SubsidingInsanity to name a few. I have to say this is the most biased forum I've been on in a while. Since what I say isn't likely to change I see no point in me being here.

Fine. Bye

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

You want to play with the big kids, little man?
No, he doesn't. He already said he was leaving.... how many times does that make it?

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DiminishingInsanity Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 am

John T Mainer wrote: At least you served, so back then at least you had something to contribute.

Back in the days of Hitler I could see a purpose for it. Hitler needed to be stopped. Nowadays there's just too much BS around it.

John T Mainer wrote:You cannot defend your borders. If that is where you chose to fight, it will be in your burning home, with rifle braced on your rotting child. I would chose to settle the matter long before it reached my border, but hat is just me.
When was the last time this country defended it's borders? As we speak there are thousands crossing illegally into this country. Are they all down on their luck folks looking for a better life? Probably not. Sometimes I wonder whether the politicians want there to be another large terrorist attack so they can further deprive us of our liberties. It wouldn't surprise me ... of course that's just a conspiracy theory.

John T Mainer wrote:Choosing not to serve does not make one great. Serving is not the only path to worth, but not serving itself has no intrinsic worth at all. There are many ways to worth that do not require military service, but few indeed allow one to make such a large offering of ones own self for the benefit of others.
For the record I do think highly of our military folks. Having served really opened my eyes to how the typical GI sees things.

John T Mainer wrote:Airforce goes big for hate do they? You seem fixated on the subject. Honestly the army spent a lot of time making sure I was one of the better killers on this planet, and I tried my skills against some of the best out there.
In the AF the hate mongering is mostly limited to training instructors and the special forces. The folks I worked with are pretty similar to the folks I work with now. I don't really fixate on hate. To do so would be to give it power. I may try to dispel it when detected, but that's prone to backfiring ... Maybe one day I'll perfect my approach.

John T Mainer wrote:I never did see the need to hate anybody. Gets in the way of soldiering. Not a lot of room for hate; the job is tough enough as it is without loading extra baggage on your back.
I'm glad to hear that. Hate is blinding. It makes smart people do stupid things.

John T Mainer wrote:Voting is one duty of a citizen, serving the military is another. Far too few bother with either, and one of them costs you less effort than a bowel movement.
Ron Paul makes the most sense to me, but he keeps withdrawing from election.

John T Mainer wrote:Do you really hold yourself so powerless to change the world. I find that absolutely bizarre.
Very Happy

John T Mainer wrote:I just came from a gathering of our Kindred, and every single man, woman, and child there absolutely knew they had not only the power but responsibility to change the world. Half of us were current service military, the same half had each personally saved a life in civilian life inside the last month.
Asatru's emphasis on family is admirable. Most of mine live in Germany. I never see them. I sometimes envy those who have big families that they stay close to.

John T Mainer wrote:ACIM seems oddly powerless if you do not feel equal to the same. My own group of Asatruar are not unusual in our abilities or training. Perhaps you need to spend less time worrying about hatred and forgiveness and get back to work at your own life. Change is yours to make, but it will not make itself.
You have the wrong idea about what ACIM teaches. Forgiving and releasing the hate and thereby increasing the love in one's life is a positive change. Everywhere I look people are in need of it whether they realize it or not. I never attempt to change anybody just suggest that there may be another way.

ACIM teaches not to try to change the world, but rather to change your interpretation of the world. Why? Because only by healing yourself can you hope to heal the world. The world already has too many hurting people who are trying to fix other people's problems. Usually they make it worse. It's perfectly possible to serve in the military and practice ACIM at the same time. As a matter of fact there are some who do just that. It's all about what's going on in your mind.

Have you ever heard of Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov? In 1983 under the Reagan administration at the height of our military buildup the Soviets believed that we were preparing to attack them. On September 26 due to a software glitch Russian computers interpreted sunlight bouncing off the tops of clouds as incoming American missiles. The Soviets were within 5 minutes of ordering an all out attack. If they had every major city in both Russia and America would have been destroyed. 100's of millions gone in a flash.

Well, Colonel Petrov said "No, the computers are wrong." He defied protocol and aborted the attack. For his heroism he was rewarded by being forced out of the military by those who were insane enough to have ordered the attack. We all owe our lives to the courageous heroism of Col Petrov and nobody has heard of him. At the moment of truth he chose love over hate. He refused to let hate and fear dictate his actions. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.
DiminishingInsanity
DiminishingInsanity

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 am

What a load of crap. I think people should try to change the world. Feeding a hungry man may not change your world but it will change his world. Taking in a homeless dog, will change his world.

Petrov realized that something was amiss even if he couldn't put his finger on it. He acted on his gut feeling and was right. If he was relieved of his command, it is because he superiors weren't certain that he acted because of a gut feeling that something was "off" or because when push came to shove he lost his nerve and couldn't pull the trigger.

gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

So Diminished. Your prejudice is showing when you talk about people coming over here illegally in order to seek & have a better life. Being half Spanish I've more than seen prejudice my whole life. I've been labled everything from being a homosexual as a child all because I had a serious speech defect, of being a half breed, of being a n***** lover because of my speaking out in favor of equal rights, of being an atheist because of my turning away from Christianity, of being told that the reason my MOTHER died from Cancer & that my sister was murdered was because 1. I turned away from Christianity & so I was being punished. 2. Because my Mother & Sister were wetbacks & most likely illegals. Oh there was more said. With the above only being some of the nicer things said. So if the heat is getting to you, stay out of our kitchen. Some of us have seen more of life, it's beauty as well as it's ugliness than I think you have or ever will have seen. Of course on this last part/sentence I could be wrong. And BTW. As far as for Col. Petrov. You aren't the only one to know about him. There are millions who know about his actions. Seems like once again you're ignoring our hero's while praising other countries heros. The more you speak the clearer your words & intentions become.

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I didn't respond to this initially because I thought you said that you were going to be gone. I kinda figured why waste the energy?

I remember I voted for George W Bush the first time around because I believed his lies. The second time around I voted for Kerry not because I wanted him to win, but because I did not want Bush to win again, and then he won again and broke more of his promises.

I only vote in local elections. Whether the person I want wins or not is swallowed up in the miasma that is national elections, so why bother. My state will go in a landslide to red anyway.

I drive a hybrid.

I drive an SUV. I refuse to drive a little tin can that will get thrown around on the interstate, or spend 60 grand for a vehicle.

I uses florescent bulbs.

If you don't turn them on, incandescent and florescent us the same amount of energy. Without the mercury.

I use energy star appliances.

If they were cheaper, I have them.

I also know that such changes are not nearly enough.

Enough for what?

The people have been disenfranchised in a most un-American like way.

I don't know about your area, but I think the people have been disenfranchised in a very American way. I know I have. I have got to a point where I will tell all politicians who promise to make my life better by offering this or that program to shove it. I am going to do it myself. I am responsible for the direction of my life. I am responsible for my own actions. Not the government. I don't need a nanny state that takes care of my every concern from birth to death. I'll take control of my own health, what car I drive, where I live, how much I drink, how many kids I have, what technology I get or don't. I may fail miserably, but I'll fail on my own.

That, to me, seems very American.

I'm against violence.

I'm not.

It would be foolish to fight our military anyway, so what really can we do?

At this juncture I do not forsee a scenario where we would fight our military.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:49 pm

DI,

I was raised with the idea that we should focus on our defending our borders and not fight wars on foreign soil. I have since seen that this is a short sighted mindset.

By fighting wars on foreign soil we are defending our borders.

Not fighting is not an option. One does not pluck a string without it vibrating. I would rather fight on foreign soil than fight at home.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:33 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:DI,

I was raised with the idea that we should focus on our defending our borders and not fight wars on foreign soil. I have since seen that this is a short sighted mindset.

By fighting wars on foreign soil we are defending our borders.

Not fighting is not an option. One does not pluck a string without it vibrating. I would rather fight on foreign soil than fight at home.

Amen All my friend, Amen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next