YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quality Redaction?

3 posters

Go down

Quality Redaction? Empty Quality Redaction?

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm reposting this here. I originally posted in on bent, but since I know at least two Heathens regularly post here, may be able to get a more immediate response.

I recently acquired a copy of "Penguin's Book of Norse Myths", by Kevin Crossley-Holland. The work covers the usual gambit of the younger and elder eddas, as well as a number of other sources. The tales contained within are for the most part redactions: The author has used a number of sources containing elements of a myth, and has combined them into a single narrative (at least for the most part). What I find useful about these retellings, aside from there readability, is that each chapter is followed by a note, where the author explains which versions he has used, and why he did so. Along with a bit more information on (possible) ritual and religious symbolism/function of the various gods and goddesses who feature in the stories, the book seems to be a very useful introduction into the main corpus of Icelandic/Germainc mythology.

I do recognize that for the average Asatru or Heathen that single source/direct translations are going to be more useful for their purposes, this much is something as a GRP I share. Having said that I also recognize that such versions are not the most accessible, nor the most fluid versions of the tales. This is where I find the usefulness of such collections/redactions to be the most apparent; as entertaining stories, coupled with a little context to better understand and appreciate them.

Has anyone read this particular work? Are there other redactions you would recommend?

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Quality Redaction? Empty Re: Quality Redaction?

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 pm

I actually have that one. I find it both entertaining, and informative. It's like, for the solo practitioner, getting someone else's "take" on the original stories. He'll pick up aspects that you might miss, and vice versa.

The modern mind is more accustomed to a novel type format, and he definitely provides that.

It might actually be an easier introduction than trying to wade through the direct translations, or going to the trouble of learning old norse. (which I haven't done because I have other things to do)

I'm not familiar with anything like it though. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I don't know about it.
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15 pm

I appreciate the response. I have read some of the other texts in more direct translations, and so often in prose form. The havamal, for instance, I have a fairly literal translation into english, but again the readability is reduced.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm

I will have to pick that one up.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 pm

I have done the majority of my reading of the originals on line.
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/index.htm

Barnes and Nobles in the asshole of the bible belt seem not to want to carry them.

Still, they have the icelandinc sagas and Kevin Crossely Hollands......
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum