YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome, Atheists!

+10
kard9.0
OmarKhayyam
agnosticspirit
allthegoodnamesweretaken
TigersEyeDowsing
DotNotInOz
Corrigan37
MaineCaptain
wontgetfooledagain
sacrificialgoddess
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welcome, Atheists! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome, Atheists!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Wow, Rob! Your own site.... But with all of the Christians, Pagans, LOAer's, and Unitarians about, you must feel like "an atheist in church" Disco

Looks good in here. Peep Wall I just hope that the property value doesn't drop before you can get some other atheists to move in..... Cool Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:49 pm

I knew you were a rascal Razz Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:05 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Um, Do atheists want to talk to me? Or am I a pariah? Welcome, Atheists! - Page 2 Icon_razz

This atheist likes pagans, because pagans (the ones I know personally) do not proselytize. Then again, this atheist likes ANY theists who do not proselytize.

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 pm

HappyKweer wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Um, Do atheists want to talk to me? Or am I a pariah? Welcome, Atheists! - Page 2 Icon_razz

This atheist likes pagans, because pagans (the ones I know personally) do not proselytize. Then again, this atheist likes ANY theists who do not proselytize.

Well Happy. I'm not one of those who try to convert anyone. Yes, I have my own personal Spiritual belief. But as I've said many times over. None of us are really going to know if there's a life after this one or if this is the only life we'll have. Until after we die. So I'm willing to accept anyone as a friend no matter what their belief system or even if like you & others here are atheists. For all I know you could be right. I personally think differently. But that doesn't make my belief right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metis Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm a non-theist-- does that count? Welcome, Atheists! - Page 2 Icon_neutral
Metis
Metis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 pm

No doubt but that you qualify, Metis, especially since the prefix "a" means "not" as does the prefix "non."

You say toe-MAH-toe, they say toe-MAY-toe. Same thing.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly111 Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Hello. Just a noob here. I clicked on this forum first cuz I'm not exactly sure what the definition of atheist is. I've gotten a lot of people saying that atheists don't believe in any sort of spirituality, and I've gotten some who say that they just don't believe in God, so....? lol, just wondering if someone could answer my question. ^^
Firefly111
Firefly111

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm

The definition I've heard most often from atheists is that they do not believe in gods of any sort. Most I've encountered do not go further and say that no gods can possibly exist; however, a good many of those who do will add that they feel the existence of gods is unlikely since no one has yet produced any credible evidence supporting such existence.

You'll encounter people who break it down further and refer to those who do not believe in gods and say it's highly unlikely any exist as "hardcore atheists."

The majority of such whom I know are nevertheless open to the possibility, remote though it may seem to them personally, that evidence supporting the existence of deities might eventually be discovered.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Firefly! To me, an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any god or spirituality whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

I guess it means different things to different people. There are spiritual atheists out there. To me the term strikes a more skeptical tone.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Oh, and somewhat after the fact--welcome to YS forum, Firefly!
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly111 Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks! I asked the same thing on the TAPS website, but the answer I got was a little confusing. I've been generalized as an atheist before, but I haven't ever wanted to call myself that cuz I just never knew the exact definition.
Firefly111
Firefly111

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly111 Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Oh, wow. Checked out the wikipedia page with the atheist definition. I'm amazed at the percentage of atheist/nonreligious/etc people in other countries. It's kind of weird how that works when America is the country where free belief is so important.
Firefly111
Firefly111

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 pm

I can pretty well relate to your being called one which is part of the reason why I still refer to myself as a Unitarian Universalist even though I've quit associating with them. I was an official one of those for close to 30 years, so I figure it's not cheating too much to claim the label still.

For some people, anyone who isn't of their specific brand of religion is an atheist or might as well be, especially if you don't wear an "I-heart-Jesus, deedy I do" t-shirt. (Okay, that's not nice, I admit, but I've sure met a bunch of such people.)

Yeah, people in the other industrialized countries often think we're pretty peculiar for that reason. Frankly, even I think we're strange in that regard.

DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Here is how I had it explained.

An atheist is someone who does not have a theology. A-without. Theist-Someone who subscribes to a theology.

Now within that, you can have "hard" atheists that actively don't believe in god/dess/es, and "soft" atheists that don't really care if there is or not.

Now, to muddy the waters even more, there are "agnostics", which is those who claim to have a lack of knowledge about supernatural events. There can be agnostic theists who don't know, but believe anyway, and there can be agnostic atheists who don't know, and for that reason don't believe.

Honestly there are a lot of things here. The pool is deep.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Firefly. Welcome to this board & this site. We're a bunch of crazies here. Except that I'm the only sane one. Getting serious. You'll find that we don't care what you believe, spiritually or otherwise. We respect everyones right to what they believe. Don't get me wrong. You'll find many here that'll ask you serious questions. But the one thing you won't find is disrespect or someone making fun of you. ( other that my crazy attempts at humor LMAO! )

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 am

Hi, firefly.

Labels ... who needs them? Just be you, and welcome aboard.

Last edited by ZenYen on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly111 Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Well, I still think it's confusing, but that's fine. lol I think I get it a little more than I did before. It sounds like there are different types of atheists, and that helps when I understand that much. It's just when someone says they're an atheist, sometimes I wonder what exactly they mean since they don't specify. As for me, I believe in some kind of spirituality, but I'm not really making a big deal out it since I'm not dead yet, lol. It's nice to wonder about it, like you wonder about the universe (I don't know if any of you do that, but I do sometimes) Smile
Firefly111
Firefly111

Back to top Go down

Post by Firefly111 Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Oh, and thanks for more welcomes! I forgot to say that. ^^
Firefly111
Firefly111

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 am

So why am I the only one to have started a thread in this section? I thought we had atheists on this board?

Come on people, get your atheist friends over here. Have them start threads! We need to get this discussion going!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 am

I tried, but the ones I know appear to have decided to stick with B-net or the Corner. Oh, well...go figger.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum