YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How delightful to live in state-sponsored anti-abortion Missouri!

Go down

How delightful to live in state-sponsored anti-abortion Missouri! Empty How delightful to live in state-sponsored anti-abortion Missouri!

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Well, I certainly feel gratified to live in such an openminded state where the U.S. Constitution is consistently upheld by state government.

A bill just became law which mandates a state-financed brochure which states unequivocally that human life begins at conception.

Heard about this on NPR local news this morning and thought some of you might appreciate the commentator's views which stated in part:

It occurs to me that all Holy Wars have the same underlying cause: orthodoxy. It’s root meaning is “true or right doctrine.” Orthodoxy is not exclusive to any particular religion. It does not even have to do with religion at all. Orthodoxy is more a conviction, an unflinching way to view the world: “I am right and you are wrong. There is nothing to discuss. You cannot produce any so-called facts, information, or evidence that will shake me from my certainty. I have the truth and you do not. Anyone who challenges my correctness must be evil.”

Last month Governor Nixon stood aside and allowed a piece of anti-abortion legislation to become law. Many observers will try and parse the political meaning of his very vocal inaction, but I am more concerned about the bill’s required, state-produced brochure proclaiming: "The life of each human being begins at conception.”

We now have a state sponsored orthodoxy. In this bill, The State of Missouri has engaged in the open endorsement and sponsorship of one religious doctrine over another. It matters not how many denominations in our state accept that doctrine as written. It matters not how few religious communities proclaim an alternative theological point of view. What truly matters is that a terrible precedent has been set. Faith communities thrive in our state and our country because none of them makes the law. All of them are free to teach and declare their unique vision of what is good and what is evil. One of the purposes of the power of the veto invested in the Governor is to provide an early and relatively inexpensive means by which damaged legislation which is unconstitutional on its face, can be set aside and returned to the legislature for repair.

This bit of orthodox religious doctrine masquerading as an established scientific fact is destined for review by higher courts. I am appalled by the prospect of State legal officials - whose licensure by the state requires their sworn oath to defend the constitution - defending a gross violation of one of its most precious doctrines, the separation of church and state.--Rabbi Mark Shook

Source: St. Louis Public Radio Commentaries
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down