YourSpirituality.net Spiritual Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evolution not scientific

+17
silverswhispers
TPaine
Jamie
Davelaw
TigersEyeDowsing
weirdfaery
AutumnalTone
Sakhaiva
allthegoodnamesweretaken
John T Mainer
sacrificialgoddess
gillyflower
tmarie64
DotNotInOz
Ebon
ZenYen
forest
21 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Evolution not scientific Empty Evolution not scientific

Post by forest Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 pm

I personally do not believe in evolution. I think the theory has alot of faults it also can not be backed up with Science, as Science is testable and observable..

Evolution is not testable or observable we can not witness or test it, the theory has alot of errors and unsolved questions..

What are other peoples opinions on evolution?

forest

Back to top Go down

Evolution not scientific Empty Re: Evolution not scientific

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:55 am

I'm sorry, but you've already demonstrated that you do not know enough about this topic to have a serious discussion of it.

Saying that science does not back the theory of evolution is patently ridiculous.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by forest Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 am

I'm sorry, but you've already demonstrated that you do not know enough about this topic to have a serious discussion of it.

Sorry i would say the same about you for posting the above comment.

Obviously you do not know the definition of the word Science.

Science is defined as "Knowledge from observation" which has to be testable and observable.

Science is Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.

Nobody has ever observed evolution happening. Nobody.

Nobody has ever experienced Evolution.

Nobody has ever tested evolution.

Science is Science, Evolution is not Science.

forest

Back to top Go down

Post by forest Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 am

Religion: Soto Zen Buddhism

Btw Zen Buddhists do not believe in evolution as the theory of evolution is a dualistic theory. Buddhism (every school) as far as i know is non-dualistic. So you may want to study your religion more.

forest

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 am

I'm not trying to be rude, but you've again demonstrated my point that you are not prepared to discuss this topic from an informed vantage.

Science is a method, based on observation, hypothesis, testing the hypothesis, testing it again, forming new hypotheses to explain observations, making predictions based on hypotheses and then seeing if such predictions are true, abandoning hypotheses that do not stand up to evidence, etc.

The theory of evolution has passed every test with flying colors. It is not the least little bit unscientific.

May I ask where you get your notions about the theory of evolution?
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:06 am

forest wrote:
Religion: Soto Zen Buddhism

Btw Zen Buddhists do not believe in evolution as the theory of evolution is a dualistic theory. Buddhism (every school) as far as i know is non-dualistic. So you may want to study your religion more.

Now you're going to tell me about my own religion? Do you have any kind of an actual education at all? Are you 12 years old?
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:21 am

Evolution is not testable or observable? Tell that to Richard Lenski... Evolution can be and has been observed numerous times at the bacterial level. The only reason we can't observe it at a higher level is that it takes too bloody long. Oh, there's also the problem of the entire fossil record...
Ebon
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 am

Ebon wrote:Evolution is not testable or observable? Tell that to Richard Lenski... Evolution can be and has been observed numerous times at the bacterial level. The only reason we can't observe it at a higher level is that it takes too bloody long. Oh, there's also the problem of the entire fossil record...

That, of course, would be the observable fossil record, the one that consistently shows evolution to be true no matter where fossils are found. The one that is so consistent that scientists have successfully predicted the existence of creatures with specific features in specific time periods, and then later found them right where they expected them to be. The fossil record with incredible antiquity backed by findings in geology and astronomy. The fossil record that leads to a hypothesis, that can be tested by further fossil discoveries and by making predictions like the one I mentioned.

And the fossil record is only the teensiest, tiniest bit of the mountain of evidence that supports the theory of evolution.

And you are right, evolution can be observed in populations that go through many generations in rapid fashion.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:57 am

Ditto what ZenYen and Ebon said. Couldn't say it better myself.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:23 am

Evolution is not science because we can't see it???? What about all the fossils found?

OMG! I'll just have to follow Dot's lead and say Ditto what Zenyen and Ebon said.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it... What kind of rude ass takes it upon themselves to tell someone ELSE what their religion does or does not follow? Esp. one who does not have the balls to state one's own religion?
Very rude... Bad first impression.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:56 am

Forest is there a reason that you capitalize the word "science?" The reason that I ask is that that there are some Evangelical branches that are trying to suggest that "science" is a religion and one either believes in their version of Christianity or science and that they are incompatible beliefs.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 am

Forest, have you read On the Origin of Species? Yes, yes, there are parts of it that have had to been corrected with the advancement of Evolutionary Theory, but it is still the number one book that is pretty much required reading for anyone wanting to discuss the concept, either for or against. I don't think you are really up to challenging it, unless you have read the book and can use it as a launching point to critique specific concepts within the theory.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 am

I'd like to see such a critique myself.

How about it, Forest?

DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:53 am

forest wrote:

Sorry i would say the same about you for posting the above comment.

Obviously you do not know the definition of the word Science.

Science is defined as "Knowledge from observation" which has to be testable and observable.

Science is Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.

Nobody has ever observed evolution happening. Nobody.

Nobody has ever experienced Evolution.

Nobody has ever tested evolution.

Science is Science, Evolution is not Science.

My BSc in Developmental Genetics says otherwise. Evolution is not only observable, demonstrable, and verifiable, but its rate in some species is so absolutely predictable that the mutation rate of some virii are used to more accurately date samples of stored grains from tomb grave offerings than standard C14 dating would allow.

It is not just geneticists on the molecular level who can demonstrate the progression of evolution, but any ecologist can show the ongoing competition and adaptive radiation of competing species within ecosystems. The interaction between inter and intra species competition, and of diversity both within and between species is something that more scientific journals are published monthly and quarterly than I have time to list. There are literally thousands of textbooks in any modern language in several disciplines that study this.

Saying Evolution is not Science is only correct in the sense that one theory is not the whole of any science. Pythagoras Theorem is not Math, it is a cornerstone of the discipline, but it is hardly the whole of it.

Scientific theories are always being changed as our understanding of the universe improves, the fact that the theory of evolution has shared this progression indicates that it has never been disproved, but that specifics have been modified as individual assumptions either succeeded or failed their tests. The same with Newton and Einsteins work in physics actually.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Tmarie64: Thanks for the backup. You rock.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:37 pm

I've heard it said before that Evolution happened, the theory is just about how.

Personally I thought this was a very profound statement, and could be applied to everything.

Reality is what it is. All our descriptions are just the best we can do at any given time to describe what we think reality is.

Statements that are honest, and recognize this, are better than those that don't. Statements that are willing to adapt in the light of new information are more complete than those that are not.

Evolution does this. Other "conjecture" about life on this planet does not.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I've heard it said before that Evolution happened, the theory is just about how.

Personally I thought this was a very profound statement, and could be applied to everything.

Reality is what it is. All our descriptions are just the best we can do at any given time to describe what we think reality is.

Statements that are honest, and recognize this, are better than those that don't. Statements that are willing to adapt in the light of new information are more complete than those that are not.

Evolution does this. Other "conjecture" about life on this planet does not.

all

Profound, All. Quite profound.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Evolution is still a theory and it's a theory that is constantly changing as our understanding evolves.

Humans do not yet fully understand exactly how the brain works, let alone the entire universe. We simply take what understanding we have and apply it the best way possible.

IMHO, it makes very little difference if someone believes or disbelieves in evolution since the belief, itself, changes very little.... if anything.
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:Evolution is still a theory and it's a theory that is constantly changing as our understanding evolves.

Humans do not yet fully understand exactly how the brain works, let alone the entire universe. We simply take what understanding we have and apply it the best way possible.

IMHO, it makes very little difference if someone believes or disbelieves in evolution since the belief, itself, changes very little.... if anything.

I would agree with you entirely if it were not for all the people out there who actively fight against teaching valid science in schools. Raising generations of scientifically illiterate people is dangerous in a world where increasingly complex problems demand leadership that understands and applies science.

Many people who feel the way forest does do not stop at their own beliefs. They insist on trying to wedge those beliefs into the science curriculum, and insist on fighting campaigns against teaching rigorous, honest science.
ZenYen
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Sakhaiva wrote:Evolution is still a theory and it's a theory that is constantly changing as our understanding evolves.

I agree Sak, but I have to stress the difference between the common definition of a "theory" and a scientific theory.

If I have a "theory" that means that I think I know how something is going to work enough to make a prediction about it. Then I will go out and see if things behave in the manner that I predicted it will. I can get pretty attached to my theories. I do have a pretty big ego after all. It holds me back on some things, and keeps me going on others. Anyway....

A scientific theory is not formulated in that manner. First you will observe something. Then you will formulate a hypothesis. Then you will compare this hypothesis to the null hypothesis (that there is no difference) over and over using mathmatical models. If, and only if it is first shown that there is a difference there to discern, then you can start thinking about why. Then you can test these against null hypothesis. Only after years of testing can you say that in specific circumstances, something might hold true. This is called a "scientific theory".

Proponents of other speculation make it sound like a scientific theory is something that is thought up after or during a night of hard drinking.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm

All is quite correct about the nature of a scientific theory.

I believe it was Richard Dawkins who said once that the theory of evolution is fact for all practical purposes. Scientists still refer to it as a theory because that's its technically correct label.

Essentially, we're merely amassing more and more support as time passes for the validity of Darwin's revolutionary idea.

And grotesques such as that Ben Stein swill, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, largely serve to keep people ignorant, people who unfortunately prefer to deny knowledge in favor of deliberate ignorance.
DotNotInOz
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by forest Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Evolution is not Science.
The 16th century philosopher Sir Francis Bacon, considered the founder of the scientific method, gave a pretty straightforward definition of science:
observation → induction → hypothesis → test hypothesis by experiment → proof/disproof → knowledge

As you can see the theory of evolution falls way short of this.

1. Evolution can not be observed.
2. Evolution can not be tested.
3. Evolution is not repeatable

Evolution is NOT science.

A dinosaur turning into a bird 150 Ma (million years ago) is neither observable in real time, directly or indirectly, nor repeatable, this kind of theory is a mockery to science.

Evolutionists say that YOU used to be a fish. Do you really believe that? Sounds like a Brothers Grimm fairy tale to me. It takes more faith to believe an amoeba is my daddy than God created me. Where are all those elusive transitional forms like a lizard with feathers? There should be MILLIONS of them but NOT ONE IS FOUND.

Somebody brought up fossils - FOSSILS DISPROVE EVOLUTION. Evolutionists cannot point to any transitional fossils—creatures that are half reptile and half bird, for instance. Every specie that has been found is not in any kind of transitional state, fossils are not found to be 1/2 one specie and 1/2 another, EVERY fossil that has been found has been 100% whole specie.

Science itself is the whole process of making careful observations of certain facts of nature and then constructing and testing theories that seek to explain those facts. Evolution can not be observed so nothing can be explained by it.

Evolution is not just an assault on science but it is a poor philosophy because it is presented as a foregone conclusion beyond the realm of testing.

Instead, good science does not start with conclusions but with the evidence and then it draws its conclusions. There is no evidence for evolution.

Evolution is not testable nor does it make scientific predictions because it has no mechanism to work.

Evolution depends on chance, which, by the way, is non know-how. Some say that evolution works with natural selection and mutations. Both natural selection and mutations, however, are the enemies of evolution, not the solution to it.

Natural selection has never been seen to cause the upward development from species to species needed by evolution.

Mutations, most of which are harmful, are the origin of death and disease, not life. Mutations are not natural.

One website i found wrote this (i think it fits quite nicely):

"Evolution is like a beautiful, shiny, new car with no engine. It may be nice to look at but it has no use. Thus, the only way it can survive is to willfully mislead the uninformed public, purposely conceal facts and manipulate science."

The most important requirement of empirical science is that any object or phenomenon we wish to study must first be observable. Evolution is not observable here and now saying man evolved off something millions of years ago is not based on empirical science.

What then shall we say of evolution? First, evolutionists tell us that major evolutionary changes happen far too slowly, or too rarely, to be observable in the lifetime of human observers. If it is not observable remember it is NOT science.

Even some evolutionists admit that evolution is NOT science:

According to the evolutionist Theodosius Dobzhansky, even when evolutionary changes do occur, they are by nature "unique, unrepeatable, and irreversible." Dobzhansky tells us that the "applicability of the experimental method to the study of such unique historical processes is severely restricted." The well-known evolutionist Paul Ehrlich says the theory of evolution "cannot be refuted by any possible observations" and thus is "outside of empirical science."

Still, the occurrence of evolution is widely believed to be a scientific "fact" and those who dare to doubt it are not endured gladly.

Nobody in the world has ever observed evolution:

Evolution is a hypothetical process of unlimited variation that evolutionists believe transforms one kind of living organism into a fundamentally different kind such as the transformation of reptiles into birds or apes into people. Obviously, no one has ever observed anything remotely like this actually happen.

Evolution is unscientific, because it is not testable. It makes claims about events that were not observed and can never be re-created.

Evolution is not observable testable or repeatable and thus does not qualify as either a scientific fact or theory. Evolution must be accepted with faith by its believers, many of whom deny the existence, or at least the power, of the Creator.

Evolution is a faith, EVOLUTION IS RELIGION! What religion? Atheism! Evolution says God has nothing to do with us or all of nature.

One website reads:

"There is no proof for evolution! It has to be believed, therefore it's a faith, therefore it's a religion! So they're teaching a new compulsory religion in today's hallowed halls of higher learning. Even the great high priest and founding father of this new false faith, Charles Darwin himself, confessed that "the belief (note the emphasis on belief) in natural selection (evolution) must at present be grounded entirely on general considerations. ... When we descend to details, we can prove that no one species has changed ... nor can we prove that the supposed changes are beneficial, which is the groundwork of the theory."
Darwin's ardent apostle and dedicated disciple, Thomas Henry Huxley, likewise admitted that his own opinion was NOT grounded on any true scientific facts or evidence, but was more of a "religious" expression: "I beg you once more to recollect that I have no right to call my opinion anything but an act of philosophical faith."

So Evolution is really a religion of unbelief in God. And that's its whole purpose; To eliminate faith in God.

At the core of evolutionary theory is the big assumption that life somehow arose from non-life, that by pure chance the right chemicals happened to be in the right place, in the right arrangement, at the right time, under the right conditions, and by some mysterious, unknown electrochemical process -- ????-- life created itself! This assumption is completely contrary to a universally accepted and proven law of science, known as the second law of thermodynamics, which states that "All processes (left to themselves) go toward a greater state of disorder, disorganisation, disarrangement and less complexity."

Princeton University Professor of Biology Edwin Conklin has said: "The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop."

WE NEVER HEARD YET OR THEY NEVER PROVED YET THAT ANY DOG EVER BECAME A CAT OR A CAT A DOG! There are all kinds of dogs and all kinds of cats, but there are no dog-cats or no cat-dogs! Because God created everything "after its own kind" and they can't possibly get out of that kind. They may vary within their kind or specie, but they'll never change into another! It's impossible!

THESE FACTS EVEN DISTURBED DARWIN, who questioned, "Why, if species have descended from the other species by fine gradation, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms? THIS IS BECUASE THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL FORMS. EVERY FOSSILWHICH HAS BEEN FOUND DISPROVES THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION, THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL FOSSILS OR FORMS!!

Regarding evolutionist lab experiments:

NO! NONE OF THE MANY THOU SANDS OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS WITH MUTATIONS HAVE EVER PRODUCED A NEW "KIND" OR SPECIE OF ANIMAL OR PLANT--NEVER! All of the geneticists and evolutionists, with all of their knowledge and intellect, under "perfect" laboratory conditions, and using their modern radiation techniques that speed up the occurrence of mutations a million-fold--they have utterly failed to change or mutate one "kind" into another! Yet these same evolutionists somehow expect us to believe that blind, unguided chance has produced the millions of beautiful, varying and complex forms of life on the earth today!

Hermann J. Muller, who won the 1946 Nobel prize for his contributions to the science of genetics, said, "IN MORE THAN 99 PERCENT OF CASES THE MUTATION OF A GENE PRODUCES SOME KIND OF HARMFUL EFFECT, SOME DISTURBANCE OF FUNCTION.

Some of the Information from (and yes i am fully aware some are Christian websites):

http://www.deeptruths.com/articles/big_lie_exposed.html

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evolution%20Hoax/evolution_is_stupid.htm

www.evolutionhoax.com/

http://www.biblelife.org/evolution.htm
THE FOSSIL RECORD

IF THIS BIG, RIDICULOUS, IDIOTIC LIE, THIS COMPLICATED, FABRICATED FRAMEWORK OF FICTION CALLED EVOLUTION WERE TRUE, THEN THERE SHOULD BE MORE MISSING LINKS DUG UP THAN ANYTHING ELSE! If there were billions of years of evolution, we'd be up to our ears in missing links!
Even Darwin realised this, and so said, "As by this theory innumerable transitional forms ("links") must have existed, WHY DO WE NOT FIND THEM EMBEDDED IN COUNTLESS NUMBERS IN THE CRUST OF THE EARTH? ... The number of intermediate and transitional links between all living and extinct species must have been inconceivably great. He then answered his own question about these missing links by declaring: "I believe the answer lies in the (geological) record being incomparably less perfect than is generally supposed."
BUT NOW, 120 YEARS LATER, DARWIN'S EXCUSE IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS! Literally hundreds of millions of fossils have been extracted from all fossil-bearing rock strata and none of them are "transitional forms" or missing links--they all obviously belong to a definite species! In fact, it is estimated that over 100,000 different, distinct species of fossils have been found! Yes, no "links"!

forest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm

ZenYen, ALL, Dot.... very, very excellent points. I appreciate the distinctions between a 'theory' and a 'scientific theory'

I remember speaking to a family member who was so upset that her daughter's science curriculum included evolution that she removed her daughter from school. I tried to talk to her about evolution being a 'theory' and that it was, perhaps, a good opportunity to explore both creationism and evolution. Better still, see if the two could be woven together. It might double the homework, but it could produce some interesting things and give her the opportunity to think outside the box; be creative.

~~~~~~

Looking at life from a programmer's point of view... it is far more complex than our wildest fears. The way a heart cell knows it's job is to beat ... even when removed from other heart cells.... it's marvelous, marvelous stuff. The more we learn, the more sacred every interaction becomes.... to me.

Which is why I'm a fan of sites like this: http://biologos.org/
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm

So, forest... Do YOU have any thoughts on this? Or are you going to hold true to the ignorant anti-everything-I-don't-know brigade and just copy and paste someone ELSE'S ideas?

Because, until you actually say what YOU think, and stop copying and pasting the words of OTHERS here, you have zero credibility and my friends will eat you alive.
Evolution CAN be proven... Viruses EVOLVE.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm

For future textbooks:

Evolution not scientific GodMakesTheSnakeCartoon
Sakhaiva
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down